Does minix uses the segmenting of x86? - Minix

This is a discussion on Does minix uses the segmenting of x86? - Minix ; Or all processes & the kernel run in the same linear adress space?...

  1. Does minix uses the segmenting of x86?

    Or all processes & the kernel run in the same linear adress space?

  2. Re: Does minix uses the segmenting of x86?

    > Or all processes & the kernel run in the same linear adress space?

    Yes, segmentation is used.

    Some more info here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp..../thread/ead8de
    2edef9d0eb/bf054d897d5fba5d

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: Does minix uses the segmenting of x86?

    On 8月4日, 下午3时19分, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl> wrote:
    > > Or all processes & the kernel run in the same linear adress space?

    > Yes, segmentation is used.
    >
    > Some more info here:http://groups.google.com/group/comp..../thread/ead8de
    > 2edef9d0eb/bf054d897d5fba5d
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

    Is that inconvenient for portability?
    Many RISC CPU only have a paging mechanism.
    Is there any future plan for a VM using paging?

  4. Re: Does minix uses the segmenting of x86?

    On 8月4日, 下午3时19分, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl> wrote:
    > > Or all processes & the kernel run in the same linear adress space?

    > Yes, segmentation is used.
    >
    > Some more info here:http://groups.google.com/group/comp..../thread/ead8de
    > 2edef9d0eb/bf054d897d5fba5d
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

    The link you give above is inaccessible.

  5. Re: Does minix uses the segmenting of x86?

    > > Some more info
    > > here:http://groups.google.com/group/comp....se_thread/thre
    > > ad/ead8de 2edef9d0eb/bf054d897d5fba5d

    > The link you give above is inaccessible.

    It works just fine for me. It is split over two lines; make sure you
    glue them together before pasting it into your browser.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  6. Re: Does minix uses the segmenting of x86?

    > Is that inconvenient for portability?
    > Many RISC CPU only have a paging mechanism.
    > Is there any future plan for a VM using paging?

    These kinds of low-level details will always be architecture-dependent.
    As long as application programs do not notice the difference, there
    should not be a portability problem.

    Virtual memory (AFAIK using paging) is being worked on, but don't
    expect it anytime soon.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  7. Re: Does minix uses the segmenting of x86?

    On 8月5日, 上午6时46分, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl> wrote:
    > > Is that inconvenient for portability?
    > > Many RISC CPU only have a paging mechanism.
    > > Is there any future plan for a VM using paging?

    > These kinds of low-level details will always be architecture-dependent.
    > As long as application programs do not notice the difference, there
    > should not be a portability problem.
    >
    > Virtual memory (AFAIK using paging) is being worked on, but don't
    > expect it anytime soon.
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

    If segmentation provide a good memory management,
    is the paging necessary any more?

  8. Re: Does minix uses the segmenting of x86?

    On 08/05/08 13:09, RobinShi@viatech.com.cn wrote:

    >> These kinds of low-level details will always be
    >> architecture-dependent. As long as application programs do not
    >> notice the difference, there should not be a portability problem.
    >>
    >> Virtual memory (AFAIK using paging) is being worked on, but don't
    >> expect it anytime soon.

    > If segmentation provide a good memory management, is the paging
    > necessary any more?

    Yes it is. Adding paging to the system will also make possible to
    have workable swapping.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  9. Re: Does minix uses the segmenting of x86?

    Giovanni escreveu:

    >>> Virtual memory (AFAIK using paging) is being worked on, but don't
    >>> expect it anytime soon.

    >> If segmentation provide a good memory management, is the paging
    >> necessary any more?

    > Yes it is. Adding paging to the system will also make possible to
    > have workable swapping.

    And x86 in Long Mode behaves like an architecture without segmentation.
    In fact, I've heard that you have to enable paging *before* you go to Long
    Mode.

    --
    Jo茫o Jer贸nimo

+ Reply to Thread