floating point exception in qemu - Minix

This is a discussion on floating point exception in qemu - Minix ; Dear all, I was trying to run Minix (ISO downloaded from site) under qemu. When I choose automode in installation it halts saying "Floating point exception core dumped" Whats the reason? In expert mode also, when I go to disk ...

  1. floating point exception in qemu

    Dear all,

    I was trying to run Minix (ISO downloaded from site) under qemu. When I
    choose automode in installation it halts saying
    "Floating point exception core dumped"
    Whats the reason? In expert mode also, when I go to disk partitioning,
    it says the same problem.

    Regards
    --Himanshu

  2. Re: floating point exception in qemu

    On May 22, 7:33 pm, Himanshu Chauhan wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I was trying to run Minix (ISO downloaded from site) under qemu. When I
    > choose automode in installation it halts saying
    > "Floating point exception core dumped"
    > Whats the reason? In expert mode also, when I go to disk partitioning,
    > it says the same problem.
    >
    > Regards
    > --Himanshu

    Hi,

    First of all, I am a new guy to both minix and qemu. I just used qemu
    to run minix3 today. So i can't help you. but I run minix3 under qemu
    sucessfully at first time. So I think it must be your problem but not
    minix3's or qemu's.
    Maybe you'd better put all the arguments of qemu here, which must be
    helpful for others to find the problem.

    Good luck
    Wu

  3. Re: floating point exception in qemu

    On May 22, 7:33*am, Himanshu Chauhan wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I was trying to run Minix (ISO downloaded from site) under qemu. When I
    > choose automode in installation it halts saying
    > "Floating point exception core dumped"
    > Whats the reason? In expert mode also, when I go to disk partitioning,
    > it says the same problem.

    Himanshu,

    You might try a newer version of Minix. I ran into the same problem
    running Minix 3.1.0 under QEMU. I know 3.1.3a works, and I believe
    that 3.1.2a also works (if memory serves).

    Arun

  4. Re: floating point exception in qemu

    On May 24, 7:13 pm, Arun wrote:
    > On May 22, 7:33 am, Himanshu Chauhan wrote:
    >
    > > Dear all,

    > > I was trying to run Minix (ISO downloaded from site) under qemu. When I
    > > choose automode in installation it halts saying
    > > "Floating point exception core dumped"
    > > Whats the reason? In expert mode also, when I go to disk partitioning,
    > > it says the same problem.

    > Himanshu,
    >
    > You might try a newer version of Minix. I ran into the same problem
    > running Minix 3.1.0 under QEMU. I know 3.1.3a works, and I believe
    > that 3.1.2a also works (if memory serves).

    Hi Arun,

    I was trying 3.1.2a. I think its problem with qemu running on a dual
    core machine with Linux. I will try it on my other machine.

    Regards
    --Himanshu

  5. Re: floating point exception in qemu

    On May 25, 2:20*am, Himanshu wrote:
    > On May 24, 7:13 pm, Arun wrote:
    >
    > > On May 22, 7:33 am, Himanshu Chauhan wrote:

    > > > Dear all,

    > > > I was trying to run Minix (ISO downloaded from site) under qemu. When I
    > > > choose automode in installation it halts saying
    > > > "Floating point exception core dumped"
    > > > Whats the reason? In expert mode also, when I go to disk partitioning,
    > > > it says the same problem.

    > > Himanshu,

    > > You might try a newer version of Minix. I ran into the same problem
    > > running Minix 3.1.0 under QEMU. I know 3.1.3a works, and I believe
    > > that 3.1.2a also works (if memory serves).

    > Hi Arun,
    >
    > I was trying 3.1.2a. I think its problem with qemu running on a dual
    > core machine with Linux. I will try it on my other machine.
    >
    > Regards
    > --Himanshu

    You might give 3.1.3a a try. I'm running QEMU on a dual-core linux
    machine too. You could also try creating smaller partitions. I think
    the bug had to do with the partition tool choking on some partition
    sizes. That's what I remember anyway.

    I hope that helps.

    Arun

+ Reply to Thread