Problem installing minix 3.1.3 on VMware - Minix

This is a discussion on Problem installing minix 3.1.3 on VMware - Minix ; Hi Has anyone experienced an error like the following one when you try to install Minix 3.1.3 on VmWare workstation 6? Ho can I fix it? VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0) ASSERT C:/ob/bora-45731/bora/vmcore/private\iospace_shared.h:491 bugNr=64440 A log file is available in ...

  1. Problem installing minix 3.1.3 on VMware

    Hi
    Has anyone experienced an error like the following one when you try to
    install Minix 3.1.3 on VmWare workstation 6?
    Ho can I fix it?

    VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
    ASSERT C:/ob/bora-45731/bora/vmcore/private\iospace_shared.h:491
    bugNr=64440
    A log file is available in "C:\Documents and Settings\Domenico
    \Documenti\My Virtual Machines\minix3.13\vmware.log". A core file is
    available in "C:\Documents and Settings\Domenico\Dati applicazioni
    \VMware\vmware-vmx-1676.dmp". Please request support and include the
    contents of the log file and core file.
    To collect files to submit to VMware support, run "vm-support.vbs".
    We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

  2. Re: Problem installing minix 3.1.3 on VMware

    > Has anyone experienced an error like the following one when you try to
    > install Minix 3.1.3 on VmWare workstation 6?
    > Ho can I fix it?

    Given the error message this is clearly a bug in VMWare, not in Minix.
    You can check on their website whether you have the newest version;
    maybe this has been fixed.

    Is there a specific reason you want to run 3.1.3? I would generally
    recommend that you use 3.1.2a, which is more stable than 3.1.3. ISTM
    3.1.3 is mostly useful if you want to get bleeding edge Minix from SVN;
    for normal usage 3.1.2a is more suitable. Maybe 3.1.2a will not trigger
    the VMWare bug.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: Problem installing minix 3.1.3 on VMware

    On Jul 16, 2:23 pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > > Has anyone experienced an error like the following one when you try to
    > > install Minix 3.1.3 on VmWare workstation 6?
    > > Ho can I fix it?

    Thank you Erik,
    I only wanted to teake a look at some Minix 3.1.3 files,
    is there a repository where I can find the entire code of Minix
    3.1.3?

    > Given the error message this is clearly a bug in VMWare, not in Minix.
    > You can check on their website whether you have the newest version;
    > maybe this has been fixed.
    >
    > Is there a specific reason you want to run 3.1.3? I would generally
    > recommend that you use 3.1.2a, which is more stable than 3.1.3. ISTM
    > 3.1.3 is mostly useful if you want to get bleeding edge Minix from SVN;
    > for normal usage 3.1.2a is more suitable. Maybe 3.1.2a will not trigger
    > the VMWare bug.
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

  4. Re: Problem installing minix 3.1.3 on VMware

    > > > Has anyone experienced an error like the following one when you
    > > > try to install Minix 3.1.3 on VmWare workstation 6?
    > > > Ho can I fix it?

    > Thank you Erik,
    > I only wanted to teake a look at some Minix 3.1.3 files,
    > is there a repository where I can find the entire code of Minix
    > 3.1.3?

    Yes, you can look directly into the source control here:
    https://gforge.cs.vu.nl/plugins/scms...hp/?root=minix

    AFAIK branches contains the released versions; 3.1.3 seems to be in the
    r3.1.3 subdirectory. If you want the most up-to-date code, take a look
    at the trunk directory.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe