Somebody want to moderate this? - Minix

This is a discussion on Somebody want to moderate this? - Minix ; Hey guys - The amount of spam is getting obscene here. Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this newsgroup? I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Somebody want to moderate this?

  1. Somebody want to moderate this?

    Hey guys -

    The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    newsgroup?

    I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is getting
    out of hand!

    Thanks,

    R.A. Nagy
    http://Soft9000.com




  2. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    In article , R.A. Nagy wrote:
    >I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is getting
    >out of hand!


    I just kill everything from google. Works like a charm.


    --
    That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
    could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
    by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
    -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

  3. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On 6月27日, 上午5时23分, "R.A. Nagy" wrote:
    > Hey guys -
    >
    > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.
    >
    > Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    > newsgroup?
    >
    > I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is getting
    > out of hand!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > R.A. Nagyhttp://Soft9000.com


    I support you do it.
    The spam makes me feeling so annoyed.

  4. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    >> Hey guys -
    >>
    >> The amount of spam is getting obscene here.
    >>
    >> Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    >> newsgroup?
    >>
    >> I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is
    >> getting
    >> out of hand!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> R.A. Nagy
    >> http://Soft9000.com


    > I support you do it.
    > The spam makes me feeling so annoyed.


    More than happy to - Anyone wanting to convert this forum to moderated, just
    let me know!

    Thanks,

    R.A. Nagy
    http://Soft9000.com



  5. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On 6月27日, 上午10时36分, "R.A. Nagy" wrote:
    > >> Hey guys -

    >
    > >> The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    >
    > >> Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    > >> newsgroup?

    >
    > >> I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is
    > >> getting
    > >> out of hand!

    >
    > >> Thanks,

    >
    > >> R.A. Nagy
    > >>http://Soft9000.com

    > > I support you do it.
    > > The spam makes me feeling so annoyed.

    >
    > More than happy to - Anyone wanting to convert this forum to moderated, just
    > let me know!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > R.A. Nagyhttp://Soft9000.com- 隐藏被引用文字 -
    >
    > - 显示引用的文字 -


    I have search the whole google groups and find that
    the poor guy only post spam to a few groups recently, no more than 10,
    which include comp.os.minix.
    I really can't understand why he did so.

  6. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    > I have search the whole google groups and find that
    > the poor guy only post spam to a few groups recently, no more than 10,
    > which include comp.os.minix.
    > I really can't understand why he did so.


    They probably work for Red Hat or Microsoft ...

    Minix 3 is truly innovative. It will be great some day... and they know
    it...

    ;-)



  7. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    yeah...

    this was discussed several times here.
    when i remember right, the way of the "gurus" is to subscribe to the
    list and filter the posts in your client.

    i'd like to see the mailing list clean on groups.google.com, too - but
    i'm not sure if someone cares...


    markus.

  8. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On Jun 27, 8:11 am, non wrote:
    > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    >
    > yeah...
    >
    > this was discussed several times here.
    > when i remember right, the way of the "gurus" is to subscribe to the
    > list and filter the posts in your client.
    >
    > i'd like to see the mailing list clean on groups.google.com, too - but
    > i'm not sure if someone cares...
    >
    > markus.



    Yes, I would like to see a clean list on groups.google.com

    My ISP (Time-Warner/Road Runner) is dropping their news
    server so I am using Google Groups. As far as I can tell,
    there is no way to access the google server other than the
    web interface.

    Would it be very difficult to set up an automated
    moderator that would just filter out the spam?

  9. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On Jun 27, 3:11 pm, non wrote:
    > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    >
    > yeah...
    >
    > this was discussed several times here.
    > when i remember right, the way of the "gurus" is to subscribe to the
    > list and filter the posts in your client.
    >
    > i'd like to see the mailing list clean on groups.google.com, too - but
    > i'm not sure if someone cares...
    >
    > markus.


    newsgroup, not mailing list.... i'm frequently confused with those
    two...

  10. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?


    "philg" wrote in message
    news:7c87a00f-6545-4ba7-9e02-a27d6dc9d5e4@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
    > On Jun 27, 8:11 am, non wrote:
    >> > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    >>
    >> yeah...
    >>
    >> this was discussed several times here.
    >> when i remember right, the way of the "gurus" is to subscribe to the
    >> list and filter the posts in your client.
    >>
    >> i'd like to see the mailing list clean on groups.google.com, too - but
    >> i'm not sure if someone cares...
    >>
    >> markus.

    >
    >
    > Yes, I would like to see a clean list on groups.google.com
    >
    > My ISP (Time-Warner/Road Runner) is dropping their news
    > server so I am using Google Groups. As far as I can tell,
    > there is no way to access the google server other than the
    > web interface.
    >
    > Would it be very difficult to set up an automated
    > moderator that would just filter out the spam?


    Not sure if anything exists, but I would be willing to give it a try if no
    other way can be found.

    I have a lot of C++ dedicated to Usenet. Might be worth writing a web
    service or two...




  11. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On Jun 26, 3:23 pm, "R.A. Nagy" wrote:
    > Hey guys -
    >
    > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.
    >
    > Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    > newsgroup?
    >
    > I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is getting
    > out of hand!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > R.A. Nagyhttp://Soft9000.com


    Dear Minix Developers,

    For the past month or so, I have been forwarding all the spam on the
    list to spam@uce.gov and abuse@googlegroups.com. However, because
    this is an unmoderated usenet group (see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#...ted_newsgroups),
    neither the U.S. government nor Google can really prosecute against
    such unsolicited bulk messages (until he does something illegal).

    I, James Carroll, would be more than happy to moderate this group. I
    vote that we change the group. The way I see it, we have two options:

    1. A moderated usenet group
    2. A non-usenet group.

    What do you all think? If we go with a moderated usenet group, I
    suggest that we elect a few moderators, to ensure that the messages
    will be approved frequently and regularly. If we go with a non-usenet
    group, I recommend a Google Group or a mailman list on a (minix)
    server.

    Cheers,
    James Carroll

  12. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On Jun 28, 3:41*am, James Carroll
    wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 3:23 pm, "R.A. Nagy" wrote:
    >
    > > Hey guys -

    >
    > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    >
    > > Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    > > newsgroup?

    >
    > > I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is getting
    > > out of hand!

    >
    > > Thanks,

    >
    > > R.A. Nagyhttp://Soft9000.com

    >
    > Dear Minix Developers,
    >
    > For the past month or so, I have been forwarding all the spam on the
    > list to s...@uce.gov and abuse@googlegroups.com. *However, because
    > this is an unmoderated usenet group (seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Moderated_and_unmoderated_newsgroups),
    > neither the U.S. government nor Google can really prosecute against
    > such unsolicited bulk messages (until he does something illegal).
    >
    > I, James Carroll, would be more than happy to moderate this group. *I
    > vote that we change the group. *The way I see it, we have two options:
    >
    > 1. A moderated usenet group
    > 2. A non-usenet group.
    >
    > What do you all think? *If we go with a moderated usenet group, I
    > suggest that we elect a few moderators, to ensure that the messages
    > will be approved frequently and regularly. *If we go with a non-usenet
    > group, I recommend a Google Group or a mailman list on a (minix)
    > server.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > James Carroll


    Used to get the same thing on the Python User Group on Google. I had
    complained to Google and they had said the same thing. Then shortly
    after it all stopped. I don't know what happened to stop it.

  13. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On Jun 28, 12:41*am, James Carroll
    wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 3:23 pm, "R.A. Nagy" wrote:
    >
    > > Hey guys -

    >
    > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    >
    > > Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    > > newsgroup?

    >
    > > I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is getting
    > > out of hand!

    >
    > > Thanks,

    >
    > > R.A. Nagyhttp://Soft9000.com

    >
    > Dear Minix Developers,
    >
    > For the past month or so, I have been forwarding all the spam on the
    > list to s...@uce.gov and abuse@googlegroups.com. *However, because
    > this is an unmoderated usenet group (seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Moderated_and_unmoderated_newsgroups),
    > neither the U.S. government nor Google can really prosecute against
    > such unsolicited bulk messages (until he does something illegal).
    >
    > I, James Carroll, would be more than happy to moderate this group. *I
    > vote that we change the group. *The way I see it, we have two options:
    >
    > 1. A moderated usenet group
    > 2. A non-usenet group.
    >
    > What do you all think? *If we go with a moderated usenet group, I
    > suggest that we elect a few moderators, to ensure that the messages
    > will be approved frequently and regularly. *If we go with a non-usenet
    > group, I recommend a Google Group or a mailman list on a (minix)
    > server.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > James Carroll


    I second the notion of having a moderator, as the group as currently
    constituted not only does not serve its purpose but is a strong
    negative to anyone visiting. James, we do not know each other but
    thanks for considering donating your effort and time to perform this
    function.

    Regards,
    N

  14. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On Jun 28, 6:29*am, peter777 wrote:
    > On Jun 28, 12:41*am, James Carroll
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Jun 26, 3:23 pm, "R.A. Nagy" wrote:

    >
    > > > Hey guys -

    >
    > > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    >
    > > > Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    > > > newsgroup?

    >
    > > > I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is getting
    > > > out of hand!

    >
    > > > Thanks,

    >
    > > > R.A. Nagyhttp://Soft9000.com

    >
    > > Dear Minix Developers,

    >
    > > For the past month or so, I have been forwarding all the spam on the
    > > list to s...@uce.gov and abuse@googlegroups.com. *However, because
    > > this is an unmoderated usenet group (seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Moderated_and_unmoderated_newsgroups),
    > > neither the U.S. government nor Google can really prosecute against
    > > such unsolicited bulk messages (until he does something illegal).

    >
    > > I, James Carroll, would be more than happy to moderate this group. *I
    > > vote that we change the group. *The way I see it, we have two options:

    >
    > > 1. A moderated usenet group
    > > 2. A non-usenet group.

    >
    > > What do you all think? *If we go with a moderated usenet group, I
    > > suggest that we elect a few moderators, to ensure that the messages
    > > will be approved frequently and regularly. *If we go with a non-usenet
    > > group, I recommend a Google Group or a mailman list on a (minix)
    > > server.

    >
    > > Cheers,
    > > James Carroll

    >
    > I second the notion of having a moderator, as the group as currently
    > constituted not only does not serve its purpose but is a strong
    > negative to anyone visiting. *James, we do not know each other but
    > thanks for considering donating your effort and time to perform this
    > function.
    >
    > Regards,
    > * *N- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    All,

    I just re-read the thread and noticed that Mr. N.A Nagy as well as
    James offered to moderate. This sounds good and I again second the
    notion - perhaps both can perform that much needed function.

    Regards,
    P

  15. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On 6月28日, 下午3时41分, James Carroll
    wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 3:23 pm, "R.A. Nagy" wrote:
    >
    > > Hey guys -

    >
    > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    >
    > > Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    > > newsgroup?

    >
    > > I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is getting
    > > out of hand!

    >
    > > Thanks,

    >
    > > R.A. Nagyhttp://Soft9000.com

    >
    > Dear Minix Developers,
    >
    > For the past month or so, I have been forwarding all the spam on the
    > list to spam@uce.gov and abuse@googlegroups.com. However, because
    > this is an unmoderated usenet group (seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Moderated_and_unmoderated_newsgroups),
    > neither the U.S. government nor Google can really prosecute against
    > such unsolicited bulk messages (until he does something illegal).
    >
    > I, James Carroll, would be more than happy to moderate this group. I
    > vote that we change the group. The way I see it, we have two options:
    >
    > 1. A moderated usenet group
    > 2. A non-usenet group.
    >
    > What do you all think? If we go with a moderated usenet group, I
    > suggest that we elect a few moderators, to ensure that the messages
    > will be approved frequently and regularly. If we go with a non-usenet
    > group, I recommend a Google Group or a mailman list on a (minix)
    > server.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > James Carroll


    The first way sounds better.

  16. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On 6月28日, 下午3时41分, James Carroll
    wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 3:23 pm, "R.A. Nagy" wrote:
    >
    > > Hey guys -

    >
    > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    >
    > > Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    > > newsgroup?

    >
    > > I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is getting
    > > out of hand!

    >
    > > Thanks,

    >
    > > R.A. Nagyhttp://Soft9000.com

    >
    > Dear Minix Developers,
    >
    > For the past month or so, I have been forwarding all the spam on the
    > list to s...@uce.gov and abuse@googlegroups.com. However, because
    > this is an unmoderated usenet group (seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Moderated_and_unmoderated_newsgroups),
    > neither the U.S. government nor Google can really prosecute against
    > such unsolicited bulk messages (until he does something illegal).
    >
    > I, James Carroll, would be more than happy to moderate this group. I
    > vote that we change the group. The way I see it, we have two options:
    >
    > 1. A moderated usenet group
    > 2. A non-usenet group.
    >
    > What do you all think? If we go with a moderated usenet group, I
    > suggest that we elect a few moderators, to ensure that the messages
    > will be approved frequently and regularly. If we go with a non-usenet
    > group, I recommend a Google Group or a mailman list on a (minix)
    > server.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > James Carroll


    Please try them both,
    and I am looking forward to them.
    Thank you for what you do.

  17. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    I agree. I wouldn't mind helping with the moderating, if you need more
    people.
    -Srijak


    On Jun 26, 5:23 pm, "R.A. Nagy" wrote:
    > Hey guys -
    >
    > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.
    >
    > Anyone at the university want to earn a resume bullet by moderating this
    > newsgroup?
    >
    > I might even be willing to do it myself - This is spam nonsense is getting
    > out of hand!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > R.A. Nagyhttp://Soft9000.com



  18. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    All,

    > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.


    True. As Philip said though, filtering out postings made by Google
    Groups works very well - practically all spam originates from there.
    Unfortunately there are are a few legitimate posters from there as well.
    (I have sent a complaint but I'm not counting on that helping.)

    The problem is that getting comp.os.minix moderated through regular
    channels is likely a painful and slow process, and might not work for
    long against spam. Cancelling the spam posts is poor etiquette, will
    probably get the canceller into trouble, and cancels might not get
    honoured.

    My suggestion for the short term is, as Philip suggested, for readers to
    kill posts originating from google groups and for posters to find a
    different service to post from.

    We could move to a mailinglist.

    =Ben



  19. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > We could move to a mailinglist.

    +1 for mailing list.

  20. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On Jul 3, 10:37 am, Ben Gras wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    >
    > True. As Philip said though, filtering out postings made by Google
    > Groups works very well - practically all spam originates from there.
    > Unfortunately there are are a few legitimate posters from there as well.
    > (I have sent a complaint but I'm not counting on that helping.)
    >
    > The problem is that getting comp.os.minix moderated through regular
    > channels is likely a painful and slow process, and might not work for
    > long against spam. Cancelling the spam posts is poor etiquette, will
    > probably get the canceller into trouble, and cancels might not get
    > honoured.
    >
    > My suggestion for the short term is, as Philip suggested, for readers to
    > kill posts originating from google groups and for posters to find a
    > different service to post from.
    >
    > We could move to a mailinglist.
    >
    > =Ben


    For those of you who use FireFox and Google Groups to
    view this news group , there is a Javascript tool
    designed for this purpose at
    http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

    I have not tried it yet because I'm using an outdated
    version of FireFox (still running FC4), so I cannot
    tell you how well it works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast