Minix Newbie - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix Newbie - Minix ; Hi.. I installed Minix from the book CD and installed all the packages. As a simple exercise I want to change the welcome message in Minix. So, I identified the welcome message in /usr/src/boot/boot.c file and modified it. Now, I ...

  1. Minix Newbie

    Hi..

    I installed Minix from the book CD and installed all the packages.
    As a simple exercise I want to change the welcome message in Minix.

    So, I identified the welcome message in /usr/src/boot/boot.c file and
    modified it.

    Now, I am wondering how to compile the boot block or boot monitor.

    I executed 'make clean' inside /usr/src/boot followed by 'make ' and
    then 'make install'.

    Then I restarted the machine and did not find my change in the boot
    monitor.

    How should I perform the make operation to see my change.

    Secondly, is boot monitor part of the kernel ?

    - Krish

  2. Re: Minix Newbie

    On Aug 27, 1:59*pm, mailkrish...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I installed Minix from the book CD and installed all the packages.
    > As a simple exercise I want to change the welcome message in Minix.
    >
    > So, I identified the welcome message in /usr/src/boot/boot.c file and
    > modified it.

    You shouldn't need to recompile the kernel just to change the boot
    message. Just edit /etc/motd

    # cat >/etc/motd
    Hello world.
    This is my message.

    (press Ctrl+D to close cat)

    Daniel.

  3. Re: Minix Newbie

    mailkrishnas@gmail.com wrote:
    > I executed 'make clean' inside /usr/src/boot followed by 'make ' and
    > then 'make install'.

    > Then I restarted the machine and did not find my change in the boot
    > monitor.

    > How should I perform the make operation to see my change.

    Go to /usr/src/tools and look at the Makefile there. "make fresh install"
    there will completely rebuild your system, but there's other options in
    there as well. You might have to type "unset image" in the boot monitor as
    well to force the boot monitor to look for a new image.

    > Secondly, is boot monitor part of the kernel ?

    No, it is not. The boot monitor is a program capable of reading the Minix
    file system and loading a program from a disk to execute it. The boot
    monitor enables you to select which boot image to load and pass options to
    the system at boot time. Also, because Minix can return to the boot
    monitor, it is possible to restart Minix without going through the BIOS.
    Both features are very nice to have on an experimental OS.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  4. Re: Minix Newbie

    J.F. de Smit escreveu:

    > The boot monitor enables you to select which boot
    > image to load and pass options to the system at boot
    > time.

    I've not yet studied the boot monitor in depth. It's
    schedulled latter (after the VFS journey).

    > Also, because Minix can return to the boot monitor,
    > it is possible to restart Minix without going through
    > the BIOS. Both features are very nice to have on an
    > experimental OS.

    I love this feature. :-)

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

  5. Re: Minix Newbie

    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.
    I have on another question - Can I make the book monitor alone and
    install it without rebuilding the whole system ?

    - Krish

    On Aug 28, 4:02*am, Joo Jernimo
    wrote:
    > J.F. de Smit escreveu:
    >
    > > The boot monitor enables you to select which boot
    > > image to load and pass options to the system at boot
    > > time.

    > I've not yet studied the boot monitor in depth. It's
    > schedulled latter (after the VFS journey).
    >
    > > Also, because Minix can return to the boot monitor,
    > > it is possible to restart Minix without going through
    > > the BIOS. Both features are very nice to have on an
    > > experimental OS.

    > I love this feature. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Joo Jernimo
    >
    > "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    > in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

  6. Re: Minix Newbie

    mailkrishnas@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,

    > Thanks for your reply.
    > I have on another question - Can I make the book monitor alone and
    > install it without rebuilding the whole system ?

    Yes, you should be able to do that. Don't ask me how though, I've never
    felt the need to alter the boot monitor. It works just fine as it is and
    if it breaks, you'll need to hassle around with CD's or boot floppies just
    so you can reinstall a working boot monitor...

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  7. Re: Minix Newbie

    J.F. de Smit escreveu:

    > Yes, you should be able to do that. Don't ask me how though, I've never
    > felt the need to alter the boot monitor. It works just fine as it is and
    > if it breaks, you'll need to hassle around with CD's or boot floppies just
    > so you can reinstall a working boot monitor...

    You can always clone your system to a neighbouring partition and modify the
    monitor there.

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

+ Reply to Thread