MINIX3 on Qemu on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy - Minix

This is a discussion on MINIX3 on Qemu on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy - Minix ; Hi, This is my first mail to the group. I would like to learn some OS internals and hence decided to learn MINIX3. I downloaded the ISO image from MINIX3. I'm trying to boot MINIX3 on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy with ...

  1. MINIX3 on Qemu on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy

    Hi,

    This is my first mail to the group. I would like to learn some OS
    internals and hence decided to learn MINIX3. I downloaded the ISO
    image from MINIX3.

    I'm trying to boot MINIX3 on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy with qemu. I used the
    command

    qemu -cdrom /path/to/MINIX3.iso -m 256 -boot d

    I got a window displaying MINIX3 boot up, and for a choice. I entered
    1, and it displayed a table sort of thing, along with the names of
    processes. But after that, I see it as hung, and the no more messages
    appear on the screen.

    I'm not sure what's going on

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks
    Jeenu

  2. Re: MINIX3 on Qemu on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy

    Also, may I request suggestions from the group, as to which is the
    best emulator for running MINIX3 on Linux; which one is easy to
    configure and get a kick start.

    Jeenu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is my first mail to the group. I would like to learn some OS
    > internals and hence decided to learn MINIX3. I downloaded the ISO
    > image from MINIX3.
    >
    > I'm trying to boot MINIX3 on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy with qemu. I used the
    > command
    >
    > qemu -cdrom /path/to/MINIX3.iso -m 256 -boot d
    >
    > I got a window displaying MINIX3 boot up, and for a choice. I entered
    > 1, and it displayed a table sort of thing, along with the names of
    > processes. But after that, I see it as hung, and the no more messages
    > appear on the screen.
    >
    > I'm not sure what's going on
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jeenu

  3. Re: MINIX3 on Qemu on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy

    Jeenu wrote:
    > I got a window displaying MINIX3 boot up, and for a choice. I entered
    > 1, and it displayed a table sort of thing, along with the names of
    > processes. But after that, I see it as hung, and the no more messages
    > appear on the screen.

    Hi Jeenu,

    Minix3 and Qemu > 0.8.2 in Ubuntu are known to be buggy. It just does
    not work. Try VMWare instead (VirtualBox is based on Qemu and also
    does not work).

    P.S: If you would like to subscribe to this group using RSS, check out
    this: http://rafavargas.es/minix/ and you won't have to read all the
    spam we've been watching recently.

    --
    Rafael Vargas
    http://rafavargas.wordpress.com/

  4. Re: MINIX3 on Qemu on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy

    On Jul 26, 10:34*pm, Rafa Vargas wrote:
    > Jeenu wrote:
    > > I got a window displaying MINIX3 boot up, and for a choice. I entered
    > > 1, and it displayed a table sort of thing, along with the names of
    > > processes. But after that, I see it as hung, and the no more messages
    > > appear on the screen.

    > Hi Jeenu,

    Hi Rafa,

    > Minix3 and Qemu > 0.8.2 in Ubuntu are known to be buggy. It just does
    > not work. Try VMWare instead (VirtualBox is based on Qemu and also
    > does not work).

    Thanks for the information. I did try the bochs (not sure whether
    bochs and VirtualBox are the same); and that was giving a lot of
    PANICS. More over that was too heavy in configuration.

    I think I should now download VMWare. I have one question though -- Do
    I need VMWare server to create a custom VMWare disk Instead of the
    MINIX pre-installed VMWare one from the site? I'm not keen to create
    my own, but this just out of curiosity.

    > P.S: If you would like to subscribe to this group using RSS, check out
    > this:http://rafavargas.es/minix/and you won't have to read all the
    > spam we've been watching recently.

    Thanks for this too.

    Jeenu

  5. Re: MINIX3 on Qemu on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy

    On Jul 26, 2:34 pm, Jeenu wrote:

    > I think I should now download VMWare. I have one question
    > though -- Do I need VMWare server to create a custom
    > VMWare disk Instead of the MINIX pre-installed VMWare
    > one from the site? I'm not keen to create my own, but
    > this just out of curiosity.

    My experience has been that, starting with a pre-installed
    Minix virtual machine I have been able to install newer
    versions of Minix without a need for the VMWare server --
    the free player was adequate.

    Caveat: I have done this for text-based installs only, I haven't tried
    to use the X-Window system on a virtual install of Minix.

    - Al

  6. Re: MINIX3 on Qemu on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy

    > I think I should now download VMWare. I have one question though -- Do
    > I need VMWare server to create a custom VMWare disk Instead of the
    > MINIX pre-installed VMWare one from the site? I'm not keen to create
    > my own, but this just out of curiosity.

    I use VMWare Player and create virtual machines at http://easyvmx.com/
    for free (it is legal).

    Hope it helps.

    --
    Rafael Vargas
    http://rafavargas.wordpress.com/

  7. Re: MINIX3 on Qemu on Ubuntu 8.0 hardy

    On Jul 27, 12:49*am, Rafa Vargas wrote:
    > > I think I should now download VMWare. I have one question though -- Do
    > > I need VMWare server to create a custom VMWare disk Instead of *the
    > > MINIX pre-installed VMWare one from the site? I'm not keen to create
    > > my own, but this just out of curiosity.

    > I use VMWare Player and create virtual machines athttp://easyvmx.com/
    > for free (it is legal).
    >
    > Hope it helps.
    >
    > --
    > Rafael Vargashttp://rafavargas.wordpress.com/

    By the way, I installed VMWare and I could see MINIX boot up

    Thanks everyone for your inputs
    Jeenu

+ Reply to Thread