Mentoring students - Minix

This is a discussion on Mentoring students - Minix ; Hi, My name is Chris De Vries and I am involved with the IEEE student branch at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia [1]. I am organizing a program that encourages students to become involved with open source. ...

  1. Mentoring students

    Hi,

    My name is Chris De Vries and I am involved with the IEEE student
    branch at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane,
    Australia [1]. I am organizing a program that encourages students to
    become involved with open source. I am looking for projects that are
    interested in taking on students. The branch will be running an
    information session and I am hoping to list some projects that are
    willing to mentor students. Is MINIX interested?

    Thanks,
    Chris De Vries

    [1] http://ewh.ieee.org/sb/queensland/qut/

  2. Re: Mentoring students

    Chris De Vries wrote:
    > Hi,

    > My name is Chris De Vries and I am involved with the IEEE student
    > branch at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane,
    > Australia [1]. I am organizing a program that encourages students to
    > become involved with open source. I am looking for projects that are
    > interested in taking on students. The branch will be running an
    > information session and I am hoping to list some projects that are
    > willing to mentor students. Is MINIX interested?

    Hi Chris,

    Welcome to the group MINIX is generally interested in working with
    students, a lot of students from the VU do bachelor and/or master projects
    on MINIX. Additionally, MINIX participated in the Google Summer of Code,
    hosting a couple of projects.

    I'm curious as to how you would see the "mentoring" happening. There's
    very few people on this group from Australia (if I'm correct), so
    mentoring would probably be an e-mail/IM only affair. You probably have
    given thought to this already, but I'm curious about the work a mentor
    would have to do.

    Lastly, I can advise you to contact Andrew Tanenbaum directly. He doesn't
    read this group regularly (or he just lurks), so try contacting ast
    cs vu nl directly with your proposal.
    Chances are good he's interested in thinking out projects with/for your
    students and might also know some good mentors from his personal
    experience with grad students or staff members.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Mentoring students

    On Sep 5, 5:50*pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > Chris De Vries wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > My name is Chris De Vries and I am involved with the IEEE student
    > > branch at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane,
    > > Australia [1]. I am organizing a program that encourages students to
    > > become involved with open source. I am looking for projects that are
    > > interested in taking on students. The branch will be running an
    > > information session and I am hoping to list some projects that are
    > > willing to mentor students. Is MINIX interested?

    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > Welcome to the group MINIX is generally interested in working with
    > students, a lot of students from the VU do bachelor and/or master projects
    > on MINIX. Additionally, MINIX participated in the Google Summer of Code,
    > hosting a couple of projects.
    >
    > I'm curious as to how you would see the "mentoring" happening. There's
    > very few people on this group from Australia (if I'm correct), so
    > mentoring would probably be an e-mail/IM only affair. You probably have
    > given thought to this already, but I'm curious about the work a mentor
    > would have to do.

    My idea is that mentors will be a first point of contact for a
    participating student. They can help introduce them to the community
    and answer any initial questions. I expect that their involvement will
    fade over time as the student becomes part of the development
    community. I imagine this will work best if the student is assigned a
    mentor and an initial project at the same time.

    I would also have to do some work on my end. I would like to perform
    in person checks with the students to see how they are going and help
    them overcome any problems they are having.

    > Lastly, I can advise you to contact Andrew Tanenbaum directly. He doesn't
    > read this group regularly (or he just lurks), so try contacting ast
    > cs vu nl directly with your proposal.
    > Chances are good he's interested in thinking out projects with/for your
    > students and might also know some good mentors from his personal
    > experience with grad students or staff members.

    Thanks. Will do this.

    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    Thanks,
    Chris De Vries

+ Reply to Thread