Mounting a second hard disk - Minix

This is a discussion on Mounting a second hard disk - Minix ; Hi All, I had a question to ask you. I am running Minix 3 under qemu in Linux. Now I want to mount a second image as hdb. I use the -hdb option of qemu. But how do I access ...

  1. Mounting a second hard disk

    Hi All,

    I had a question to ask you. I am running Minix 3 under qemu in Linux.
    Now I want to mount a second image as hdb. I use the -hdb option of
    qemu. But how do I access this second disk image after I boot up Minix
    3. My aim is to partition the second disk image (fdisk) and then use
    mkfs to create a few Minix partitions for some testing purposes I
    have.

    Rgds,
    Atul

  2. Re: Mounting a second hard disk

    > I had a question to ask you. I am running Minix 3 under qemu in Linux.
    > Now I want to mount a second image as hdb. I use the -hdb option of
    > qemu. But how do I access this second disk image after I boot up Minix
    > 3. My aim is to partition the second disk image (fdisk) and then use
    > mkfs to create a few Minix partitions for some testing purposes I
    > have.

    - The device name is probably /dev/c0d1, but may be /dev/c0d2 or
    /dev/c1d0 depending on the way Qemu emulates the hardware.

    - Minix provides a utility "part" which you can use to partition the
    disk; this may be more suitable than fdisk as it knows the partition
    type number for Minix paritions. It is also more flexible/dangerous.

    - The partitions on disk /dev/c0d1 are called /dev/c0d1p0 thru
    /dev/c0d1p3 (and similar for others). You can use mkfs and then mount
    on these device files.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe