install minix3 on qemu - Minix

This is a discussion on install minix3 on qemu - Minix ; Hi men, I have installed minix3 on Qemu, but I don't know how to configure it's network.Besides, I am a new guy to network. There are 3 mode of network in Qemu, nic, user, and tap. On internet, I only ...

  1. install minix3 on qemu

    Hi men,

    I have installed minix3 on Qemu, but I don't know how to configure
    it's
    network.Besides, I am a new guy to network.

    There are 3 mode of network in Qemu, nic, user, and tap. On internet,
    only find how to config these modes, but not how these modes work. I
    can
    not understand them. I just guess them, only based on the qemu'
    manual.

    *nic: create a new network card(adapter), you can specify its type,
    like
    lance and rtl8139. This network card connects to the outside world as
    independent computer, it has its own IP, and is none business with the
    host.
    *user: something like NAT.
    *tap: use a virtual card, which is offered by the host. So the host
    must
    support tap and the guest must support the virtual card's type.

    If what I think is right, I tried to run minix3 on my computer, which
    needs DHCP to get an IP(the static ip i asked in another post is
    another
    computer). I tried the nic(specify the card type as rtl8139, which is
    the type that i specified when setup the minix) and user mode, but
    when
    minix boots, it blocks and says:
    eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear
    After getting into minix3, if I try to 'ifconfig -h xxx', it also
    blocks
    and says, 'waiting for device to appear'.

    Would you mind tell me how do you config your minix on Qemu with
    network?

    Thanks,
    Wu

  2. Re: install minix3 on qemu

    wubingzheng wrote:
    > Hi men,

    > I have installed minix3 on Qemu, but I don't know how to configure
    > it's
    > network.Besides, I am a new guy to network.

    If I recall correctly, you should use the nic option. Which version of
    Minix 3 do you have installed by the way? 3.1.3 contains a small bug for
    which you require a workaround. 3.1.2 should work fine.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: install minix3 on qemu

    > There are 3 mode of network in Qemu, nic, user, and tap. On internet,
    > only find how to config these modes, but not how these modes work. I
    > can
    > not understand them. I just guess them, only based on the qemu'
    > manual.

    "nic" is not a network mode, but rather creates a NIC. For a working
    network configuration you must specify both -nic to create an adapter
    and one of the other options to create the network it connects to.

    "tap" is the most desirable setup, but I never got it to work on
    Windows (it is supposed to be possible together with OpenVPN). "user"
    should work, but it places your VM behind a NAT and in my experience
    reduces functionality on the VM.

    Do not forget to set up the Qemu-specific PCI hack in the boot monitor.
    I don't know the name by heart, but it should tell you during setup
    IIRC.

    If you have a choice I would recommend using VMWare Player. Although
    not free as in freedom, it is free as in beer and in my experience it
    is noticably faster and considerably easier to set up proper
    networking. You can use a text editor to create your VMX file and
    qemu-img to create a virtual disk.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe