alarm in the user proceess - Minix

This is a discussion on alarm in the user proceess - Minix ; I need an "alarm", I mean a function that after some seconds alerts my process. e.g. alarm (5) ....do_action Where can I find this function ? in which library? . At the first time I thought about sys_setalarm but it ...

  1. alarm in the user proceess

    I need an "alarm", I mean a function that after some seconds alerts my
    process.
    e.g. alarm (5) ....do_action
    Where can I find this function ? in which library? .
    At the first time I thought about sys_setalarm but it is a kernel call
    that can't
    be used by a user process.

  2. Re: alarm in the user proceess

    puntino wrote:
    > I need an "alarm", I mean a function that after some seconds alerts my
    > process.
    > e.g. alarm (5) ....do_action
    > Where can I find this function ? in which library? .
    > At the first time I thought about sys_setalarm but it is a kernel call
    > that can't
    > be used by a user process.

    alarm() is a system call in Minix that triggers the SIGALRM signal after
    x seconds. Try "man alarm" if you have the manpages installed or look at
    http://www.minix3.org/manpages/man2/alarm.2.html

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: alarm in the user proceess

    J.F. de Smit wrote:
    > puntino wrote:
    >> I need an "alarm", I mean a function that after some seconds alerts my
    >> process.
    >> e.g. alarm (5) ....do_action
    >> Where can I find this function ? in which library? .
    >> At the first time I thought about sys_setalarm but it is a kernel call
    >> that can't
    >> be used by a user process.

    > alarm() is a system call in Minix that triggers the SIGALRM signal after
    > x seconds. Try "man alarm" if you have the manpages installed or look at
    > http://www.minix3.org/manpages/man2/alarm.2.html

    Alternatively, if you only need your program to wait x seconds to
    continue, use sleep() (which uses alarm internally).

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  4. Re: alarm in the user proceess

    On Jun 20, 2:12 pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > puntino wrote:
    > > I need an "alarm", I mean a function that after some seconds alerts my
    > > process.
    > > e.g. alarm (5) ....do_action
    > > Where can I find this function ? in which library? .
    > > At the first time I thought about sys_setalarm but it is a kernel call
    > > that can't
    > > be used by a user process.

    > alarm() is a system call in Minix that triggers the SIGALRM signal after
    > x seconds. Try "man alarm" if you have the manpages installed or look athttp://www.minix3.org/manpages/man2/alarm.2.html
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    Thank you

+ Reply to Thread