No space left on device - Minix

This is a discussion on No space left on device - Minix ; I'm running Minix 3.1.2a under VMWare Player 2.0.1. It was running fine until recently. Now I am not able to log in to Minix any more. I can reboot the system, but when I try and log in, I get ...

  1. No space left on device

    I'm running Minix 3.1.2a under VMWare Player 2.0.1. It was running
    fine until recently. Now I am not able to log in to Minix any more.
    I can reboot the system, but when I try and log in, I get a "No space
    left on device 3/128" error message. Then, if I don't do anything
    else, I get a "Login timed out after 60 seconds"

    What can I do, short of starting over with a new installation? Any
    suggestions?

  2. Re: No space left on device

    > I'm running Minix 3.1.2a under VMWare Player 2.0.1. It was running
    > fine until recently. Now I am not able to log in to Minix any more.
    > I can reboot the system, but when I try and log in, I get a "No space
    > left on device 3/128" error message. Then, if I don't do anything
    > else, I get a "Login timed out after 60 seconds"
    >
    > What can I do, short of starting over with a new installation? Any
    > suggestions?

    This means that the root parition / is full. Note that everything
    except /home and /usr are stored on /, which is very small (16 MB IIRC).

    The solution is to delete some files. Obviously you cannot boot from
    your HD, so you should boot from CD instead. Then you can mount the
    first subpartition and delete some files. After a reboot you should be
    able to boot fine again.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: No space left on device

    esalmon wrote:
    > I'm running Minix 3.1.2a under VMWare Player 2.0.1. It was running
    > fine until recently. Now I am not able to log in to Minix any more.
    > I can reboot the system, but when I try and log in, I get a "No space
    > left on device 3/128" error message. Then, if I don't do anything
    > else, I get a "Login timed out after 60 seconds"

    > What can I do, short of starting over with a new installation? Any
    > suggestions?

    Get a clean VMWare image from the Minix website and alter it so that it
    mounts your current image as a secondary disk (no clue how to do this, I
    don't have experience with VMWare). Boot Minix, mount the partitions on
    the secondary disk, check which one is filled up and make some space on
    it. Then reboot your old image and see if it helped.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  4. Re: No space left on device

    On Jun 16, 1:23 am, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > > I'm running Minix 3.1.2a under VMWare Player 2.0.1. It was running
    > > fine until recently. Now I am not able to log in to Minix any more.
    > > I can reboot the system, but when I try and log in, I get a "No space
    > > left on device 3/128" error message. Then, if I don't do anything
    > > else, I get a "Login timed out after 60 seconds"

    > > What can I do, short of starting over with a new installation? Any
    > > suggestions?

    > This means that the root parition / is full. Note that everything
    > except /home and /usr are stored on /, which is very small (16 MB IIRC).
    >
    > The solution is to delete some files. Obviously you cannot boot from
    > your HD, so you should boot from CD instead. Then you can mount the
    > first subpartition and delete some files. After a reboot you should be
    > able to boot fine again.
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

    Yes, that worked. I thought that something may have dumped a core
    file in /, and sure enough there was one. Deleted it, rebooted, and
    was able to log back in.

+ Reply to Thread