Comparison of Linux/Unix binary package formats - Minix

This is a discussion on Comparison of Linux/Unix binary package formats - Minix ; Hello, A recent thread of mine turned into a discussion about package managers. I found a page that compares binary package formats for Linux and Unix and I thought some people might find it interesting: http://kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/ I wrote to joey ...

  1. Comparison of Linux/Unix binary package formats

    Hello,

    A recent thread of mine turned into a discussion about package
    managers. I found a page that compares binary package formats for
    Linux and Unix and I thought some people might find it interesting:

    http://kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/

    I wrote to joey about adding pkgsrc to the page. If anyone can find a
    comparison of deb and pkgsrc, I would love to see it. I haven't found
    anything myself.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  2. Re: Comparison of Linux/Unix binary package formats

    On Sep 1, 8:22*pm, Daniel Carrera wrote:
    > If anyone can find a comparison of deb and pkgsrc, I would love to see it..

    Ah, I found something. A series of interviews with dpkg developers:

    http://netbsd.nedmirror.nl/gallery/p...nterviews.html

    Highlights:

    - "The thing that I am interested most at the moment is good support
    for binary packages. Compared to typical Linux distributions we are
    lacking a lot of comfort here. I'd like to see a well-designed API for
    working with binary packages ... I'd like the tools for the binary
    packages to be more robust: When I interrupt one of the pkg_add or
    pkg_delete tools, I want the package database to be in a consistent
    state."

    - "The binary packages that are generated by pkgsrc are not yet
    checked to conform to any conventions. For example, on Debian, there
    is deblint, which checks that the binary packages conform to all kinds
    of useful conventions."

    - "Another big benefit of pkgsrc is its simplicity. IMHO it is much
    simpler for packagers than deb and rpm"

    - "It is very interesting to have only one packaging system for all
    operating systems that are in use. Contributions to cross-platform
    packaging system will always matter. This provides more freedom in
    selecting different operating systems: Which operating system you ever
    choose, you can always use pkgsrc. I'm confused why the MINIX 3 people
    still don't use pkgsrc :-)"

    - "I think source-based upgrade is good for developers and have very
    important benefits. But for end-users and admins binary upgrades are
    preferable. It would be great to see a tool for binary upgrades as
    easy and powerful as Linux/Debian's apt is."

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

+ Reply to Thread