understanding service command - Minix

This is a discussion on understanding service command - Minix ; I keep wandering deeper into the trees while trying to see the forest. Right now I'm reading the code for the 'service' command. It doesn't seem to agree with the documentation (the man page). I figure I might as well ...

  1. understanding service command

    I keep wandering deeper into the trees while trying to see the forest.

    Right now I'm reading the code for the 'service' command. It doesn't
    seem
    to agree with the documentation (the man page). I figure I might as
    well
    try to update the man page as I go. If anyone can give me a some
    answers for the following questions, I would appreciate it.

    I can guess at some of the answers and eventually figure them out from
    the
    code, but am not confident I can explain them correctly and concisely
    enough for the man page.

    1. In the code and in the usage printout, there is a '-c' parameter.
    What is
    this for? And how does it affect the different commands.

    2. What is the difference between the 'up' and 'run' service commands?

    3. What does the 'restart' service command do?

    4. It looks like service will also parse an 'upcopy' command, which
    causes it to execute the same code as the 'up' command with a '-c'
    switch, but it does not parse the remaining arguments, leaving the
    corresponding variables undefined. Is this intentional?

    5. The '-c' switch may be used with any command, although the
    usage printout indicates it is only to be used with the 'run' and
    'up'
    commands. Is this intentional?

    6. There is an undocumented optional '-label

  2. Re: understanding service command

    On Jul 6, 10:23 pm, philg wrote:
    > I keep wandering deeper into the trees while trying to see the forest.
    >
    > Right now I'm reading the code for the 'service' command. It doesn't
    > seem
    > to agree with the documentation (the man page). I figure I might as
    > well
    > try to update the man page as I go. If anyone can give me a some
    > answers for the following questions, I would appreciate it.
    >
    > I can guess at some of the answers and eventually figure them out from
    > the
    > code, but am not confident I can explain them correctly and concisely
    > enough for the man page.
    >
    > 1. In the code and in the usage printout, there is a '-c' parameter.
    > What is
    > this for? And how does it affect the different commands.
    >
    > 2. What is the difference between the 'up' and 'run' service commands?
    >
    > 3. What does the 'restart' service command do?
    >
    > 4. It looks like service will also parse an 'upcopy' command, which
    > causes it to execute the same code as the 'up' command with a '-c'
    > switch, but it does not parse the remaining arguments, leaving the
    > corresponding variables undefined. Is this intentional?
    >
    > 5. The '-c' switch may be used with any command, although the
    > usage printout indicates it is only to be used with the 'run' and
    > 'up'
    > commands. Is this intentional?
    >
    > 6. There is an undocumented optional '-label

    Believe it or not, I just figured out that I have been
    reading the code for MINIX 3.1.3, not 3.1.2.

    Sorry about the confusion.

+ Reply to Thread