x on minix not working help - Minix

This is a discussion on x on minix not working help - Minix ; p4 1600mhz 768 ram I installed all 46 packages from cdrom; went fine. I ran xm as root and the prompt returnde # immediatly. not sure what to do ati rage 128 video card I ran xorgconfig and did what ...

  1. x on minix not working help

    p4 1600mhz 768 ram
    I installed all 46 packages from cdrom; went fine.
    I ran xm as root and the prompt returnde # immediatly.
    not sure what to do
    ati rage 128 video card
    I ran xorgconfig and did what I normally do to get x going
    did startx
    it said x already running on display 0 remove lock file /tmp/blahX0
    I did
    startx again
    nothing
    help
    3com ethernet card
    ping www.google.com not working
    what am I doing wrong?

  2. Re: x on minix not working help

    gavino wrote:
    > p4 1600mhz 768 ram
    > I installed all 46 packages from cdrom; went fine.
    > I ran xm as root and the prompt returnde # immediatly.
    > not sure what to do
    > ati rage 128 video card
    > I ran xorgconfig and did what I normally do to get x going
    > did startx
    > it said x already running on display 0 remove lock file /tmp/blahX0
    > I did
    > startx again
    > nothing
    > help
    > 3com ethernet card
    > ping www.google.com not working
    > what am I doing wrong?

    Hi,

    - for the X problem, search this newsgroup, the problem knows a simple fix
    that you can find in another topic
    - only a few 3com cards are supported, all ISA as far as I know. Seeing
    how you have a P4 i suspect you only have PCI slots. Look around for a
    cheap NE2000 NIC or similar.

    Regards,

    Jens

    P.S. punctuation and capitalization make your posts more readable

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: x on minix not working help

    On Sep 1, 12:10*pm, gavino wrote:
    > p4 1600mhz 768 ram
    > I installed all 46 packages from cdrom; went fine.
    > I ran xm as root and the prompt returnde # immediatly.
    > not sure what to do

    I had a similar problem. I had to use chmem to fix it. The problem for
    me is that the X server was trying to grab more memory than I had
    available. You could have the opposite problem, where the X server
    doesn't grab enough memory. Either way, the chmem command lets you
    adjust how much memory each process can take. Btw, I had to do the
    same thing for the window manager, so I actually needed two chmem
    commands.

    As I understand it, this should be fixed when Minix gets virtual
    memory support. The guy working on it sounds optimistic about the
    project prospects.

    > 3com ethernet card
    > ping www.google.com not working
    > what am I doing wrong?

    You don't happen to be using Qemu, do you? You can't ping from Qemu.

    Daniel.

  4. Re: x on minix not working help

    On Sep 1, 6:35*am, Daniel Carrera wrote:
    > On Sep 1, 12:10*pm, gavino wrote:
    >
    > > p4 1600mhz 768 ram
    > > I installed all 46 packages from cdrom; went fine.
    > > I ran xm as root and the prompt returnde # immediatly.
    > > not sure what to do

    > I had a similar problem. I had to use chmem to fix it. The problem for
    > me is that the X server was trying to grab more memory than I had
    > available. You could have the opposite problem, where the X server
    > doesn't grab enough memory. Either way, the chmem command lets you
    > adjust how much memory each process can take. Btw, I had to do the
    > same thing for the window manager, so I actually needed two chmem
    > commands.
    >
    > As I understand it, this should be fixed when Minix gets virtual
    > memory support. The guy working on it sounds optimistic about the
    > project prospects.
    >
    > > 3com ethernet card
    > > pingwww.google.comnot working
    > > what am I doing wrong?

    > You don't happen to be using Qemu, do you? You can't ping from Qemu.
    >
    > Daniel.

    I don't know what the problem is.
    typical 3x90 card

  5. Re: x on minix not working help

    On Sep 1, 3:45*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > gavino wrote:
    > > p4 1600mhz 768 ram
    > > I installed all 46 packages from cdrom; went fine.
    > > I ran xm as root and the prompt returnde # immediatly.
    > > not sure what to do
    > > ati rage 128 video card
    > > I ran xorgconfig and did what I normally do to get x going
    > > did startx
    > > it said x already running on display 0 remove lock file /tmp/blahX0
    > > I did
    > > startx again
    > > nothing
    > > help
    > > 3com ethernet card
    > > pingwww.google.comnot working
    > > what am I doing wrong?

    > Hi,
    >
    > - for the X problem, search this newsgroup, the problem knows a simple fix
    > that you can find in another topic
    > - only a few 3com cards are supported, all ISA as far as I know. Seeing
    > how you have a P4 i suspect you only have PCI slots. Look around for a
    > cheap NE2000 NIC or similar.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > P.S. punctuation and capitalization make your posts more readable
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    oh crap ISA slots?
    Im 99% sure Im pci
    no pci 3com drivers?
    aggg!!

  6. Re: x on minix not working help

    On Sep 1, 3:45*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > gavino wrote:
    > > p4 1600mhz 768 ram
    > > I installed all 46 packages from cdrom; went fine.
    > > I ran xm as root and the prompt returnde # immediatly.
    > > not sure what to do
    > > ati rage 128 video card
    > > I ran xorgconfig and did what I normally do to get x going
    > > did startx
    > > it said x already running on display 0 remove lock file /tmp/blahX0
    > > I did
    > > startx again
    > > nothing
    > > help
    > > 3com ethernet card
    > > pingwww.google.comnot working
    > > what am I doing wrong?

    > Hi,
    >
    > - for the X problem, search this newsgroup, the problem knows a simple fix
    > that you can find in another topic
    > - only a few 3com cards are supported, all ISA as far as I know. Seeing
    > how you have a P4 i suspect you only have PCI slots. Look around for a
    > cheap NE2000 NIC or similar.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > P.S. punctuation and capitalization make your posts more readable
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    3com 3c905 nic pci

  7. Re: x on minix not working help

    On Sep 3, 7:27 pm, gavino wrote:
    > On Sep 1, 3:45 am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    >

    > > gavino wrote:
    > > > p4 1600mhz 768 ram
    > > > I installed all 46 packages from cdrom; went fine.
    > > > I ran xm as root and the prompt returnde # immediatly.
    > > > not sure what to do
    > > > ati rage 128 video card
    > > > I ran xorgconfig and did what I normally do to get x going
    > > > did startx
    > > > it said x already running on display 0 remove lock file /tmp/blahX0
    > > > I did
    > > > startx again
    > > > nothing
    > > > help
    > > > 3com ethernet card
    > > > pingwww.google.comnotworking
    > > > what am I doing wrong?

    > > Hi,

    > > - for the X problem, search this newsgroup, the problem knows a simple fix
    > > that you can find in another topic
    > > - only a few 3com cards are supported, all ISA as far as I know. Seeing
    > > how you have a P4 i suspect you only have PCI slots. Look around for a
    > > cheap NE2000 NIC or similar.

    > > Regards,

    > > Jens

    > > P.S. punctuation and capitalization make your posts more readable

    > > --
    > > Jens de Smit
    > > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > > -- Stewart Dean

    > 3com 3c905 nic pci

    ati rage 128 video card

  8. Re: x on minix not working help

    gavino wrote:
    > 3com 3c905 nic pci

    Thought so. Great card, but no-one ever developed a driver for it. You'll
    need to find an NE2000, AMD LANCE or Realtek 8029/8139 compatible card, I
    know there are PCI versions of those cards out there.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  9. Re: x on minix not working help

    On Sep 4, 12:08*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > gavino wrote:
    > > 3com 3c905 nic pci

    > Thought so. Great card, but no-one ever developed a driver for it. You'll
    > need to find an NE2000, AMD LANCE or Realtek 8029/8139 compatible card, I
    > know there are PCI versions of those cards out there.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    Do you find minix nicer than linux?
    If so why?
    are you an os researcher?

  10. Re: x on minix not working help

    gavino wrote:
    > On Sep 4, 12:08?am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    >> gavino wrote:

    > Do you find minix nicer than linux?

    Yes and no.

    > If so why?

    Yes because the structure of the system is way better than Linux for
    certain applications, such as education, development and reliable systems.
    No, because it misses some features, most notably virtual memory, hardware
    support and applications.

    > are you an os researcher?

    No, I'm a computer science student. I might do something with OS research
    in my future employment, but I'm not an "OS researcher" per se.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit