Cyclone - Minix

This is a discussion on Cyclone - Minix ; Hello, Does anyone know if the Cyclone programming language is still being developed? The "who is doing what" page says that someone is porting Minix 3 to Cyclone. But I can't find almost any information about Cyclone. Their website appears ...

  1. Cyclone

    Hello,

    Does anyone know if the Cyclone programming language is still being
    developed? The "who is doing what" page says that someone is porting
    Minix 3 to Cyclone. But I can't find almost any information about
    Cyclone. Their website appears to be gone (http://
    cyclone.thelanguage.org) and I saw a forum comment that the project
    appears dead.

    Does anyone know if Cyclone is alive and if Minix really is being
    ported to Cyclone?

    Daniel.

  2. Re: Cyclone

    "Daniel Carrera" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know if the Cyclone programming language is still being
    > developed? The "who is doing what" page says that someone is porting
    > Minix 3 to Cyclone. But I can't find almost any information about
    > Cyclone. Their website appears to be gone (http://
    > cyclone.thelanguage.org) and I saw a forum comment that the project
    > appears dead.
    >
    > Does anyone know if Cyclone is alive and if Minix really is being
    > ported to Cyclone?
    >
    > Daniel.

    Hi,

    I'm the one listed on the "who is doing what" page as working on Minix with
    Cyclone.

    The website http://cyclone.thelanguage.org is not gone. It just isn't
    updated.
    As far as I know they stopped development as well.

    During my work, which has been slow, I had to make some programs to make up
    for some lacking features, but all in all Cyclone can be used on Minix.

    Porting Minix itself has been harder as the servers and drivers have some
    requirements that Cyclone doesn't take into consideration (like talking to
    tty directly instead of using the standard library calls).
    I'm porting parts of Minix to test if it is feasable. A small driver is
    already running and a larger part (some server) is planned.

    If you have any questions, let me know.

    Joren

  3. Re: Cyclone

    On Sep 4, 5:59*pm, "Joren l'Ami"
    wrote:
    > The websitehttp://cyclone.thelanguage.orgis not gone. It just isn't
    > updated.
    > As far as I know they stopped development as well.
    >
    > During my work, which has been slow, I had to make some programs to make up
    > for some lacking features, but all in allCyclonecan be used on Minix.
    >
    > Porting Minix itself has been harder as the servers and drivers have some
    > requirements that Cyclone doesn't take into consideration (like talking to
    > tty directly instead of using the standard library calls).
    > I'm porting parts of Minix to test if it is feasable. A small driver is
    > already running and a larger part (some server) is planned.
    >
    > If you have any questions, let me know.

    Hi Joren,

    I think you are doing some very interesting work. Since Minix aims to
    be a highly reliable OS, the idea of writing it in Cyclone is
    interesting. So sad though that they stopped development of Cyclone.

    You said that server and drivers are hard to port. Do you have plans
    to port the kernel too? I'm just curious.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  4. Re: Cyclone

    "Daniel Carrera" wrote:
    > Hi Joren,
    >
    > I think you are doing some very interesting work. Since Minix aims to
    > be a highly reliable OS, the idea of writing it in Cyclone is
    > interesting. So sad though that they stopped development of Cyclone.

    Fortunately they did reach a version 1.0
    Although it has some missing features, it does work

    > You said that server and drivers are hard to port. Do you have plans
    > to port the kernel too? I'm just curious.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Daniel.

    My plans currently don't incorporate the kernel. Although I have done some
    work on in it at first.
    It should be doable, but again is a little bit harder than servers and
    drivers.

    The toughest part will be to get Cyclone working without relying on mallocs
    or writing a malloc for the kernel as Cyclone requires this.
    I could disable the garbage collector Cyclone uses but then I still have to
    watch the generated code to guarantee no mallocs are used.

    Working on a bigger server, will give me better insight. And if I choose to
    do the PM I might have to tackle some of these exact problems. So this will
    be a good test.

    Joren

+ Reply to Thread