building the latest minix - Minix

This is a discussion on building the latest minix - Minix ; Hi I'm trying to get familiar with the latest minix code. My had been to use the prebuilt vmware 3_1_2a image to build and install minix r3_1_3b. I was able to get 3_1_2a running under vmware and check out the ...

  1. building the latest minix

    Hi

    I'm trying to get familiar with the latest minix code. My had been to
    use the prebuilt vmware 3_1_2a image to build and install minix
    r3_1_3b.

    I was able to get 3_1_2a running under vmware and check out the 3_1_3b
    code and ftp it to my minix system.

    So far so good. But when I try to build it I run into a series of
    small problems that are not the kind of thing that I would expect to
    find in a tagged version.

    I can give more details if necessary but right now I'm just wondering
    if I my expectations are reasonable. My hope had been to get to the
    point where I could modify, build and run the latest stable minix
    code. Am I going about this in the right way?

    Thank you for any feedback.

    - Dave

  2. Re: building the latest minix

    > I'm trying to get familiar with the latest minix code. My had been to
    > use the prebuilt vmware 3_1_2a image to build and install minix
    > r3_1_3b.
    >
    > I was able to get 3_1_2a running under vmware and check out the 3_1_3b
    > code and ftp it to my minix system.
    >
    > So far so good. But when I try to build it I run into a series of
    > small problems that are not the kind of thing that I would expect to
    > find in a tagged version.
    >
    > I can give more details if necessary but right now I'm just wondering
    > if I my expectations are reasonable. My hope had been to get to the
    > point where I could modify, build and run the latest stable minix
    > code. Am I going about this in the right way?
    >
    > Thank you for any feedback.

    Check out the docs/UPDATING file; it seems that you need to do some
    additional things to make the upgrade:
    https://gforge.cs.vu.nl/plugins/scms..._1_3b/docs/UPD
    ATING?rev=3053&root=minix&view=markup

    I suppose this is why they released 3.1.3: to serve as a starting point
    for when you want to upgrade to the SVN version.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: building the latest minix

    Thank you. This got me quite a bit further but not all the way. I
    follow the instructions in the UPDATING file up to the reboot step
    successfully. However the reboot fails. The instructions say to use
    " reboot -x 'unset image; boot' " but I have doubts about this since
    the man page does not say anything about a "-x" option for reboot.
    Here are links to screenshots of my vmware window taken before and
    after the reboot:

    before reboot:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/to.dave....18608923650498

    after reboot:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/to.dave....18607828876226

    If anyone can give me any pointers on what to try next I would very
    much appreciate it.

    Thanks in advance

    - Dave
    the UPDATING file contents:

    20060818:
    You need flex in your $PATH, which has become part of the base
    system. This needs bigger binaries.
    If you don't have flex yet, you can compile it first by doing:
    # cp /usr/src/etc/binary_sizes* /etc
    # binsizes big
    # cd /usr/src/commands/flex-2.5.4
    # sh build
    20061222:
    Install binaries in the right order because the new readdir
    implementation and the new mount program are incompatible
    with older kernels and the new kernels require the new mount.
    # cd /usr/src
    # make includes
    # make libraries
    # make cmds
    # make depend
    # cd /usr/src/tools
    # make hdboot
    # make install
    # cd ..
    # make install
    Installing fails for boot. Reboot the system
    # reboot -x 'unset image; boot'
    Now install everything
    # cd /usr/src
    # make install
    20061222:
    The archictecture-dependent/-independent split needs
    ARCH=
    in /etc/make.conf, included by some Makefiles and sourced by
    some shell scripts. To install it, type 'make install' in
    src/etc, or simply copy the file over.
    20070118:
    drivers.conf has been updated to include an ACL for mfs. it
    has
    to be installed before rebooting after an update of the mount
    command.
    20070212 (r2751):
    mkfs needs more memory to make an image; chmem it or do
    # touch mkfs.c ; make /usr/bin/mkfs
    in /usr/src/commands/simple.

    On Jul 20, 11:40*pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > > I'm trying to get familiar with the latest minix code. *My had been to
    > > use the prebuilt vmware 3_1_2a image to build and install minix
    > > r3_1_3b.

    > > I was able to get 3_1_2a running under vmware and check out the 3_1_3b
    > > code and ftp it to my minix system.

    > > So far so good. *But when I try to build it I run into a series of
    > > small problems that are not the kind of thing that I would expect to
    > > find in a tagged version.

    > > I can give more details if necessary but right now I'm just wondering
    > > if I my expectations are reasonable. *My hope had been to get to the
    > > point where I could modify, build and run the latest stable minix
    > > code. *Am I going about this in the right way?

    > > Thank you for any feedback.

    > Check out the docs/UPDATING file; it seems that you need to do some
    > additional things to make the upgrade:https://gforge.cs.vu.nl/plugins/scms..._1_3b/docs/UPD
    > ATING?rev=3053&root=minix&view=markup
    >
    > I suppose this is why they released 3.1.3: to serve as a starting point
    > for when you want to upgrade to the SVN version.
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

+ Reply to Thread