Newbie qustion - 2 - Minix

This is a discussion on Newbie qustion - 2 - Minix ; Hi again all, I have, as I posted in question - 1, recently downloaded the Minix3 virtual machine (VM) and the requisite VMWare Player for Windows and am now running a basic Unix system inside my dilapidated old laptop and ...

  1. Newbie qustion - 2

    Hi again all,

    I have, as I posted in question - 1, recently downloaded the Minix3
    virtual machine (VM)
    and the requisite VMWare Player for Windows and am now running a basic
    Unix system
    inside my dilapidated old laptop and am so far very pleased with how
    it's running.

    I have no CD on the machine in question (long story, don't ask) and
    want to put the
    bash shell on top of minix3 and also the g++ compilers. I can't boot
    from floppy
    either - only USB floppy available and the USB ports are not bootable
    with the
    ancient, creaking BIOS that I have.

    I can use a memory stick/pen drive to get files from the internet to
    the Windows, but
    my question is about how do I go about installing the software with no
    CD and no
    way of accessing the Windows filesystems from Minix3?

    What I want is to be able to transfer files to and from (mostly to
    obviously) the
    Windows "box" to the minix3 "box" in a simple copy and paste manner
    (and/or
    by mounting a Windows filesystem within Minix)

    What do I do to do this? Are there different approaches? What's best/
    worst/good
    in my situation?

    At the moment, I'm happy running Minix as a virtual machine, but would
    like to able
    to transfer files into the new OS.

    Thanks for any help, suggestions &c.

    Rgs,

    Paul...

  2. Re: Newbie qustion - 2

    > I have, as I posted in question - 1, recently downloaded the Minix3
    > virtual machine (VM)
    > and the requisite VMWare Player for Windows and am now running a basic
    > Unix system
    > inside my dilapidated old laptop and am so far very pleased with how
    > it's running.

    Note: Minix is not Unix. It is Unix-like in that it implements much of
    the Unix API (POSIX), but it is completely different internally.

    > What do I do to do this? Are there different approaches? What's best/
    > worst/good
    > in my situation?

    VMWare is quite capable of sharing your network connection with the VM,
    which makes installing software and sharing files very easy. Assuming
    you have an internet connection and some device doing DHCP (probably a
    router), just run packman. Finding out there is no CD it will look for
    packages on the internet.

    > At the moment, I'm happy running Minix as a virtual machine, but would
    > like to able
    > to transfer files into the new OS.

    Copy /etc/rc.daemons.dist to /etc/rc.daemons, then reboot. You'll have
    a number of network servers running, including FTP. This allows you to
    easily share files between the two machines. Minix also has FTP clients
    (ftp and ftpget), so running an FTP server on your Windows machine will
    also do. I think you need to set up a password to log into the FTP
    server; you can use the passwd utility to achieve this.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: Newbie qustion - 2

    On Jul 20, 8:08 am, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > > I have, as I posted in question - 1, recently downloaded the Minix3
    > > virtual machine (VM)
    > > and the requisite VMWare Player for Windows and am now running a basic
    > > Unix system
    > > inside my dilapidated old laptop and am so far very pleased with how
    > > it's running.

    > Note: Minix is not Unix. It is Unix-like in that it implements much of
    > the Unix API (POSIX), but it is completely different internally.
    >
    > > What do I do to do this? Are there different approaches? What's best/
    > > worst/good
    > > in my situation?

    > VMWare is quite capable of sharing your network connection with the VM,
    > which makes installing software and sharing files very easy. Assuming
    > you have an internet connection and some device doing DHCP (probably a
    > router), just run packman. Finding out there is no CD it will look for
    > packages on the internet.
    >

    > > At the moment, I'm happy running Minix as a virtual machine, but would
    > > like to able to transfer files into the new OS.

    > Copy /etc/rc.daemons.dist to /etc/rc.daemons, then reboot. You'll have
    > a number of network servers running, including FTP. This allows you to
    > easily share files between the two machines.

    My only access to the internet is via a USB wireless thing
    (this laptop is not in the first flush of its youth) which
    Minix doesn't appear able to recognise. I will try what you
    suggested when I am connected (library with wireless
    closed on Sunday), and I am thinking about going for
    wireless broadband.

    > Minix also has FTP clients
    > (ftp and ftpget), so running an FTP server on your Windows machine will
    > also do. I think you need to set up a password to log into the FTP
    > server; you can use the passwd utility to achieve this.

    I'll play around with these ideas, thanks. Do you know
    anything about giving the Minix OS any more space
    on disk, and moving files to and from Windows - i.e.
    mounting Windows directories/files/systems onto
    Minix?

    mvg.

    Paul...

    > Erik van der Kouwe

  4. Re: Newbie qustion - 2

    > My only access to the internet is via a USB wireless thing
    > (this laptop is not in the first flush of its youth) which
    > Minix doesn't appear able to recognise. I will try what you
    > suggested when I am connected (library with wireless
    > closed on Sunday), and I am thinking about going for
    > wireless broadband.

    Minix does not support USB, so that comes as no surprise. VMWare should
    be able to emulate a wired ethernet card connected to the same network
    as your USB wireless thing, so once you have Internet access it should
    work I suppose.

    You can also try standing just outside the library; I don't suppose
    they shut down their WLAN on sundays

    > > Minix also has FTP clients
    > > (ftp and ftpget), so running an FTP server on your Windows machine
    > > will also do. I think you need to set up a password to log into the
    > > FTP server; you can use the passwd utility to achieve this.

    > I'll play around with these ideas, thanks. Do you know
    > anything about giving the Minix OS any more space
    > on disk, and moving files to and from Windows - i.e.
    > mounting Windows directories/files/systems onto
    > Minix?

    AFAIK there is no utility to resize Minix partitions while retaining
    data. The best approach is probably to simply create a new VM yourself.
    VMWare player does enable you to do this, but you can do it using
    Notepad (to edit the VMX file) and Qemu (the qemu-img can create VMDK
    disks; you can download it here: http://bellard.org/qemu/). Download
    the Minix ISO and specify it as a CD-ROM drive for VMWare to install.

    Minix can only mount its own filesystem, but utilities are provided to
    used FAT partitions (dosread, doswrite, dosdir) and ISO CD-ROMs
    (isoread, isodir).

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  5. Re: Newbie qustion - 2

    Erik van der Kouwe wrote ...
    >> My only access to the internet is via a USB wireless thing
    >> (this laptop is not in the first flush of its youth) which
    >> Minix doesn't appear able to recognise. I will try what you
    >> suggested when I am connected (library with wireless
    >> closed on Sunday), and I am thinking about going for
    >> wireless broadband.

    > Minix does not support USB, so that comes as no surprise. VMWare should
    > be able to emulate a wired ethernet card connected to the same network
    > as your USB wireless thing, so once you have Internet access it should
    > work, I suppose.

    Run Minix in the VMware player. "Pull down" the player's Ethernet sub-menu.
    You will see three choices: "Bridged", "NAT", and "Host-only". You want
    "NAT" -- if it already is selected, then you are ready. If it isn't, then
    click on it, switch input to Minix, and give the "reboot" command. Minix
    will display a lot of stuff, until it shows a line with "dhcpd" on it. The
    OS will print a couple of more lines, then sit quietly for a while. During
    that time, the VMware player is describing one of its virtual networks to
    Minix. (The three choices have different networks, which is why you might
    have needed to reboot.)

    If you are using a firewall, then you might need to create some rules for
    those VMware virtual networks. They often send some ICMP packets (ping and
    NetBIOS) to themselves. And, when Minix wants to talk to the Internet, the
    NAT network will ask the host operating system to make the connection -- in
    exactly the same way as your web browser does it.

    > You can also try standing just outside the library; I don't suppose
    > they shut down their WLAN on sundays. :-)
    >
    >> > Minix also has FTP clients
    >> > (ftp and ftpget), so running an FTP server on your Windows machine
    >> > will also do. I think you need to set up a password to log into the
    >> > FTP server; you can use the passwd utility to achieve this.

    "man ftpd" tells you how to set up Minix's FTP server.

    >> I'll play around with these ideas, thanks. Do you know
    >> anything about giving the Minix OS any more space
    >> on disk, and moving files to and from Windows -- i.e.,
    >> mounting Windows directories/files/systems onto
    >> Minix?

    > AFAIK, there is no utility to resize Minix partitions while retaining
    > data. The best approach probably is simply to create a new VM, yourself.
    > VMWare player does enable you to do this, but you can do it using
    > Notepad (to edit the VMX file) and Qemu (the qemu-img can create VMDK
    > disks; you can download it here: http://bellard.org/qemu/). Download
    > the Minix ISO, and specify it as a CD-ROM drive for VMWare to install.

    http://www.easyvmx.com/ is another source of (empty) "virtual machines," of
    any size.

+ Reply to Thread