Minix 3 Package Management System - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix 3 Package Management System - Minix ; Hi all, I'm really having a great fun Minix 3 these days. However, since Minix 3 supports relatively fewer number of packages compare to Linux distributions such as OpenSUSE or Debian, as a Debian user, I found out using Minix ...

  1. Minix 3 Package Management System

    Hi all,

    I'm really having a great fun Minix 3 these days. However, since Minix
    3 supports relatively fewer number of packages compare to Linux
    distributions such as OpenSUSE or Debian, as a Debian user, I found
    out using Minix is a great challenge as well.

    I suggest it would be really great if Minix has apt or yum like
    package management system. I know this requires huge man power.

    By the way, I really appreciate to the Professor Tanunbaum!

    cheers,
    Alex Kim

  2. Re: Minix 3 Package Management System

    Alexander Dong Back Kim wrote:
    > Hi all,

    > I'm really having a great fun Minix 3 these days. However, since Minix
    > 3 supports relatively fewer number of packages compare to Linux
    > distributions such as OpenSUSE or Debian, as a Debian user, I found
    > out using Minix is a great challenge as well.

    > I suggest it would be really great if Minix has apt or yum like
    > package management system. I know this requires huge man power.

    Hi Alex,

    Simply having apt or yum won't help much: it's the number of packages
    themselves that's the problem. Minix has packman, which functions fine as
    a packet manager (at least for now). What we really need is people porting
    software from Linux or BSD to Minix. What package format (if any) they
    are made available in is of lesser concern.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Minix 3 Package Management System

    On Jul 11, 8:15*pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > Alexander Dong Back Kim wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > > I'm really having a great fun Minix 3 these days. However, since Minix
    > > 3 supports relatively fewer number of packages compare to Linux
    > > distributions such as OpenSUSE or Debian, as a Debian user, I found
    > > out using Minix is a great challenge as well.
    > > I suggest it would be really great if Minix has apt or yum like
    > > package management system. I know this requires huge man power.

    > Hi Alex,
    >
    > Simply having apt or yum won't help much: it's the number of packages
    > themselves that's the problem. Minix has packman, which functions fine as
    > a packet manager (at least for now). What we really need is people porting
    > software from Linux or BSD to Minix. What package format (if any) they
    > are made available in is of lesser concern.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    Thanks for you hint!! I've just installed it and found out packman is
    very useful!!! (although there are only about 100 packages in the
    list).

    I'm struggling to use SCP on Minix 3.1.2a!!!

    cheers,
    AK

  4. Re: Minix 3 Package Management System

    Alexander Dong Back Kim wrote:
    > I suggest it would be really great if Minix has apt or yum like
    > package management system. I know this requires huge man power.

    Maybe NetBSD ports ('pkgsrc') would be much easier to port/maintain.

    --
    Saludos,
    Angel

    O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail and posts - www.asciiribbon.org