Posting diffs - Minix

This is a discussion on Posting diffs - Minix ; I have a question. If I come up with a diff on a file to fix a bug or add some functionality, where should I send that? I don't have one yet, but I've looked at some of the userspace ...

  1. Posting diffs

    I have a question. If I come up with a diff on a file to fix a bug or
    add some functionality, where should I send that? I don't have one
    yet, but I've looked at some of the userspace utilties and I would
    like to add some functionality. Ive seen other groups accept diffs by
    way of a newsgroup, or via other means. Just wondered what the
    preferred method for sending diffs for Minix was.

    I've looked at the "How Can I Help?" page on the www.minix3.org site
    and the wiki, but don't see explicit instructions on how this should
    be handled.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Posting diffs

    > I have a question. If I come up with a diff on a file to fix a bug or
    > add some functionality, where should I send that? I don't have one
    > yet, but I've looked at some of the userspace utilties and I would
    > like to add some functionality. Ive seen other groups accept diffs by
    > way of a newsgroup, or via other means. Just wondered what the
    > preferred method for sending diffs for Minix was.
    >
    > I've looked at the "How Can I Help?" page on the www.minix3.org site
    > and the wiki, but don't see explicit instructions on how this should
    > be handled.

    If you have a patch to Minix itself, the most effective way to get it
    merged in is the e-mail it to the person responsible. You can check
    that at http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html - the best people to
    contact are probably those in the section "Kernel and OS Servers" as I
    think they work on Minix (almost?) full-time.

    Small patches will work though the newsgroups if you make sure the
    lines do not get truncated (check the settings of your newsreader).
    Another way is to put them on a webserver somewhere and post a link.

    It should be noted that the Minix diff and patch are bad with recursive
    patches. If you need to do multiple directories, get GNU diffutils
    (through packman) and GNU patch (you can download it from
    http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dcvmoole/minix/).

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: Posting diffs

    On Jun 13, 2:06 pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > > I have a question. If I come up with a diff on a file to fix a bug or
    > > add some functionality, where should I send that? I don't have one
    > > yet, but I've looked at some of the userspace utilties and I would
    > > like to add some functionality. Ive seen other groups accept diffs by
    > > way of a newsgroup, or via other means. Just wondered what the
    > > preferred method for sending diffs for Minix was.

    > > I've looked at the "How Can I Help?" page on thewww.minix3.orgsite
    > > and the wiki, but don't see explicit instructions on how this should
    > > be handled.

    > If you have a patch to Minix itself, the most effective way to get it
    > merged in is the e-mail it to the person responsible. You can check
    > that athttp://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html- the best people to
    > contact are probably those in the section "Kernel and OS Servers" as I
    > think they work on Minix (almost?) full-time.
    >
    > Small patches will work though the newsgroups if you make sure the
    > lines do not get truncated (check the settings of your newsreader).
    > Another way is to put them on a webserver somewhere and post a link.
    >
    > It should be noted that the Minix diff and patch are bad with recursive
    > patches. If you need to do multiple directories, get GNU diffutils
    > (through packman) and GNU patch (you can download it fromhttp://www.cs.vu.nl/~dcvmoole/minix/).
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

    Erik,

    Thank you for the response. I think my contributions will be small at
    first and will be focused on some of the user-land utilities. I will
    be either post them to the newsgroup or post them on a webserver as
    you suggested.

    Leith

+ Reply to Thread