Newbie question - 1 - Minix

This is a discussion on Newbie question - 1 - Minix ; Hi all, Dowloaded the minix3 virtual machine and the vmware player on a laptop that currently has no CD (see Newbie question - 2) and have played around with it for a wee while. A couple of questions have come ...

  1. Newbie question - 1

    Hi all,

    Dowloaded the minix3 virtual machine and the vmware player on a
    laptop
    that currently has no CD (see Newbie question - 2) and have played
    around
    with it for a wee while.

    A couple of questions have come up - minor annoyances basically and I
    wonder
    could anybody shed any light on them.

    The prompt is "# " which is fine, but if I mistype a command - say

    # xyz

    I get

    xyz: No such file or directory
    *

    where "* " is the new prompt and it remains the prompt until I type in
    a valid
    command.

    Could someone tell me what this behaviour is about? I've never seen it
    with other
    shells I've worked with and am just wondering what, *_exactly_* it's
    telling me.

    It also happens if I type, say "man alias" where the alias command
    doesn't exist.
    Does the alias command not exist under ash? I would like to alias ls
    as
    ls -lt or similar.

    Thirdly, is there anyway of setting the system so that the Tab key
    shows all the
    executables beginning with the letter or letters that I have typed
    into the line,

    i.e. if I type "c" + Tab, then I should be offered cc, chroot, cd....
    et cetera. - i.e.
    all the possible commands beginning with "c".

    It works well - i.e. very bash-like for filename completion but should
    be (IMHO)
    context sensitive and provide exe names in the right place.

    Finally, "Tab" on its own provides a similar (but *_NOT_* identical)
    output
    to "ls" - finally, what's the difference and why is it there?

    I know that these are small questions, but they are niggling me, but I
    really
    would love to get to grips with the minix3 system and like what I see
    so
    far.

    TIA for any replies, explanations, help, references or URLs.

    Rgs.

    Paul...

  2. Re: Newbie question - 1

    > I know that these are small questions, but they are niggling me, but I
    > really
    > would love to get to grips with the minix3 system and like what I see
    > so
    > far.

    These questions are not really about Minix, but rather about its
    default shell ash. Run packman and install your favourite shell, such
    as bash.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: Newbie question - 1

    On Jul 20, 8:11 am, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:

    > > I know that these are small questions, but they are niggling me, but I
    > > really would love to get to grips with the minix3 system and like what I see
    > > so far.

    > These questions are not really about Minix, but rather about its
    > default shell ash. Run packman and install your favourite shell, such
    > as bash.

    I appreciate this to an extent - however, I did read the
    man ash and man sh pages and found nothing about
    the prompt and why it changes when a non-existent
    command is typed in, or why it does this when one
    looks for the man page of a non-existent command.

    Googling gave me nothing and neither did anything
    else I found on the system itself or the internet.

    I appreciate that this is a small "niggle" or quibble
    or annoyance, but I would really like to understand
    why the system does this - what was the thinking
    behind those who wrote this shell?

    I you read my other post, you would see that I have
    no CDROM and cannot bring files from Windows
    to Minix in order to install them. I cannot run
    packman either - however, even if I could install
    the bash shell, I would like to understand what's
    going on. Maybe this behaviour is a good idea,
    only I haven't figured out why yet?

    I am currently working on resolving the missing
    CDROM problem. I am running Minix as a virtual
    machine under VMWare, brought onto the Windows
    box with a memory stick, but Minix can't pick that
    up (or at least I don't know how to do it yet), and
    I can't boot from USB devices.

    Thanks for your input.

    Rgs./mvg

    Paul...

    > Erik van der Kouwe

  4. Re: Newbie question - 1

    linehan.paul wrote ...

    > Dowloaded the Minix3 virtual machine and the vmware player on a laptop
    > that currently has no CD (see Newbie question - 2), and have played
    > around with it for a wee while.
    > A couple of questions have come up -- minor annoyances basically, and I
    > wonder, could anybody shed any light on them.
    >
    > The prompt is "# ", which is fine; but, if I mistype a command -- say,
    > # xyz
    > I get:
    > xyz: No such file or directory
    > *
    > where "* " is the new prompt, and it remains the prompt until I type in
    > a valid command.
    >
    > Could someone tell me what this behaviour is about? I've never seen it
    > with other shells I've worked with, and am just wondering what *_exactly_*
    > it's telling me.

    It is a visual indication that the most recent exit-status is not zero.
    (The command "echo $?" shows the number.)

    > It also happens if I type, say, "man alias", where the alias command
    > doesn't exist.
    > Does the alias command not exist under ash? I would like to alias ls
    > as "ls -lt" or similar.

    Ash does not have "alias" -- you must define a function.

    > Thirdly, is there anyway of setting the system so that the Tab-key
    > shows all the executables beginning with the letter or letters
    > that I have typed into the line; i.e., if I type "c" + Tab,
    > then I should be offered cc, chroot, cd, et. cetera.
    > -- i.e., all the possible commands beginning with "c".
    > It works well -- i.e., very Bash-like for filename-completion,
    > but should be (IMHO) context-sensitive, and provide exe names
    > in the right place.
    > Finally, "Tab" on its own provides a similar (but *_NOT_* identical)
    > output to "ls" -- finally, what's the difference, and why is it there?

    Strictly speaking, neither the shell nor "the system" does that! A function
    library that does line-editing handles the TAB-key. "Bigger" systems
    usually have a library that is called "readline". "Standard" Minix has a
    smaller, simpler library that is called "editline" (it has a man page).
    "Readline" can know the context of the line that you are editing; "editline"
    cannot.

+ Reply to Thread