Somebody want to moderate this? - Minix

This is a discussion on Somebody want to moderate this? - Minix ; Ben Gras wrote: > All, > > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here. > > True. As Philip said though, filtering out postings made by Google > Groups works very well - practically all spam originates from ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    Ben Gras wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    > True. As Philip said though, filtering out postings made by Google
    > Groups works very well - practically all spam originates from there.
    > Unfortunately there are are a few legitimate posters from there as
    > well. (I have sent a complaint but I'm not counting on that helping.)
    >
    > The problem is that getting comp.os.minix moderated through regular
    > channels is likely a painful and slow process, and might not work for
    > long against spam. Cancelling the spam posts is poor etiquette, will
    > probably get the canceller into trouble, and cancels might not get
    > honoured.
    >
    > My suggestion for the short term is, as Philip suggested, for readers
    > to kill posts originating from google groups and for posters to find a
    > different service to post from.
    >
    > We could move to a mailinglist.

    I definately prefer the newsgroup over a mailing list; the current
    situation is much more open and low-threshold. The spam is hitting this
    group specifically; as soon as they find out no-one here buys their
    pills, they will probably bugger off.

    I would also like to note that these posts are NOT originating for
    Google Groups, so complaining to them will not help. If you whois the
    IP addresses you'll see that none of them is really coming from Google.
    In my sample of three, I found each spam to originate in Indonesia.

    One solution would be to filter out all posts specifying the Google
    Groups user agent while originating from Asia. Asian ranges are listed
    here: http://www.apnic.net/db/ranges.html

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  2. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    On Jul 3, 1:55 pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > Ben Gras wrote:
    > > All,

    > > > The amount of spam is getting obscene here.

    > > True. As Philip said though, filtering out postings made by Google
    > > Groups works very well - practically all spam originates from there.
    > > Unfortunately there are are a few legitimate posters from there as
    > > well. (I have sent a complaint but I'm not counting on that helping.)

    > > The problem is that getting comp.os.minix moderated through regular
    > > channels is likely a painful and slow process, and might not work for
    > > long against spam. Cancelling the spam posts is poor etiquette, will
    > > probably get the canceller into trouble, and cancels might not get
    > > honoured.

    > > My suggestion for the short term is, as Philip suggested, for readers
    > > to kill posts originating from google groups and for posters to find a
    > > different service to post from.

    > > We could move to a mailinglist.

    > I definately prefer the newsgroup over a mailing list; the current
    > situation is much more open and low-threshold. The spam is hitting this
    > group specifically; as soon as they find out no-one here buys their
    > pills, they will probably bugger off.
    >
    > I would also like to note that these posts are NOT originating for
    > Google Groups, so complaining to them will not help. If you whois the
    > IP addresses you'll see that none of them is really coming from Google.
    > In my sample of three, I found each spam to originate in Indonesia.
    >
    > One solution would be to filter out all posts specifying the Google
    > Groups user agent while originating from Asia. Asian ranges are listed
    > here:http://www.apnic.net/db/ranges.html
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

    I assume Philip meant Gmail when he said Google.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the Google Groups
    admins to pass on complaints to the Gmail admins, since
    they both belong to the same parent organization. Besides,
    why else would they have a built-in mechanism for complaints
    which includes a checkbox for spamming?

    Note that some of the spammer's gmail accounts have been
    shut down - it just takes a while.

    The ggkiller (Google Groups Killfile) tool I mentioned
    in my previous post does not kill posts from Google
    Groups. As I understand it, ggkiller implements a kill
    file (black list) as a list of regular expressions.
    It filters out all posts that match any of the regular
    expressions by deleting them from the browser's DOM
    representation of Google Group's html.

    I haven't tried it yet, but I am hoping ggkiller also
    requests multiple pages to fill in the deleted posts,
    otherwise the pages for this group will be pretty
    sparse.

  3. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    > I don't know what you mean with 'NOT originating for Google Groups'.
    > But this article was definitely injected into the Usenet system by
    > Google.

    Obviously these headers are easy to forge. Look up the IP address and
    you'll find that this was not posted by Google Groups, but by some host
    in Indonesia:

    ~>whois 125.163.82.250
    % [whois.apnic.net node-2]
    % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

    inetnum: 125.160.0.0 - 125.163.255.255
    netname: TELKOMNET
    descr: PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia
    descr: Menara Multimedia Lt. 7
    descr: Jl. Kebon Sirih No. 12
    descr: JAKARTA - 10340
    country: ID
    admin-c: AN163-AP
    tech-c: IS49-AP
    status: ALLOCATED PORTABLE
    mnt-by: APNIC-HM
    mnt-lower: MAINT-TELKOMNET
    remarks: For SPAM or ABUSE case, send to abuse@telkom.net.id
    remarks: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    remarks: This object can only be updated by APNIC hostmasters.
    remarks: To update this object, please contact APNIC
    remarks: hostmasters and include your organisation's account
    remarks: name in the subject line.
    remarks: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    changed: hm-changed@apnic.net 20050902
    changed: hm-changed@apnic.net 20051223
    source: APNIC

    route: 125.163.64.0/19
    descr: PT. TELKOM INDONESIA
    descr: Menara Multimedia Lt. 7
    descr: Jl. Kebonsirih No.12
    descr: JAKARTA
    country: ID
    origin: AS7713
    mnt-by: MAINT-TELKOMNET
    changed: yogo@telkom.co.id 20051223
    source: APNIC

    person: Adriansjah Nasution
    nic-hdl: AN163-AP
    e-mail: adriansjah@telkom.co.id
    address: PT. TELKOM INDONESIA
    address: Menara Multimedia Lt. 7
    address: Jl. Kebonsirih No.12
    address: JAKARTA
    phone: +62-21-3860500
    fax-no: +62-21-3861215
    country: ID
    changed: yogo@telkom.co.id 20050802
    mnt-by: MAINT-TELKOMNET
    source: APNIC

    person: Iskandar Satyogo Prasetyo
    nic-hdl: IS49-AP
    e-mail: yogo@telkom.co.id
    address: PT. TELEKOMUNIKASI INDONESIA
    address: MULTIMEDIA DIVISION
    address: Jl. Kebonsirih No.12 7th floor
    address: Jakarta Indonesia
    phone: +62-21-3860500
    fax-no: +62-21-3861215
    country: ID
    changed: m_untung@telkom.co.id 20040729
    mnt-by: MAINT-TELKOMNET
    source: APNIC

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  4. Re: Somebody want to moderate this?

    > > I don't know what you mean with 'NOT originating for Google Groups'.
    > > But this article was definitely injected into the Usenet system by
    > > Google.

    > Obviously these headers are easy to forge. Look up the IP address and
    > you'll find that this was not posted by Google Groups, but by some
    > host in Indonesia:

    Hmmm... just found out that legitimate Google Groups posts also specify
    the IP Address of the user rather than Google itself, so never mind.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

+ Reply to Thread