Erik van der Kouwe wrote:
>> > Do you have a DHCP server on your network and does it know about
>> > your Minix box?
>> >

>> I dont really have a DHCP server...I have a DSL router and a switch
>> with 8 computers connected (4 directly to the DSL router) and another
>> 4 connected to the switch.

> Your router probably works as a DHCP server. Most do. Otherwise your
> other computers would only work if they have static IP addresses
> configured.

IIRC Windows will just pick an IP-address in a predefined range and
subnet if it is configured for DHCP but cannot find a server. This
way a network with all Windows machines and no DHCP will still
function (most of the times).

Jens de Smit
Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam |
-- Stewart Dean