out of memory when compiling flex-2.5.4 under vmware - Minix

This is a discussion on out of memory when compiling flex-2.5.4 under vmware - Minix ; Hello everyone, I'm running out of memory when I try to compile flex-2.5.4 : cc -c -I. -I. -g skel.c Fatal: Out of memory cc: /usr/lib/i386/cg: Signal 6 - core dumped make in /usr/src/commands/flex-2.5.4: Exit code 1 I am running ...

  1. out of memory when compiling flex-2.5.4 under vmware

    Hello everyone,

    I'm running out of memory when I try to compile flex-2.5.4 :

    cc -c -I. -I. -g skel.c
    Fatal: Out of memory
    cc: /usr/lib/i386/cg: Signal 6 - core dumped
    make in /usr/src/commands/flex-2.5.4: Exit code 1

    I am running minix 3.1.2a under vmware. The code that I am trying to
    compile is minix r3.1.3b which I checked out from the svn repository
    as follows:

    svn checkout https://gforge.cs.vu.nl/svn/minix/tags/r3_1_3b

    My vmware machine is set to have 1GB of RAM .

    Does anyone out there know a work around for this?

    I wouldn't care so much except that it looks like I actually need flex
    to compile the 3_1_3 code.

    Thanks in advance.

    - Dave

  2. Re: out of memory when compiling flex-2.5.4 under vmware

    On 20 , 07:06, Dave wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I'm running out of memory when I try to compile flex-2.5.4 :
    >
    > cc -c -I. -I. -g skel.c
    > Fatal: Out of memory
    > cc: /usr/lib/i386/cg: Signal 6 - core dumped
    > make in /usr/src/commands/flex-2.5.4: Exit code 1
    >
    > I am running minix 3.1.2a under vmware. The code that I am trying to
    > compile is minix r3.1.3b which I checked out from the svn repository
    > as follows:
    >
    > svn checkouthttps://gforge.cs.vu.nl/svn/minix/tags/r3_1_3b
    >
    > My vmware machine is set to have 1GB of RAM .
    >
    > Does anyone out there know a work around for this?
    >
    > I wouldn't care so much except that it looks like I actually need flex
    > to compile the 3_1_3 code.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > - Dave

    try
    #chmem +1000000 /bin/sh

  3. Re: out of memory when compiling flex-2.5.4 under vmware

    On Jul 19, 11:06 pm, Dave wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I'm running out of memory when I try to compile flex-2.5.4 :
    >
    > cc -c -I. -I. -g skel.c
    > Fatal: Out of memory
    > cc: /usr/lib/i386/cg: Signal 6 - core dumped
    > make in /usr/src/commands/flex-2.5.4: Exit code 1

    You need to use chmem to increase the memory allotment of /usr/lib/
    i386/cg. I suggest using "chmem +0 /usr/lib/i386/cg" to see what the
    current memory allotment is, then doubling it and seeing if your
    compilation can bedone. If you still have trouble, double it again...
    and repeat until it works.

    In general the various compiler component executables in /usr/lib/386
    are set to default memory allotments that are adequate to compile the
    Minix system and all the precompiled commands that are installed with
    Minix. Many programs ported to Minix were originally written in
    environments (i.e., Linux) where compiler components could access
    unlimited amounts of memory, and compiling them in Minix requires this
    kind of tweaking.

    > My vmware machine is set to have 1GB of RAM .

    This has nothing to do with the amount of memory available to the
    machine, it's all about the amount of memory a particular program is
    allowed to use.

    - Al

+ Reply to Thread