Re: Greetings / Project Goals - Minix

This is a discussion on Re: Greetings / Project Goals - Minix ; On Aug 28, 8:32*pm, Angel wrote: > Daniel Carrera wrote: > > Are we having a discussion about possible package managers for Minix > > 3? > > If so, how about porting pkgsrc from NetBSD? I know nothing about ...

  1. Re: Greetings / Project Goals

    On Aug 28, 8:32*pm, Angel wrote:
    > Daniel Carrera wrote:
    > > Are we having a discussion about possible package managers for Minix
    > > 3?

    > If so, how about porting pkgsrc from NetBSD?

    I know nothing about pkgsrc, but on their website it says:

    "pkgsrc is designed with portability in mind and consists of highly
    portable code. This allows the greatest speed of development when
    porting to new a platform. This portability also ensures that pkgsrc
    is consistent across all platforms."

    That's encouraging.

    But I really can't juddge pkgsrc. I've never used it, and I hadn't
    even heard about it until today. I have no idea how well it works with
    binary packages for example, or how good its dependency resolution is.

    In any event, the current packman works fine for now. It'll be some
    time before there is a strong need for another package manager, but
    when that happens, I think it makes sense to pick an existing package
    manager that is well tested and has the right features. I know that
    apt would be a great option. I don't know pkgsrc, but I'm reading
    about it:

    http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/

    Daniel.

  2. Re: Greetings / Project Goals

    Daniel Carrera escreveu:

    > But I really can't juddge pkgsrc. I've never used it, and I hadn't
    > even heard about it until today. I have no idea how well it works with
    > binary packages for example, or how good its dependency resolution is.

    What I would like for any Unix-based OS is a package manager that:

    - offers you official source tarballs to be compiled from source, and
    allows you to chose the compilation options you want; then compiles the
    source automatically

    - behaves the same as above, but omits the automatic compilation stage, to
    allow the user to break the rules if they want/know what they are doing;
    while still alowing the package to be properly marked as installed for
    dependency resolution purposes

    - offers you binary packages for being installed out-of-the-box when the
    user wants the stuff to work without much trouble and without wasting much
    time; my view is that even the advanced user wants this sometimes

    This is what I *would* like. Of course, each of these objectives takes an
    entire team of developers to be done reasonably (look only at the number of
    problems that Portage usually has), and I don't believe Minix to be able to
    fulfill it at the moment, unless a miraculous maintenance solution is
    invented.

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

  3. Re: Greetings / Project Goals

    Daniel Carrera wrote:
    > But I really can't juddge pkgsrc. I've never used it, and I hadn't
    > even heard about it until today. I have no idea how well it works with
    > binary packages for example, or how good its dependency resolution is.

    It does it brilliantly, as package managers on all xBSDs.

    > when that happens, I think it makes sense to pick an existing package
    > manager that is well tested and has the right features. I know that
    > apt would be a great option.

    I agree with you here; dpkg (which is actually the package management
    system in Debian GNU/Linux ---which I'm using since 1994 or 05---) (apt
    is a wrap around it, actually) is simply great, very stable and robust.

    > I don't know pkgsrc, but I'm reading about it:
    > http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/

    The same is true for pkgsrc, that's why I brought it here in the first
    place, and also for people who don't know it and might like it. You
    won't regret learning about it. :-)

    --
    Saludos,
    Angel