Google Chrome - Minix

This is a discussion on Google Chrome - Minix ; Hi, Most have you have by now probably heard about Google's new own web browser, Chrome. You can read about in at http://www.google.com/chrome or read a comic (!) on the subject at http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/# What does this have to day with ...

  1. Google Chrome

    Hi,

    Most have you have by now probably heard about Google's new own web
    browser, Chrome. You can read about in at http://www.google.com/chrome or
    read a comic (!) on the subject at
    http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/#

    What does this have to day with Minix you say? Well, reading about the
    design, I thought "this is the concept of a microkernel, but applied to a
    web browser". It separates all kinds of tasks into processes with clear
    boundaries and permissions, with the ability to just kill a process if it
    misbehaves, without destroying the browser. It really struck me as "I've
    seen this before", anoyone agree?

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  2. Re: Google Chrome

    J.F. de Smit wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Most have you have by now probably heard about Google's new own web
    > browser, Chrome. You can read about in at http://www.google.com/chrome or
    > read a comic (!) on the subject at
    > http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/#
    >
    > What does this have to day with Minix you say? Well, reading about the
    > design, I thought "this is the concept of a microkernel, but applied to a
    > web browser". It separates all kinds of tasks into processes with clear
    > boundaries and permissions, with the ability to just kill a process if it
    > misbehaves, without destroying the browser. It really struck me as "I've
    > seen this before", anoyone agree?

    Absolutely! I think the Google engineers may be reading this list, or
    the Minix 3 book.

    And they have even more reason to isolate processes since they have
    probably malicious programs (javascript, HTML, etc) arriving often over
    the 'Net.

+ Reply to Thread