creating Minix mountable images - Minix

This is a discussion on creating Minix mountable images - Minix ; Hi I get that Minix can't mount cd images that wasn't created using the right file system. I want to transfer files between my Minix and Linux systems, by creating an image of the files in Linux and mount them ...

  1. creating Minix mountable images

    Hi
    I get that Minix can't mount cd images that wasn't created using the
    right file system. I want to transfer files between my Minix and Linux
    systems, by creating an image of the files in Linux and mount them in
    Minix. I've tried with mkisofs without any real success. So how can I
    create mountable cd images of directories in linux that Minix can use?

    thanks
    Dan Lavigne

  2. Re: creating Minix mountable images

    On August 27, 2008 16:11, in comp.os.minix, frame (almostovernow@gmail.com)
    wrote:

    > Hi
    > I get that Minix can't mount cd images that wasn't created using the
    > right file system. I want to transfer files between my Minix and Linux
    > systems, by creating an image of the files in Linux and mount them in
    > Minix. I've tried with mkisofs without any real success. So how can I
    > create mountable cd images of directories in linux that Minix can use?

    Why not format a partition, or other mountable media, with the Minix fs, and
    use that? Linux supports "minix" as a mountable filesystem type, and (of
    course) Minix does as well.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: creating Minix mountable images

    frame escreveu:

    > I get that Minix can't mount cd images that wasn't created using the
    > right file system. I want to transfer files between my Minix and Linux
    > systems, by creating an image of the files in Linux and mount them in
    > Minix. I've tried with mkisofs without any real success. So how can I
    > create mountable cd images of directories in linux that Minix can use?

    I think your best chanches are:
    - tar the files together in Linux, write the tar to free partition you have
    and untar it under Minix.
    - mkdosfs one free partition you have, copy the ffiles there normally, then
    go to Minix, install mtools, configure it to call your partition by a drive
    letter (in /etc/mtools.conf), and write "mdir l:" (where l: is the drive
    letter you chose)

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

  4. Re: creating Minix mountable images

    > I get that Minix can't mount cd images that wasn't created using the
    > right file system. I want to transfer files between my Minix and Linux
    > systems, by creating an image of the files in Linux and mount them in
    > Minix. I've tried with mkisofs without any real success. So how can I
    > create mountable cd images of directories in linux that Minix can use?

    In addition to the suggestions by Lew and Joo, you can also use the
    isodir/isoread utilities to use ISO CD-ROMs and dosdir/dosread/doswrite
    to use FAT partitions, even though you cannot mount them. To transfer
    multiple files at ones you can use a TAR file stored on such a
    partition; this may be more convenient than writing the TAR file to a
    partition instead of the file system.

    Also note that you can use FTP to transfer files between Minix and
    other computers (obviously this will not help for other operating
    systems on a multiboot system). Minix has both a client and a server.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  5. Re: creating Minix mountable images

    On Aug 28, 12:07*am, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > Why not format apartition, or other mountable media, with the Minix fs, and
    > use that? Linux supports "minix" as a mountable filesystem type, and (of
    > course) Minix does as well.
    >
    > --
    > Lew Pitcher
    >
    > Master Codewright & JOAT-in-training | Registered Linux User #112576http://pitcher.digitalfreehold.ca/* | GPG public key available by request
    > ---------- * * *Slackware - Because I know what I'm doing. * * * * *------

    Thanks for your answers!
    I partitioned a usb stick with the Minix fs, mounted it to a regular
    folder in Linux and shared it in Vmware running Minix. Further I tried
    to find it using "part" hoping that Minix would recognize the shared
    folder as a regular partition, but I haven't found it. How do I mount
    it in Minix?

  6. Re: creating Minix mountable images

    frame wrote:
    > Thanks for your answers!
    > I partitioned a usb stick with the Minix fs, mounted it to a regular
    > folder in Linux and shared it in Vmware running Minix. Further I tried
    > to find it using "part" hoping that Minix would recognize the shared
    > folder as a regular partition, but I haven't found it. How do I mount
    > it in Minix?

    What does "sharing in VMWare" imply? If it is presented as an IDE device,
    it should be something like /dev/cxdypz, where x is the controller number
    (0 for the first one), y is the disk number on that controller and z the
    partitition on that disk.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  7. Re: creating Minix mountable images

    In article ,
    frame wrote:
    >Hi
    >I get that Minix can't mount cd images that wasn't created using the
    >right file system. I want to transfer files between my Minix and Linux
    >systems, by creating an image of the files in Linux and mount them in
    >Minix. I've tried with mkisofs without any real success. So how can I
    >create mountable cd images of directories in linux that Minix can use?

    If you created the filesystem on Linux using the defective mkisofs clone from
    Debian, get the real software from ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    If minux does not support ISO-9660, you better use tar, see

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/star/

    for a portable POSIX tar.

    --
    EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jrg Schilling D-13353 Berlin