source for drivers on minix 2.02 - Minix

This is a discussion on source for drivers on minix 2.02 - Minix ; comp.os.minix source for drivers on minix 2.02 Anyone know where the source code for the drivers on Minix 2.xx are found? /dev has a couple hundred of them with what looks like maybe a dozen different types. I am looking ...

  1. source for drivers on minix 2.02

    comp.os.minix
    source for drivers on minix 2.02

    Anyone know where the source code for the drivers on Minix 2.xx are
    found? /dev has a couple hundred of them with what looks like maybe a dozen
    different types. I am looking for the source for the cd-rom drivers & hard
    disk drivers.

    Hul

  2. Re: source for drivers on minix 2.02

    On 08/20/08 01:27, Hul Tytus wrote:

    > source for drivers on minix 2.02
    >
    > Anyone know where the source code for the drivers on Minix 2.xx are
    > found? /dev has a couple hundred of them with what looks like
    > maybe a dozen different types. I am looking for the source for the
    > cd-rom drivers & hard disk drivers.

    At http://www.minix3.org/previous-versions/ uou can find old Minix
    versions. The tarballs contains executables and sources.

    Some contributions, from the community, are also available at
    http://minix1.woodhull.com/contrib.html

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  3. Re: source for drivers on minix 2.02

    Thanks for the references Giovanni. I'll search through some of thos files
    and see what's to be found. The contrib files on Woodhull's minix2 site do
    need a text listing with a 1 line description.... maybe.

    Hul

    Giovanni wrote:
    > On 08/20/08 01:27, Hul Tytus wrote:

    > > source for drivers on minix 2.02
    > >
    > > Anyone know where the source code for the drivers on Minix 2.xx are
    > > found? /dev has a couple hundred of them with what looks like
    > > maybe a dozen different types. I am looking for the source for the
    > > cd-rom drivers & hard disk drivers.

    > At http://www.minix3.org/previous-versions/ uou can find old Minix
    > versions. The tarballs contains executables and sources.

    > Some contributions, from the community, are also available at
    > http://minix1.woodhull.com/contrib.html

    > Ciao
    > Giovanni
    > --
    > A computer is like an air conditioner,
    > it stops working when you open Windows.
    > Registered Linux user #337974 < http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >

  4. Re: source for drivers on minix 2.02

    En news:g8fksv$bda$1@reader1.panix.com, Hul Tytus va escriure:
    > Anyone know where the source code for the drivers on Minix 2.xx are
    > found?

    In the kernel/ folder, as it should be obvious if you have read the book in
    its 2nd edition.

    > /dev has a couple hundred of them with what looks like maybe a
    > dozen different types.

    The real count (and the mapping) is inside the kernel/table.c file

    > I am looking for the source for the cd-rom drivers

    There is a driver specific to the (pre-ATAPI) Mitsumi CD-ROM driver which
    was commonly sold around 1995; if you have it, source is in kernel/mcd.c

    Else, if you own a AHA1540 or somethink which looks like it, and a SCSI
    CD-ROM drive, perhaps you can use the SCSI driver which source is in
    kernel/aha1540.c

    You may also look at http://minix1.woodhull.com/pcontrib/ under atapicd

    > & hard disk drivers.

    About one third of the kernel/*.c files are various kinds of "hard disk"
    drivers, if you count the dosfile and fatfile pseudo-hard-disk-devices in
    this category.

    If you search for the most common, have a look at kernel/at_wini.c, which
    targets the ATA command set.

    Antoine

  5. Re: source for drivers on minix 2.02

    Many thanks Antoine. Specific reference is always a help when searching
    for some code.

    Hul

    Antoine Leca wrote:
    > En news:g8fksv$bda$1@reader1.panix.com, Hul Tytus va escriure:
    > > Anyone know where the source code for the drivers on Minix 2.xx are
    > > found?

    > In the kernel/ folder, as it should be obvious if you have read the book in
    > its 2nd edition.

    > > /dev has a couple hundred of them with what looks like maybe a
    > > dozen different types.

    > The real count (and the mapping) is inside the kernel/table.c file

    > > I am looking for the source for the cd-rom drivers

    > There is a driver specific to the (pre-ATAPI) Mitsumi CD-ROM driver which
    > was commonly sold around 1995; if you have it, source is in kernel/mcd.c

    > Else, if you own a AHA1540 or somethink which looks like it, and a SCSI
    > CD-ROM drive, perhaps you can use the SCSI driver which source is in
    > kernel/aha1540.c

    > You may also look at http://minix1.woodhull.com/pcontrib/ under atapicd

    > > & hard disk drivers.

    > About one third of the kernel/*.c files are various kinds of "hard disk"
    > drivers, if you count the dosfile and fatfile pseudo-hard-disk-devices in
    > this category.

    > If you search for the most common, have a look at kernel/at_wini.c, which
    > targets the ATA command set.

    > Antoine

+ Reply to Thread