Turn Minix in a distributed operative system. - Minix

This is a discussion on Turn Minix in a distributed operative system. - Minix ; I have some time using Minix, studying the behavior of this system. I had some ideas related to how to turn minix in a distributed operative system, I have ported the FS, performing some test in a pseudo-cluster Pentium-Pro with ...

  1. Turn Minix in a distributed operative system.

    I have some time using Minix, studying the behavior of this system.
    I had some ideas related to how to turn minix in a distributed
    operative system, I have ported the FS, performing some test in a
    pseudo-cluster Pentium-Pro with 4 machines, I have also a lot of
    issues with my implementation.

    Today I'm thinking about MM distributed, the idea is very simple,
    present a shared memory area without the machines distinction.

    I will read any suggestion related to the project.

    Best regards

  2. Re: Turn Minix in a distributed operative system.

    > I have some time using Minix, studying the behavior of this system.
    > I had some ideas related to how to turn minix in a distributed
    > operative system, I have ported the FS, performing some test in a
    > pseudo-cluster Pentium-Pro with 4 machines, I have also a lot of
    > issues with my implementation.
    >
    > Today I'm thinking about MM distributed, the idea is very simple,
    > present a shared memory area without the machines distinction.
    >
    > I will read any suggestion related to the project.

    Why re-invent the wheel? There is a well-documented (but now dead)
    distributed operating system, also from the Vrije Universiteit:
    http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/amoeba/

    You can use it to get both inspiration and code.

    You may also consider instead supporting some distributed computing
    platform instead, such as the (AFAIK very widely used) MPI:
    http://www.open-mpi.org/
    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/

    This may be more efficient than a fully distributed operating system
    and would allow one to port existing programs using the platform easily.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: Turn Minix in a distributed operative system.

    On Aug 20, 3:37 am, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > > I have some time using Minix, studying the behavior of this system.
    > > I had some ideas related to how to turn minix in a distributed
    > > operative system, I have ported the FS, performing some test in a
    > > pseudo-cluster Pentium-Pro with 4 machines, I have also a lot of
    > > issues with my implementation.

    > > Today I'm thinking about MM distributed, the idea is very simple,
    > > present a shared memory area without the machines distinction.

    > > I will read any suggestion related to the project.

    > Why re-invent the wheel? There is a well-documented (but now dead)
    > distributed operating system, also from the Vrije Universiteit:http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/amoeba/
    >
    > You can use it to get both inspiration and code.
    >
    > You may also consider instead supporting some distributed computing
    > platform instead, such as the (AFAIK very widely used) MPI:http://www.open-mpi.org/http://www.m...ojects/mpich2/
    >
    > This may be more efficient than a fully distributed operating system
    > and would allow one to port existing programs using the platform easily.
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

    Thank you very much, I will start to read something from thhose sites.

    Best regards

+ Reply to Thread