dpkg linking problem - Minix

This is a discussion on dpkg linking problem - Minix ; Hi, I tried to compile Debians packet management tool. After some trying and hacking, the package compiles, but I have still some errors with the linker. If someone has a idea how I can resolve this, please let me now. ...

  1. dpkg linking problem

    Hi, I tried to compile Debians packet management tool. After some trying
    and hacking, the package compiles, but I have still some errors with the
    linker.

    If someone has a idea how I can resolve this, please let me now.

    Regards

    Errors:
    Making all in src
    gcc -std=gnu99 -g -O2 -Wl,-O1 -o dpkg archives.o cleanup.o \
    configure.o depcon.o enquiry.o \
    errors.o filesdb.o help.o \
    main.o packages.o processarc.o \
    remove.o select.o update.o ../intl/libintl.a ../lib/libdpkg.a -lz
    archives.o: In function `_cu_fileslist':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/src/archives.c:151: undefined reference to
    `_obstack_free'
    archives.o: In function `_addfiletolist':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/src/archives.c:322: undefined reference to
    `__obstack_newchunk'
    archives.o: In function `_tarobject':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/src/archives.c:143: undefined reference to
    `__obstack_begin'
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/src/archives.c:534: undefined reference to
    `_obstack_free'
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/src/archives.c:614: undefined reference to
    `_fchown'
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/src/archives.c:619: undefined reference to
    `_fchmod'
    configure.o: In function `_deferred_configure':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/src/configure.c:520: undefined reference to
    `_getpgid'
    help.o: In function `_chmodsafe_unlink_statted':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/src/help.c:475: undefined reference to
    `_S_ISSOCK'
    select.o: In function `_getselections':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/src/select.c:76: undefined reference to
    `_fnmatch'
    .../lib/libdpkg.a(dbmodify.o): In function `_log_message':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/lib/dbmodify.c:308: undefined reference to
    `_setlinebuf'
    .../lib/libdpkg.a(nfmalloc.o): In function `_nffreeall':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/lib/nfmalloc.c:66: undefined reference to
    `_obstack_free'
    .../lib/libdpkg.a(nfmalloc.o): In function `_nfobstack_init':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/lib/nfmalloc.c:43: undefined reference to
    `__obstack_begin'
    .../lib/libdpkg.a(nfmalloc.o): In function `_nfstrnsave':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/lib/nfmalloc.c:61: undefined reference to
    `__obstack_newchunk'
    .../lib/libdpkg.a(nfmalloc.o): In function `_nfmalloc':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/lib/nfmalloc.c:51: undefined reference to
    `__obstack_newchunk'
    .../lib/libdpkg.a(nfmalloc.o): In function `_nfstrsave':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/lib/nfmalloc.c:56: undefined reference to
    `__obstack_newchunk'
    .../lib/libdpkg.a(compat.o): In function `_strsignal':
    /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/lib/compat.c:99: undefined reference to
    `_sys_siglist'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make in /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25/src: Exit code 1
    make in /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25: Exit code 1
    make in /usr/src/debian/dpkg-1.13.25: Exit code 1

  2. Re: dpkg linking problem

    On Aug 28, 10:10*pm, kab wrote:
    > Hi, I tried to compile Debians packet management tool. After some trying
    > and hacking, the package compiles, but I have still some errors with the
    > linker.
    >
    > If someone has a idea how I can resolve this, please let me now.

    I don't know, but you could ask at the debian-dpkg mailing list.
    That's the list dedicated to the devlopment of dpkg. They are bound to
    know the answer:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/

    Daniel.

  3. Re: dpkg linking problem

    On Aug 28, 10:10*pm, kab wrote:
    > Hi, I tried to compile Debians packet management tool. After some trying
    > and hacking, the package compiles, but I have still some errors with the
    > linker.
    >
    > If someone has a idea how I can resolve this, please let me now.

    Looks like you're missing:
    1 http://eli-project.sourceforge.net/elionline/lib_1.html (see obstack
    part)
    2 Standard (Linux) C library functions that are not (yet) implemented
    on Minix

    Probably you'll have to do number 2 by hand.

    I do recall seeing fnmatch in the standard C library in Minix 3.1.3.
    Which version are you using?

    Marco

  4. Re: dpkg linking problem

    > 2 Standard (Linux) C library functions that are not (yet) implemented
    > on Minix

    I have assumed that Minix is using glibc

    > I do recall seeing fnmatch in the standard C library in Minix 3.1.3.
    > Which version are you using?

    The last VMWare image. 3.1.2a

    It would be nice if someone could make a new one with almost all
    software installed.

    > Marco

  5. Re: dpkg linking problem

    On Aug 29, 9:45*am, kab wrote:
    > > 2 Standard (Linux) C library functions that are not (yet) implemented
    > > on Minix

    > I have assumed that Minix is using glibc

    No, it has its own separate C library. But the man you are talking to
    (Marco, not me) is working on a port of glibc and the entire Gtk+
    stack!

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....aa2a48a63781b9

    Very cool stuff. Way to go Marco!

    I see some really interesting developments here. I eagerly look
    forward to seeing how the Gtk+ port and the dpkg port progress.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  6. Re: dpkg linking problem

    On Aug 29, 10:23*am, Daniel Carrera wrote:
    > No, it has its own separate C library. But the man you are talking to
    > (Marco, not me) is working on a port of glibc and the entire Gtk+
    > stack!

    For the record. That is glib without the c, which is not very
    spectacular. Glibc is an implementation of system calls for the Linux
    Kernel, which is of little use to us. Minix just has its own libc
    which is gradually getting more complete. A lot of software will
    already compile out-of-the-box (after configuring your environment
    correctly). Since the system calls that are still missing are usually
    somewhat exotic you may try to add a dummy implementation to the code
    and see if anything important breaks.

    > I see some really interesting developments here. I eagerly look
    > forward to seeing how the Gtk+ port and the dpkg port progress.

    Well, GTK+ is pretty much usable. It's just waiting for someone to
    port AbiWord, Gnumeric, Xfce, and maybe even Firefox.

    Marco

  7. Re: dpkg linking problem

    On Aug 29, 3:41*pm, Marco Slot wrote:
    > For the record. That is glib without the c, which is not very
    > spectacular. Glibc is an implementation of system calls for the Linux
    > Kernel, which is of little use to us. Minix just has its own libc
    > which is gradually getting more complete.

    Ok. I didn't know that. Then I admit I don't know what glib is.

    > > I see some really interesting developments here. I eagerly look
    > > forward to seeing how the Gtk+ port and the dpkg port progress.

    > Well, GTK+ is pretty much usable. It's just waiting for someone to
    > port AbiWord, Gnumeric, Xfce, and maybe even Firefox.

    Do you plan to submit GTK+ to wherever Minix keeps its packages?

    I think XFCE would work great on Minix. I've never ported a single
    program in my life. I'm not even very good at C. I might give it a
    shot anyways. First I'd need to buy a couple of components to get my
    spare PC running.

    Daniel.

  8. Re: dpkg linking problem

    Daniel Carrera escreveu:

    > On Aug 29, 3:41¬*pm, Marco Slot wrote:
    >> For the record. That is glib without the c, which is not very
    >> spectacular. Glibc is an implementation of system calls for the Linux
    >> Kernel, which is of little use to us. Minix just has its own libc
    >> which is gradually getting more complete.

    > Ok. I didn't know that. Then I admit I don't know what glib is.

    I don't know either, but I knew it was a different beast. It has _something_
    to do with GTK+ & Gnome et all.

    > Do you plan to submit GTK+ to wherever Minix keeps its packages?

    That "wherever" is the official SVN reporitory. (I mean, the sources)

    > I think XFCE would work great on Minix. I've never ported a single
    > program in my life. I'm not even very good at C. I might give it a
    > shot anyways. First I'd need to buy a couple of components to get my
    > spare PC running.

    I've one week ago "ported" hexedit, which is a fairly known hex editor
    developed for Linux (I'm talking about the "black" one, not the "blue"
    one).
    I wrote "ported" (between inverted commas) cause it compiled nearly
    out-of-the-box. I just needed to figure out that I needed to install
    ncurses and gcc, and altered a source file to #include ncurses.h instead of
    curses.h. Otherwise it wouldn't compile.
    Even having compiled it did not displayed the offset correctly, and one time
    hexedit crashed the system.
    I think it was caused by the filesystem not being multithreaded (that is: it
    only receives() new messages after completing the last received() one).
    It's also possible that it's caused because my hard disk is a lot crappy and
    DMA fails pretty often. Linux has some problems with it too. I kill anyone
    that tells me WDC makes good hard disks!

    I don't know much about curses programming. That was my main problem. :-)

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

  9. Re: dpkg linking problem

    Daniel Carrera wrote:
    > I think XFCE would work great on Minix.

    Wouldn't LXDE do it much nicer? :-)

    --
    Saludos,
    Angel

    O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail and posts - www.asciiribbon.org

  10. Re: dpkg linking problem

    Marco Slot wrote:

    > For the record. That is glib without the c, which is not very
    > spectacular. Glibc is an implementation of system calls for the Linux
    > Kernel, which is of little use to us.

    Glibc is a C library for POSIX systems (and systems that emulate it by
    wrapping arround their native API). You can use it as long as you
    reimplement the base functions to call the system calls.

    JJ

+ Reply to Thread