Trouble booting from floppy - Minix

This is a discussion on Trouble booting from floppy - Minix ; Hi, I created a boot floppy with the following command: $installboot -b /dev/fd0 /usr/mdef/bootblock boot image It said scribbling and completed it successfully. I then restarted the machine and the boot seemed to happen from floppy- Hit a key as ...

  1. Trouble booting from floppy

    Hi,

    I created a boot floppy with the following command:

    $installboot -b /dev/fd0 /usr/mdef/bootblock boot image

    It said scribbling and completed it successfully.

    I then restarted the machine and the boot seemed to happen from
    floppy-

    Hit a key as follows
    = Start Minix

    I pressed = and it went on

    cs ds test data bss stack"

    a lot of numbers below this table etc....and it said

    "Insert the root diskette and then hit RETURN"

    Since I did not have any other diskette, I pressed ENTER

    It continued by displaying the Minix Banner

    Building process table: pm fs rs ds tty mem log init
    Physical memory: total 2094016 KB system 5700KB free 2088316KB
    PCI:video memory for device at 7.1.0:16777216Bytes
    atapci Skipping unsupported RAID controllers 0x9005 / 0x0285
    Root device name is /dev/ram
    Replacing root
    exec: /bin/sh: Not a directory
    init: /usr/adm/wtmp:Not a directory

    It just hangs after this... nothing happens.

    How can I overcome this and boot through the floppy ?

    thanks in advance

    - Krish

  2. Re: Trouble booting from floppy

    mailkrishnas@gmail.com wrote:

    > It just hangs after this... nothing happens.

    > How can I overcome this and boot through the floppy ?

    MINIX doesn't fit on one floppy. You can use the bootflop to load the
    kernel, but you'll need another data carrier (floppy, CD-ROM) to contain
    the necessary files. You can see exec complaining that it can't find
    /bin/sh, this is probably because it is not on the bootflop. It should be
    possible to find instructions somewhere how to get a root file system on a
    floppy, but I don't know where by heart.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit