problem with floppy minix 2.0.0 installation - Minix

This is a discussion on problem with floppy minix 2.0.0 installation - Minix ; Hi everybody, I tried to install minix 2.0.0 on my old computer. I followed installation procedure available on : http://www.minix-vmd.org/pub/minix/2.0.0/install.txt but when I tried to install programms (USR.TAZ) via floppy disks, after reading the beginning of the first floppy, I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: problem with floppy minix 2.0.0 installation

  1. problem with floppy minix 2.0.0 installation

    Hi everybody,

    I tried to install minix 2.0.0 on my old computer.
    I followed installation procedure available on :
    http://www.minix-vmd.org/pub/minix/2.0.0/install.txt
    but when I tried to install programms (USR.TAZ) via floppy disks, after reading the beginning of the first floppy, I get a TAR error and the installation failed.

    Is this problem known ? I tried with other floppies and I got the same problem.
    If somebody can help ...


    --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
    ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
    -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-


  2. Re: problem with floppy minix 2.0.0 installation

    If you are not specifically inderested in the vmd version, you might look
    at:
    http://minix1.woodhull.com
    for a pre-virtual memory version of 2.0x. Minix.man, if memory serves, has
    a good description of installation.

    Hul

    lionel wrote:
    > Hi everybody,


    > I tried to install minix 2.0.0 on my old computer.
    > I followed installation procedure available on :
    > http://www.minix-vmd.org/pub/minix/2.0.0/install.txt
    > but when I tried to install programms (USR.TAZ) via floppy disks, after reading the beginning of the first floppy, I get a TAR error and the installation failed.


    > Is this problem known ? I tried with other floppies and I got the same problem.
    > If somebody can help ...



    > --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
    > ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
    > -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-



  3. Re: problem with floppy minix 2.0.0 installation

    dbr@kbrx.com wrote:
    > If you are not specifically inderested in the vmd version, you might look
    > at:
    > http://minix1.woodhull.com
    > for a pre-virtual memory version of 2.0x. Minix.man, if memory serves, has
    > a good description of installation.


    I don't believe "pre-virtual memory" is an exactly correct description.
    "Virtual-memory capable fork" is more accurate.

    The only two things I can imagine going wrong with the install is:
    - faulty floppies (they do degenerate over time, when was the last time
    _you_ bought floppies?)
    - corrupt archive. This stuff has been sitting on the Internet for ages,
    might have gotten a bit wrong by now. Try downloading from somewhere else,
    see if that helps.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    jfdsmit@few.vu.nl | http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    -- Stewart Dean

  4. Re: problem with floppy minix 2.0.0 installation

    The last time I bought floppies was from Office Depot, a nation wide store
    in the US. So far, several hundred of them have proved vastly superior to
    those from one of their competitors. Try Office Depot if available or keep
    changing suppliers untill you find one with usable floppies - they do
    exist.

    Hul

    J.F. de Smit wrote:
    > dbr@kbrx.com wrote:
    > > If you are not specifically inderested in the vmd version, you might look
    > > at:
    > > http://minix1.woodhull.com
    > > for a pre-virtual memory version of 2.0x. Minix.man, if memory serves, has
    > > a good description of installation.


    > I don't believe "pre-virtual memory" is an exactly correct description.
    > "Virtual-memory capable fork" is more accurate.


    > The only two things I can imagine going wrong with the install is:
    > - faulty floppies (they do degenerate over time, when was the last time
    > _you_ bought floppies?)
    > - corrupt archive. This stuff has been sitting on the Internet for ages,
    > might have gotten a bit wrong by now. Try downloading from somewhere else,
    > see if that helps.


    > Regards,


    > Jens


    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfdsmit@few.vu.nl | http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean


  5. Re: problem with floppy minix 2.0.0 installation

    On 4 sep, 23:40, d...@kbrx.com wrote:
    > The last time I bought floppies was from Office Depot, a nation wide store
    > in the US. So far, several hundred of them have proved vastly superior to
    > those from one of their competitors. Try Office Depot if available or keep
    > changing suppliers untill you find one with usable floppies - they do
    > exist.
    >
    > Hul
    >
    > J.F. de Smit wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > d...@kbrx.com wrote:
    > > > If you are not specifically inderested in the vmd version, you might look
    > > > at:
    > > > * * *http://minix1.woodhull.com
    > > > for a pre-virtual memory version of 2.0x. Minix.man, if memory serves, has
    > > > a good description of installation.

    > > I don't believe "pre-virtual memory" is an exactly correct description.
    > > "Virtual-memory capable fork" is more accurate.
    > > The only two things I can imagine going wrong with the install is:
    > > - faulty floppies (they do degenerate over time, when was the last time
    > > _you_ bought floppies?)
    > > - corrupt archive. This stuff has been sitting on the Internet for ages,
    > > might have gotten a bit wrong by now. Try downloading from somewhere else,
    > > see if that helps.
    > > Regards,
    > > Jens
    > > --
    > > Jens de Smit
    > > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > > -- Stewart Dean- Masquer le texte des messages prÚcÚdents -

    >
    > - Afficher le texte des messages prÚcÚdents -


    Thanks, new floppies -> install OK.

+ Reply to Thread