Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation - Minix

This is a discussion on Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation - Minix ; Dear all, On a computer with four gigabytes of RAM, I booted Minix_IDE-3.1.2a.iso which reported "[..] Physical memory: total 6196 KB, system 5700 KB, free 496 KB. [..] /etc/rc: /bin/service: Not enough core [..]" for the standard >= 16 MB ...

  1. Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation

    Dear all,

    On a computer with four gigabytes of RAM, I booted
    Minix_IDE-3.1.2a.iso which reported
    "[..]
    Physical memory: total 6196 KB, system 5700 KB, free 496 KB.
    [..]
    /etc/rc: /bin/service: Not enough core
    [..]"
    for the standard >= 16 MB RAM installation option,
    and it reported a total of less than 2000 KB for
    the 8192 KB RAM installation option, again moaning
    "Not enough core".

    Do you have any suggestions?

    With kind regards,
    Nick Paul Colin Gloster

  2. Re: Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation

    Use command chmem.
    Examlpe,

    #chmem +1000000 /bin/sh

  3. Re: Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation

    In
    timestamped Mon, 4 Aug 2008 21:12:43 -0700 (PDT), "Roman V. Ignatov"
    posted:
    |------------------------|
    |"Use command chmem. |
    |Examlpe, |
    | |
    |#chmem +1000000 /bin/sh"|
    |------------------------|

    I am grateful to Roman V. Ignatov for the suggestion, but as it is
    during the boot installation attempt (while the MINIX monitor is
    running) when the "Not enough core" message was displayed, I do not
    understand how to try chmem +1000000 /bin/sh . I tried it after the
    message: hit keys are echoed but are not parsed as commands. Neither
    of the two boot options provides an opportunity which I appreciated as
    such for typing chmem +1000000 /bin/sh.

    After the "Not enough core message" I also tried pressing
    Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice. This provided me with a very basic fd0> prompt
    with few commands. Typing chmem +1000000 /bin/sh resulted in a parse
    error, apparently because chmem was not available. The command ls is
    present but freezes the system after working once. Other commands work
    better: by using
    set
    I saw an environment variable specifying the path for the big
    (>=16 MB machine) boot image and the path of the 8 MB machine boot
    image (I suspect that it may be possible to pass in a memory option
    there somehow, but I do not know the syntax if any) which can be
    chosen by typing in
    menu
    ..

    How may I proceed? I still have not managed to boot MINIX 3.

    With best regards,
    Nick Paul Colin Gloster

  4. Re: Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation

    In article , wrote:
    >Dear all,
    >
    >On a computer with four gigabytes of RAM, I booted
    >Minix_IDE-3.1.2a.iso which reported
    >"[..]
    >Physical memory: total 6196 KB, system 5700 KB, free 496 KB.

    Check the memory variable in the boot monitor. These values don't add up to
    4 Gbyte.

  5. Re: Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation

    > How may I proceed? I still have not managed to boot MINIX 3.

    Actually, the programs on the install CD should have chmem values that
    allow them to run without problems, so if the problem occurs when
    running from the CD this should not be the problem.

    I cannot help but notice that 4 GB = 2^32 bytes and that 2^32 equals 0
    on the x86 architecture. It is possible to support 4GB or even more on
    x86, but only through careful programming and for the use of PAE for
    larger memories. Maybe Minix 3.1.2a has not been tested with 4 GB of
    memory before.

    I recommend you try removing or disabling one of your memory chips if
    possible. This should show whether the amount of memory is what causes
    the problem. If it is, this should be fixed (in fact, it might already
    be fixed in the current SVN version).

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  6. Re: Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation

    In news:unr92crfdi672kk02fapkdil23@inews_id.stereo.hq .phicoh.net
    timestamped Wed, 6 Aug 2008 13:54:15 +0200, philip@ue.aioy.eu (Philip
    Homburg) posted:
    |"In article , wrote: |
    |>Dear all, |
    |> |
    |>On a computer with four gigabytes of RAM, I booted |
    |>Minix_IDE-3.1.2a.iso which reported |
    |>"[..] |
    |>Physical memory: total 6196 KB, system 5700 KB, free 496 KB. |
    | |
    |Check the memory variable in the boot monitor." |

    Thank you for the suggestion. According to
    set
    in the monitor, the following inconsistent values were true at the
    same time:
    "rootdev = (ram)
    [..]
    ramsize = (0)
    [..]
    memory = (800:92570,100000:CFE80000)".

    |" These values don't add up to |
    |4 Gbyte." |

    I had noticed that before I started this newsgroup thread.

  7. Re: Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation

    In news:489994dd$0$6001$ba620dc5@text.nova.planet.nl timestamped 06
    Aug 2008 12:11:09 GMT, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    posted:
    |"[..] |
    | |
    |I recommend you try removing or disabling one of your memory chips if |
    |possible. This should show whether the amount of memory is what causes|
    |the problem." |

    I do not own the computer and I would not rather try such tampering
    unless necessary. I might try it the next time the case shall be
    opened, which might be in a few days for another reason or which might
    be never.

    Within a few weeks I should have access to another machine with 4
    gigabytes with very different hardware which I could try (again,
    preferably without physically removing memory).

    |" If it is, this should be fixed (in fact, it might already |
    |be fixed in the current SVN version)." |

    I could be motivated enough to try a Subversion version if someone
    verifies that at least an attempt to fix this was incorporated into
    it.

    Dank u wel.

  8. Re: Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation

    In article ,
    Paul Colin Gloster wrote:
    >memory = (800:92570,100000:CFE80000)".

    As an experiment, try setting that to
    "800:92570,100000:10000000"

  9. Re: Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation

    "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl> escreveu:
    > I cannot help but notice that 4 GB = 2^32 bytes and that 2^32 equals 0
    > on the x86 architecture. It is possible to support 4GB or even more on
    > x86, but only through careful programming and for the use of PAE for
    > larger memories. Maybe Minix 3.1.2a has not been tested with 4 GB of
    > memory before.

    I thought every OS allocated memory based on a memory map, not on a
    number...

    --
    João Jerónimo

  10. Re: Four gigabytes of RAM but "Not enough core" during installation

    On 2008-08-06, Philip Homburg wrote:
    |-------------------------------------------------------|
    |"In article , |
    |Paul Colin Gloster wrote:|
    |>memory = (800:92570,100000:CFE80000)". |
    | |
    |As an experiment, try setting that to |
    |"800:92570,100000:10000000"" |
    |-------------------------------------------------------|

    Thank you, I appreciate the willingness to try to help.
    At approximately the same time Plan 9 would also not
    allow itself to be installed and I received no reply
    to an email to an official email address for Plan 9 support.

    I tried
    memory = 800:92570,100000:10000000
    in the monitor and I followed that with the boot command
    with a boot image path. This resulted in:
    "Looking for boot CD. This may take a minute.
    Please ignore any error messages.

    [..]
    AT-D4: Ultra DMA mode selected: 5
    _"
    (the flashing cursor is denoted here by _) but nothing
    more seemed to happen. I was able to access the monitor
    again by pressing Ctrl and Alt and Delete.

    I also tried
    memory = "800:92570,100000:10000000"
    which resulted in:
    "[..]
    PM panic (PM): not enough memory for VM page tables?
    [..]"
    and I also tried to get parentheses into the memory
    environment variable but every attempt resulted in
    a parsing error.

    So, it seems that I shall install a different
    operating system instead of MINIX3 on this machine.

    Regards,
    N. C. P. Gloster

+ Reply to Thread