Minix development on Bochs VM - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix development on Bochs VM - Minix ; Hi, I am a developer trying to play around with Minix, OS development process is new to me, I am mainly a Web developer, but enthusiast on OS topics. I have installed Minix .204 on Bochs Virtual Machine 236. That ...

  1. Minix development on Bochs VM

    Hi,
    I am a developer trying to play around with Minix, OS development
    process is new to me,
    I am mainly a Web developer, but enthusiast on OS topics.

    I have installed Minix .204 on Bochs Virtual Machine 236. That I found
    very usefull, for development process,

    I would like to know from veteran OS programmers, what is the best
    process of development/debug of Minix OS code ?

    I am currently logging as bin and using VI inside Minix to edit the
    kernel and then I do a make hdboot and reboot pointing to the new
    compilation.

    Is this the most efficient process ? Can someone point some other
    usefull tools , editors, to speed up and optimize the process ?
    Cause in my opinion using VI is a little cumbersome...

    Regards,
    Guilherme Becker

  2. Re: Minix development on Bochs VM

    athomGBL wrote:

    > Is this the most efficient process ? Can someone point some other
    > usefull tools , editors, to speed up and optimize the process ?
    > Cause in my opinion using VI is a little cumbersome...

    Hello,

    Do you dislike vi because you prefere EMACS style editors or because you
    are used to Vim? Either way, I can strongly advise you to install Minix
    3.1.2 (available from www.minix3.org) because it is the latest stable
    release of Minix. It supports a wider range of software packages (among
    which Vim) and is actively being developed. Minix 2 is discontinued (if
    I'm correct). If you're going to install it in Qemu, there's some extra
    stuff you'll need to do to get networking going, but help is available on
    this forum to get that off the ground. Good luck!

    Regards,

    Jens de Smit

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Minix development on Bochs VM

    On May 21, 10:29*pm, athomGBL wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am a developer trying to play around with Minix, OS development
    > process is new to me,
    > I am mainly a Web developer, but enthusiast on OS topics.
    >
    > I have installed Minix .204 on Bochs Virtual Machine 236. That I found
    > very usefull, for development process,
    >
    > I would like to know from veteran OS programmers, what is the best
    > process of development/debug of Minix OS code ?
    >
    > I am currently logging as bin and using VI inside Minix to edit the
    > kernel and then I do a make hdboot and reboot pointing to the new
    > compilation.
    >
    > Is this the most efficient process ? Can someone point some other
    > usefull tools , editors, to speed up and optimize the process ?
    > Cause in my opinion using VI is a little cumbersome...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Guilherme Becker

    Hi, Becker

    I received your email and as it's the same message you posted above,
    I'm gonna reply it here that I hope you don't mind ;-)

    Jens de Smit is right. I believe you are better of moving to MINIX3.
    Because it's the new stable version and it's under active development
    (which is also rapidly evolving). You can also get better support here
    if you use the latest version. PS: MINIX3 is actually not just a
    regular revised version of MINIX2. According to the official text
    book, although MINIX3 is loosely based on MINIX2, it is fundamentally
    different in many key ways. Therefore, if you use MINIX2, most of us
    here might not be able to help because lots of us never used MINIX2 or
    read MINIX2 source code.

    And speaking of the most efficient way to use/develop MINIX, I'd like
    to say I don't really know because I am not an experienced MINIX
    developer. I just use emacs under MINIX to read and edit source code
    for minor modifications. If I wanna analyze more complex stuff or make
    big change to the source code, I will use lots of other available
    tools under a mainstream Linux distribution and just switch back to
    MINIX when I need to compile the source code and try the newly builded
    stuff. I installed MINIX3 on a virtual machine and set up the FTP
    service within MINIX3 so that I could easily exchange files between
    MINIX3 and the host system.

    I hope I followed your questions.

    Best regards,

  4. Re: Minix development on Bochs VM

    On 21 maio, 12:01, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > athomGBL wrote:
    >

    > > Is this the most efficient process ? Can someone point some other
    > > usefull tools , editors, to speed up and optimize the process ?
    > > Cause in my opinion using VI is a little cumbersome...

    > Hello,
    >
    > Do you dislike vi because you prefere EMACS style editors or because you
    > are used to Vim? Either way, I can strongly advise you to install Minix
    > 3.1.2 (available fromwww.minix3.org) because it is the latest stable
    > release of Minix. It supports a wider range of software packages (among
    > which Vim) and is actively being developed. Minix 2 is discontinued (if
    > I'm correct). If you're going to install it in Qemu, there's some extra
    > stuff you'll need to do to get networking going, but help is available on
    > this forum to get that off the ground. Good luck!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens de Smit
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    Hi,
    thanks for the reply,

    Well, actually I was trying to find a way to code on an IDE on my
    local OS,
    copy the text, and then paste it into Bochs running Minix inside,
    rather than use VI or VIM, but that I still not found if possible or
    not (more of a Bochs aspect though).

    I saw some nice debug features on Bochs, but is there any step-by-step
    Debug feature used on any of these VMs to debug minix kernel code ?
    That would be a cool thing

    Regards

  5. Re: Minix development on Bochs VM

    On 21 maio, 13:26, athomGBL wrote:
    > On 21 maio, 12:01, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    >

    > > athomGBL wrote:

    > > > Is this the most efficient process ? Can someone point some other
    > > > usefull tools , editors, to speed up and optimize the process ?
    > > > Cause in my opinion using VI is a little cumbersome...

    > > Hello,

    > > Do you dislike vi because you prefere EMACS style editors or because you
    > > are used to Vim? Either way, I can strongly advise you to install Minix
    > > 3.1.2 (available fromwww.minix3.org) because it is the latest stable
    > > release of Minix. It supports a wider range of software packages (among
    > > which Vim) and is actively being developed. Minix 2 is discontinued (if
    > > I'm correct). If you're going to install it in Qemu, there's some extra
    > > stuff you'll need to do to get networking going, but help is available on
    > > this forum to get that off the ground. Good luck!

    > > Regards,

    > > Jens de Smit

    > > --
    > > Jens de Smit
    > > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > > -- Stewart Dean

    > Hi,
    > *thanks for the reply,
    >
    > Well, actually I was trying to find a way to code on an IDE on my
    > local OS,
    > copy the text, and then paste it into Bochs running Minix inside,
    > rather than use VI or VIM, but that I still not found if possible or
    > not (more of a Bochs aspect though).
    >
    > I saw some nice debug features on Bochs, but is there any step-by-step
    > Debug feature used on any of these VMs to debug minix kernel code ?
    > That would be a cool thing
    >
    > Regards- Ocultar texto entre aspas -
    >
    > - Mostrar texto entre aspas -

    Hello Sean,

    I think IŽll stick with Minix3 latest,
    well that is an intersting point there, on using a linux machine to
    FTP src files up,

    I found the VM approach very nice, cause it can be like a 'safe
    sandbox', where if you make a mistake, the local OS will prevent
    critical damage, like corrupting data, etc...

    thanks for the clarification
    Guilherme Becker

+ Reply to Thread