Building Minix on Linux - Minix

This is a discussion on Building Minix on Linux - Minix ; Hi Everybody, I'm trying to port the building of Minix on Linux. I believe, doing so will certainly boost the adoption of Minix. I've created a project on code.google.com for the same. svn checkout http://powerpack.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ powerpack-read- only I've got to ...

  1. Building Minix on Linux

    Hi Everybody,
    I'm trying to port the building of Minix on Linux. I believe, doing so
    will certainly boost the adoption of Minix.
    I've created a project on code.google.com for the same.

    svn checkout http://powerpack.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ powerpack-read-
    only

    I've got to a point where GRUB is able to load the ELF kernel compiled
    using start.c (mostly commented) and table.c - I am slowly going to
    add more files in the makefile and see that the RING 0 entities get
    loaded by GRUB.

    Regards,
    Kashyap

  2. Re: Building Minix on Linux

    On Sep 1, 12:24*pm, kashyap wrote:
    > Hi Everybody,
    > I'm trying to port the building of Minix on Linux. I believe, doing so
    > will certainly boost the adoption of Minix.

    Anything that boosts the adoption of Minix sounds good to me. So the
    idea is that if people can develop Minix device drivers from the
    comfort of their favourite operating system, more people will do it?

    When I think of boosting Minix adoption, the first things that cross
    my mind are virtual memory, drivers and applications.

    For now I'm focusing on learning how Minix works.

    Daniel.

  3. Re: Building Minix on Linux

    > Anything that boosts the adoption of Minix sounds good to me. So the
    > idea is that if people can develop Minix device drivers from the
    > comfort of their favourite operating system, more people will do it?

    Yes, that is correct.

    > When I think of boosting Minix adoption, the first things that cross
    > my mind are virtual memory, drivers and applications.

    I am also exploring Minix now - what exactly do you mean by virtual
    memory here?

    > For now I'm focusing on learning how Minix works.

    I am hoping that the exercise of doing the port will help me grasp
    Minix!

    Regards,
    Kashyap

  4. Re: Building Minix on Linux

    On Sep 2, 6:55*am, kashyap wrote:
    > > When I think of boosting Minix adoption, the first things that cross
    > > my mind are virtual memory, drivers and applications.

    > I am also exploring Minix now - what exactly do you mean by virtual
    > memory here?

    Virtual memory is a technique that makes the program think that it has
    a contiguous chunk of memory while in reality it is sprea out in
    diferent chunks in RAM. VM is what allows a program's memory to grow.
    Without VM the program is stuck with whatever memory it got when it
    first started, and if it's not enough, he program can't run.

    As you can imagine, virtual memory is most important for larger
    programs. The X server, a window manager, most GUI programs, all
    require larger chunks of memory. Minix has a tool called 'chmem' that
    lets you tell the OS how much memory a program needs before it runs.
    This tool helps aleviate the problem, but it is only a temporary
    measure. True VM is the only solution.

    Virtual memory is also necessary before you can have a swap partition.
    After all, the whole point of swap is that some of the memory gets
    broken off and put in the disk. Some people think that "virtual
    memory" means "swap", but they are confused. Virtual memory is only
    part of what goes into swap, and swap is only one of the benefits of
    virtual memory.

    A last problem that VM solves is memory fragmentation. Suppose you
    want to run a 10MB program but all you have in RAM is twenty separate
    1MB blocks. Even though you have enough memory, the program can't run
    because the memory is not contiguous.

    You can see now why I rank virtual memory so high on the priority
    list

    > I am hoping that the exercise of doing the port will help me grasp
    > Minix!

    Good luck.

    Daniel.

  5. Re: Building Minix on Linux

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:26:43 -0700 (PDT)
    Daniel Carrera wrote:

    > Virtual memory is also necessary before you can have a swap partition.
    > After all, the whole point of swap is that some of the memory gets
    > broken off and put in the disk. Some people think that "virtual
    > memory" means "swap", but they are confused. Virtual memory is only
    > part of what goes into swap, and swap is only one of the benefits of
    > virtual memory.

    The other big advantage, of course, is shared objects: they're actually
    shared if you have virtual memory. Plus programs load faster, because
    they don't need to be loaded completely; they get pages loaded on
    demand because programs and their libraries are essentially treated as
    read-only swap.

    B.

  6. Re: Building Minix on Linux

    Rob Kendrick wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:26:43 -0700 (PDT)
    > Daniel Carrera wrote:

    >> Virtual memory is also necessary before you can have a swap partition.
    >> After all, the whole point of swap is that some of the memory gets
    >> broken off and put in the disk. Some people think that "virtual
    >> memory" means "swap", but they are confused. Virtual memory is only
    >> part of what goes into swap, and swap is only one of the benefits of
    >> virtual memory.

    > The other big advantage, of course, is shared objects: they're actually
    > shared if you have virtual memory. Plus programs load faster, because
    > they don't need to be loaded completely; they get pages loaded on
    > demand because programs and their libraries are essentially treated as
    > read-only swap.

    In the current situation, a substantial amount of time is spent in
    clearing memory areas when doing stuff that involves creating lots of
    processes, such as rebuilding the system. Every invocation of the
    compiler creates a new process which needs a "clean" data and stack
    segment because otherwise it would be possible to snoop on processes
    previously in the same memory space, which violates process separation
    rules. VM will probably speed up large make jobs significantly.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  7. Re: Building Minix on Linux

    And right now we can't run the HINT benchmark because it requires the
    ability to grow memory. And that's a real shame because HINT is the
    best benchmark I've seen yet.

    http://hint.byu.edu/
    http://hint.byu.edu/documentation/Gu...rformance.html

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  8. Re: Building Minix on Linux

    kashyap escreveu:

    > I'm trying to port the building of Minix on Linux. I believe, doing so
    > will certainly boost the adoption of Minix.
    > I've created a project on code.google.com for the same.

    Are you planing to try to have it compile with GCC?
    It would be interesting to do some performance tests.

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

  9. Re: Building Minix on Linux

    > Are you planing to try to have it compile with GCC?
    > It would be interesting to do some performance tests.

    I am using GCC for now. I had tried to get ACK to work on Linux first
    but gave it up later.

    You can check it out from here -
    http://powerpack.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ powerpack-read-
    only

    I work on it mostly on weekends.

  10. Re: Building Minix on Linux

    kashyap escreveu:

    >> Are you planing to try to have it compile with GCC?
    >> It would be interesting to do some performance tests.

    > I am using GCC for now. I had tried to get ACK to work on Linux first
    > but gave it up later.
    >
    > You can check it out from here -
    > http://powerpack.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ powerpack-read-
    > only
    >
    > I work on it mostly on weekends.

    I thought ACK ran on Linux too...

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

+ Reply to Thread