about the compile minix3 - Minix

This is a discussion on about the compile minix3 - Minix ; Hi men, I want to compile minix3, and I have read the Tracking MINIX 3 (http:// www.minix3.org/tracking-current.html ). But I still have some questions. What are the files in src/commands/? Are they a prerequisite part of Minix? If I make ...

  1. about the compile minix3

    Hi men,

    I want to compile minix3, and I have read the Tracking MINIX 3 (http://
    www.minix3.org/tracking-current.html). But I still have some
    questions.

    What are the files in src/commands/? Are they a prerequisite part of
    Minix?

    If I make a little modification on source code, like on mfs, and I
    want to generate the image, what command should I run? I run minix on
    qemu, so I donot want to compile the files not prerequisite to the OS.
    If I run 'make world', I have to wait a long time.

    Thanks,
    Wu

  2. Re: about the compile minix3

    wubingzheng wrote:
    > Hi men,

    > I want to compile minix3, and I have read the Tracking MINIX 3 (http://
    > www.minix3.org/tracking-current.html). But I still have some
    > questions.

    > What are the files in src/commands/? Are they a prerequisite part of
    > Minix?

    Yes, a lot of them are integral to proper operation, such as sh,
    add_route, chmod, chmem, chown, chroot, all kinds of stuff you need to
    control your system. However, there is usually no need to recompile them
    unless you change something to one of them, because they are already
    available in compiled form on an installed system.

    > If I make a little modification on source code, like on mfs, and I
    > want to generate the image, what command should I run? I run minix on
    > qemu, so I donot want to compile the files not prerequisite to the OS.
    > If I run 'make world', I have to wait a long time.

    Try "make hdboot" in /usr/src/tools to recompile kernel and system
    services and install a new boot image. Sometimes this won't work
    perfectly, then try "make fresh hdboot". You can also analyze the
    Makefile in /usr/src/tools, it is fairly well documented.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: about the compile minix3

    It's a little strange that the user applications, such as chmod, cp,
    mv, are integrated in OS.

    I will analyze the makefiles to get more details. Thanks very much for
    your guide.

    Thanks,
    Wu

    On Jun 6, 5:47 pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > wubingzheng wrote:
    > > Hi men,
    > > I want to compile minix3, and I have read the Tracking MINIX 3 (http://
    > >www.minix3.org/tracking-current.html). But I still have some
    > > questions.
    > > What are the files in src/commands/? Are they a prerequisite part of
    > > Minix?

    > Yes, a lot of them are integral to proper operation, such as sh,
    > add_route, chmod, chmem, chown, chroot, all kinds of stuff you need to
    > control your system. However, there is usually no need to recompile them
    > unless you change something to one of them, because they are already
    > available in compiled form on an installed system.
    >
    > > If I make a little modification on source code, like on mfs, and I
    > > want to generate the image, what command should I run? I run minix on
    > > qemu, so I donot want to compile the files not prerequisite to the OS.
    > > If I run 'make world', I have to wait a long time.

    > Try "make hdboot" in /usr/src/tools to recompile kernel and system
    > services and install a new boot image. Sometimes this won't work
    > perfectly, then try "make fresh hdboot". You can also analyze the
    > Makefile in /usr/src/tools, it is fairly well documented.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

  4. Re: about the compile minix3

    wubingzheng wrote:

    > It's a little strange that the user applications, such as chmod, cp,
    > mv, are integrated in OS.

    Actually, it's not. We human beings interface awfully bad with kernels.
    Without these applications, you would have a perfectly operating, but
    utterly useless (to you) operating system.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  5. Re: about the compile minix3

    Try "make hdboot" in /usr/src/tools to recompile kernel and system
    services and install a new boot image. Sometimes this won't work
    perfectly, then try "make fresh hdboot". You can also analyze the
    Makefile in /usr/src/tools, it is fairly well documented.

    Sorry this command not accepted in minix "make fresh hdboo"

+ Reply to Thread