Virtual memory? - Minix

This is a discussion on Virtual memory? - Minix ; Does Minix 3 support virtual memory? I read somewhere that it didn't, but the wikipedia page on Minix-vmd says that Minix-vmd had virtual memory and that Minix 3 incormorates the features of Minix-vmd. To be clear: I would like to ...

  1. Virtual memory?

    Does Minix 3 support virtual memory?

    I read somewhere that it didn't, but the wikipedia page on Minix-vmd
    says that Minix-vmd had virtual memory and that Minix 3 incormorates
    the features of Minix-vmd.

    To be clear: I would like to know where Minix supports swap.

    Daniel.

  2. Re: Virtual memory?

    > Does Minix 3 support virtual memory?
    >
    > I read somewhere that it didn't, but the wikipedia page on Minix-vmd
    > says that Minix-vmd had virtual memory and that Minix 3 incormorates
    > the features of Minix-vmd.
    >
    > To be clear: I would like to know where Minix supports swap.

    Minix does not support virtual memory and swapping, even though
    minix-vmd did. Virtual memory support is planned for Minix, but from
    what I've heard this will not include swapping.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: Virtual memory?

    On Aug 26, 8:35*pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > Minix does not support virtual memory and swapping, even though
    > minix-vmd did. Virtual memory support is planned for Minix, but from
    > what I've heard this will not include swapping.

    Why not swapping? What's the ETA for this feature? In June 2006 ast
    seemed to think that virtual memory was a months away, so I'd think it
    would be available in Aug 2008.

    Without swapping it may be hard to get something like FXCE + Firefox
    running.

    Daniel.

  4. Re: Virtual memory?

    > > Minix does not support virtual memory and swapping, even though
    > > minix-vmd did. Virtual memory support is planned for Minix, but from
    > > what I've heard this will not include swapping.

    > Why not swapping? What's the ETA for this feature? In June 2006 ast
    > seemed to think that virtual memory was a months away, so I'd think it
    > would be available in Aug 2008.
    >
    > Without swapping it may be hard to get something like FXCE + Firefox
    > running.

    Last time I heard it from the people involved, virtual memory was not
    ready yet (or at least, not submitted to SVN). I suppose this is still
    the case, but in any case there has not been a release since then.

    If you really need to know about VM, you may want to ask the person
    working on this directly: http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html. He
    will be able to tell you much more about the status and eventual goals.
    If you decide to do this, it would be appreciated if you post the
    response you got here, as many people seem to be very interested in
    having VM in MINIX (including myself).

    It should not be hard to run a window manager and Firefox even with
    just VM and no swap (provided it gets ported). I think most machines
    have at least 512MB nowadays and typically more. Once the wastefulness
    and clumsiness of having to manually allocate memory using chmem is
    gone, this should not be much of a problem.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  5. Re: Virtual memory?

    On Aug 26, 9:45*pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > If you really need to know about VM, you may want to ask the person
    > working on this directly:http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html. He
    > will be able to tell you much more about the status and eventual goals.
    > If you decide to do this, it would be appreciated if you post the
    > response you got here, as many people seem to be very interested in
    > having VM in MINIX (including myself).

    Ben says that that the project is going well. The basic work is done,
    but bugs remain to be fixed. He didn't offer a guess as to when VM
    might be done. Too uncertain he says. But he hopes to post an update
    soon.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  6. Re: Virtual memory?

    Daniel Carrera escreveu:

    >> If you really need to know about VM, you may want to ask the person
    >> working on this directly:http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html. He
    >> will be able to tell you much more about the status and eventual goals.
    >> If you decide to do this, it would be appreciated if you post the
    >> response you got here, as many people seem to be very interested in
    >> having VM in MINIX (including myself).

    > Ben says that that the project is going well. The basic work is done,
    > but bugs remain to be fixed. He didn't offer a guess as to when VM
    > might be done. Too uncertain he says. But he hopes to post an update
    > soon.

    Any hint as to why the new code is not in SVN?

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

  7. Re: Virtual memory?

    On Aug 27, 1:54*am, Joo Jernimo
    wrote:
    > Any hint as to why the new code is not in SVN?

    "I'm working out remaining bugs in order to merge with HEAD"

    I take that to mean that making branches with SVN is difficult and Ben
    found it easier to just develop in his local machine and upload later.
    It is always nice to have a revision control system with easy
    branches, so that developers will make branches for the features they
    are working on and other people can look at them. Minix is supposed to
    be a small tree, so I gues darcs or monotone could do it. Or some
    other distributed version control system.

    Daniel.

  8. Re: Virtual memory?

    Daniel Carrera escreveu:

    > Minix is supposed to be a small tree, so I guess darcs
    > or monotone could do it. Or some other distributed
    > version control system.

    I don't understand why. I follow the ReactOS development mailing list, and
    developers very often create new branches and commit their code imediately.
    And they use SVN too...

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

+ Reply to Thread