Packman vs Pacman - Minix

This is a discussion on Packman vs Pacman - Minix ; Hi, Is there any connection between "packman" from Minix 3 and "pacman" from Arch Linux? They are written different (one 'k'). Are they at all related? Daniel....

  1. Packman vs Pacman

    Hi,

    Is there any connection between "packman" from Minix 3 and "pacman"
    from Arch Linux? They are written different (one 'k'). Are they at all
    related?

    Daniel.

  2. Re: Packman vs Pacman

    Daniel Carrera wrote:
    > Hi,

    > Is there any connection between "packman" from Minix 3 and "pacman"
    > from Arch Linux? They are written different (one 'k'). Are they at all
    > related?

    AFAIK "packman" is specifically developed for MINIX 3, so that would mean
    pacman and packman are unrelated.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Packman vs Pacman

    On Aug 26, 9:04*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > AFAIK "packman" is specifically developed for MINIX 3, so that would
    > mean pacman and packman are unrelated.

    Thanks. In that case, is there any documentation on Packman besides
    the one page in the Minix wiki? I'd like to learn a little more about
    it.

    Thanks.
    Daniel.

  4. Re: Packman vs Pacman

    > > AFAIK "packman" is specifically developed for MINIX 3, so that would
    > > mean pacman and packman are unrelated.

    > Thanks. In that case, is there any documentation on Packman besides
    > the one page in the Minix wiki? I'd like to learn a little more about
    > it.

    There isn't much to it really: just run it and follow instructions. If
    you like to know how it is implemented, just open it in a text editor;
    it is a shell script. AFAIK the only thing it does is download (or copy
    from CD) and extract a tarball.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  5. Re: Packman vs Pacman

    On Aug 26, 11:31*am, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > There isn't much to it really: just run it and follow instructions. If
    > you like to know how it is implemented, just open it in a text editor;
    > it is a shell script. AFAIK the only thing it does is download (or copy
    > from CD) and extract a tarball.

    Ok. So packman doesn't do things like uninstalls, upgrades and
    dependency resolution? Has anyone thought of porting a package manager
    that does have those features, like Debian's APT?

    Daniel.

+ Reply to Thread