unable to reboot while updating to minix 3_1_3b - Minix

This is a discussion on unable to reboot while updating to minix 3_1_3b - Minix ; I have been trying to build minix 3_1_3b in a vmware minix 3_1_2 envinronment. I follow the instructions in the UPDATING file up to the reboot step successfully. However the reboot fails. The instructions say to use " reboot -x ...

  1. unable to reboot while updating to minix 3_1_3b

    I have been trying to build minix 3_1_3b in a vmware minix 3_1_2
    envinronment. I follow the instructions in the UPDATING file up to
    the reboot step successfully. However the reboot fails. The
    instructions say to use " reboot -x 'unset image; boot' " but I have
    doubts about this since the man page does not say anything about a "-
    x" option for reboot. Here are links to screenshots of my vmware
    window taken before and after the reboot:

    before reboot:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/to.dave....photo#52259186...

    after reboot:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/to.dave....photo#52259186...

    The significant message after rebooting appears to be:

    /dev/c1d0: No such file or directory
    Warning: couldn't get status of device

    If anyone can give me any pointers on what to try next I would very
    much appreciate it.

    Thanks in advance

    Dave

    The UPDATING file is at:

    https://gforge.cs.vu.nl/plugins/scms...ix&view=markup

    the UPDATING file contents:

    20060818:
    You need flex in your $PATH, which has become part of the base
    system. This needs bigger binaries.
    If you don't have flex yet, you can compile it first by doing:
    # cp /usr/src/etc/binary_sizes* /etc
    # binsizes big
    # cd /usr/src/commands/flex-2.5.4
    # sh build
    20061222:
    Install binaries in the right order because the new readdir
    implementation and the new mount program are incompatible
    with older kernels and the new kernels require the new mount.
    # cd /usr/src
    # make includes
    # make libraries
    # make cmds
    # make depend
    # cd /usr/src/tools
    # make hdboot
    # make install
    # cd ..
    # make install
    Installing fails for boot. Reboot the system
    # reboot -x 'unset image; boot'
    Now install everything
    # cd /usr/src
    # make install
    20061222:
    The archictecture-dependent/-independent split needs
    ARCH=
    in /etc/make.conf, included by some Makefiles and sourced by
    some shell scripts. To install it, type 'make install' in
    src/etc, or simply copy the file over.
    20070118:
    drivers.conf has been updated to include an ACL for mfs. it
    has
    to be installed before rebooting after an update of the mount
    command.
    20070212 (r2751):
    mkfs needs more memory to make an image; chmem it or do
    # touch mkfs.c ; make /usr/bin/mkfs
    in /usr/src/commands/simple.

  2. Re: unable to reboot while updating to minix 3_1_3b

    I found the following old post from Feb 25, 2007 which solves the
    problem I was having.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....78ed98a1691a83

+ Reply to Thread