minix3 install - Minix

This is a discussion on minix3 install - Minix ; Hi, men I just install minix3 on my computer. There are 2 problems. I have had a try but not enough to fix them. 1. networks I want to connect to the net on Minix3. Minix3 runs dhcp at booting, ...

  1. minix3 install

    Hi, men

    I just install minix3 on my computer. There are 2 problems. I have had
    a try but not enough to fix them.

    1. networks
    I want to connect to the net on Minix3. Minix3 runs dhcp at booting,
    but I need to set a static ip-address here. Anyone know how to set it?
    ifconfig or something else?

    2. boot
    There is another OS, Ubuntu, in my computer. Now, the way I boot minix
    is that, insert the minix-CD, power on the computer, get into minix on
    CD, log as root, shutdown, boot d0p2(where I installed the minix) to
    get into minix on hard disk.
    I want to add minix into the grub list. But it's seems that minix
    takes 3 patitions, but grub can only detect one. For details:

    I don't know minix well, so what I say below maybe prolix:

    I installed Ubuntu on the first and second patitions.
    Then I installed minix on the third patition.

    The result of 'fdisk -l' in linux:
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 5714 45897673+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 * 5715 6747 8297572+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 6748 7001 2040255 81 Minix / old
    Linux

    But in /dev, there are(The result of 'ls sda*' in linux) :
    sda sda1 sda2 sda3 sda5 sda6 sda7

    I can mount sda5, sda6, sda7 as type of 'minix'.

    But in grub, in command mode, when I type 'root (hd,', then type Tab,
    it saysnot exactly)
    (hd0,1) ext3 0x83
    (hd0,2) ext3 0x83
    (hd0,3) unknow file system 0x81

    Wish what I described is clear.

    Thanks in advance.

    Wu Bingzheng

  2. Re: minix3 install

    On May 21, 9:05*pm, wubingzheng wrote:
    > Hi, men
    >
    > I just install minix3 on my computer. There are 2 problems. I have had
    > a try but not enough to fix them.

    Dear Wu,

    It's glad to see you here. I got to know to through the Google Summer
    of Code.

    Well, as you've installed MINIX3 on a raw machine. I do not think it's
    neither comfortable nor convient for you to do any development. I
    strongly suggest you to use some virtual machine :-)

    > 1. networks
    > I want to connect to the net on Minix3. Minix3 runs dhcp at booting,
    > but I need to set a static ip-address here. Anyone know how to set it?
    > ifconfig or something else?

    You can use "ifconfig". It's even easier than using it on a Linux box
    because it's a simplified version.

    > 2. boot
    > There is another OS, Ubuntu, in my computer. Now, the way I boot minix
    > is that, insert the minix-CD, power on the computer, get into minix on
    > CD, log as root, shutdown, boot d0p2(where I installed the minix) to
    > get into minix on hard disk.
    > I want to add minix into the grub list. But it's seems that minix
    > takes 3 patitions, but grub can only detect one. For details:
    >
    > I don't know minix well, so what I say below maybe prolix:
    >
    > I installed Ubuntu on the first and second patitions.
    > Then I installed minix on the third patition.
    >
    > The result of 'fdisk -l' in linux:
    > * *Device Boot * * *Start * * * * End * * *Blocks * Id *System
    > /dev/sda1 * * * * * * * 1 * * * *5714 * *45897673+ *83 *Linux
    > /dev/sda2 * * * * * *5715 * * * *6747 * * 8297572+ *83 *Linux
    > /dev/sda3 * * * * * *6748 * * * *7001 * * 2040255 * 81 *Minix / old
    > Linux
    >
    > But in /dev, there are(The result of 'ls sda*' in linux) :
    > *sda *sda1 *sda2 *sda3 *sda5 *sda6 *sda7
    >
    > I can mount sda5, sda6, sda7 as type of 'minix'.
    >
    > But in grub, in command mode, when I type 'root (hd,', then type Tab,
    > it saysnot exactly)
    > (hd0,1) *ext3 *0x83
    > (hd0,2) *ext3 *0x83
    > (hd0,3) *unknow file system *0x81
    >
    > Wish what I described is clear.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Wu Bingzheng

    If you're using GRUB, you can easily modify the configuration file at
    "/boot/grub/menu.lst ". In fact, it's the menu list config file of
    GRUB. The wiki page on the official website has already had this
    concise guide. You just need to add the following lines to "menu.lst".

    1. title Minix
    2. rootnoverify (hdX,X) # (hdX,X) is the disk and partition where you
    install Minix
    3. chainloader +1 # tells GRUB this is another boot loader
    4. boot # go, go, go

    BTW, "d0p2" is used by MINIX3. It's not the right argument for GRUB.
    The MINIX3 partition name on your hard disk is probably "hd0,3" since
    you said it showed "(hd0,3) unknow file system 0x81" when you type
    the command in GRUB.

    I hope it can help.

    PS: I'm a Chinese guy too.

    Best regards,

  3. Re: minix3 install

    Hi Sean Bray,

    I am so glad to know you are Chinese! Would you mind talk via gtalk?
    can we talk in Chinese here?

    Thanks for the grub. It works now! I just learned grub today, and
    added minix like : root kernel boot, like linux. I didn't know minix
    is so different. For the network, I will try it tomorrow.

    My mentor advices me to install minix on raw machine. Because I have
    to do much efficiency test. Besides, I also prefer to run an OS on raw
    machine, which helps you to learn it quickly. Maybe it's also
    necessary to install one on virtual machine, because of the
    development. In fact, I have tried to install minix3 on VMware, but
    failed, which is talk at: http://groups.google.com/group/comp....085fff7afc61c9.
    I also downloaded the pre-install minix in vmware from the minix3.org.
    It works well.

    Thanks
    Wu
    (may be you should call me Bingzheng

  4. Re: minix3 install

    wubingzheng wrote:
    > The result of 'fdisk -l' in linux:
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/sda1 1 5714 45897673+ 83 Linux
    > /dev/sda2 * 5715 6747 8297572+ 83 Linux
    > /dev/sda3 6748 7001 2040255 81 Minix / old
    > Linux

    > But in /dev, there are(The result of 'ls sda*' in linux) :
    > sda sda1 sda2 sda3 sda5 sda6 sda7

    > I can mount sda5, sda6, sda7 as type of 'minix'.

    Minix creates 3 subpartitions inside one of the primary partitions of the
    hard disk. Because Linux is aware of the Minix file system (it was the
    original file system for Minix before EXT was developed), it recognizes
    these subpartitions and created the /dev/sda5, /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7
    files for you to mount. However, GRUB is not as sophisticated and does not
    recognize the Minix subpartitions, only the root partition. Hope this
    clarifies something

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  5. Re: minix3 install

    On May 21, 10:55 pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > wubingzheng wrote:
    > > The result of 'fdisk -l' in linux:
    > > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > > /dev/sda1 1 5714 45897673+ 83 Linux
    > > /dev/sda2 * 5715 6747 8297572+ 83 Linux
    > > /dev/sda3 6748 7001 2040255 81 Minix / old
    > > Linux
    > > But in /dev, there are(The result of 'ls sda*' in linux) :
    > > sda sda1 sda2 sda3 sda5 sda6 sda7
    > > I can mount sda5, sda6, sda7 as type of 'minix'.

    > Minix creates 3 subpartitions inside one of the primary partitions of the
    > hard disk. Because Linux is aware of the Minix file system (it was the
    > original file system for Minix before EXT was developed), it recognizes
    > these subpartitions and created the /dev/sda5, /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7
    > files for you to mount. However, GRUB is not as sophisticated and does not
    > recognize the Minix subpartitions, only the root partition. Hope this
    > clarifies something
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    Hi Jens,

    Thanks very much. It did make me know some about the minix's
    patitions.
    Would you mind give me a further explanation? What're the 3 patitions?
    During the installation, minix only ask me to appoint the size of /
    home.
    So there should be 2 sub patitions, / and /home. What's the 3rd one?

    Thanks,
    Wu

  6. Re: minix3 install

    On May 21, 10:15*pm, wubingzheng wrote:
    > Hi Sean Bray,
    >
    > I am so glad to know you are Chinese! Would you mind talk via gtalk?
    > can we talk in Chinese here?
    >
    > Thanks for the grub. It works now! I just learned grub today, and
    > added minix like : root kernel boot, like linux. I didn't know minix
    > is so different. For the network, I will try it tomorrow.
    >
    > My mentor advices me to install minix on raw machine. Because I have
    > to do much efficiency test. Besides, I also prefer to run an OS on raw
    > machine, which helps you to learn it quickly. Maybe it's also
    > necessary to install one on virtual machine, because of the
    > development. In fact, I have tried to install minix3 on VMware, but
    > failed, which is talk at:http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ead/thread/550....
    > I also downloaded the pre-install minix in vmware from the minix3.org.
    > It works well.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Wu
    > (may be you should call me Bingzheng

    Hi, Bingzheng

    I guess we should always use English when we talk about technology
    stuff, for it's the de facto official language globally.

    My GTalk account name is weichaoliu *AT* gmail *DOT* com. But I don't
    really use instant messengers to discuss stuff. Because news groups or
    forums are much more flexible that we can leisurely reply messages
    when we have time so that I prefer this way.

    Speaking of VMware, I'd like to use it under MS-Windows and there's no
    problem if you install MINIX3 with VMware under Windows. And you can
    also use QEMU under some Linux distribution. I downloaded it from the
    official French website and installed it under SUSE Linux 10.3
    successfully. Jorrit Herder also uses QEMU. If you wanna download
    QEMU, here is the hint. You might not be able to access the official
    French website of QEMU directly from China because it seems they're
    blocking all the IPs from China and I have no idea why... But you can
    browse it through an online proxy website.

    I totally understand your mentor's opinion. It's actually more
    practical to install and test it on a raw machine. But I was not
    saying install it on a virtual machine (VM) for that purpose. I meant
    you could read the source code, write things, debug programs and do
    all the other R&D stuff simultaneously when you are running MINIX3 on
    a VM. And also, the tools under MINIX3 like emacs are not as powerful
    as the ones on a Linux box. I guess you know what I mean :-)

    Besides, using the pre-installed MINIX3 is a good choice. You can
    install all the other packages with source code when you are in MINIX.
    It's just an easy command and you just need to insert the MINIX3 CD or
    load the iso file of that disk if you wanna add any other
    applications.

    Best regards,

  7. Re: minix3 install

    On 5月21日, 下午11时34分, Sean Bray wrote:
    > On May 21, 10:15 pm, wubingzheng wrote:
    >

    > > Hi Sean Bray,

    > > I am so glad to know you are Chinese! Would you mind talk via gtalk?
    > > can we talk in Chinese here?

    > > Thanks for the grub. It works now! I just learned grub today, and
    > > added minix like : root kernel boot, like linux. I didn't know minix
    > > is so different. For the network, I will try it tomorrow.

    > > My mentor advices me to install minix on raw machine. Because I have
    > > to do much efficiency test. Besides, I also prefer to run an OS on raw
    > > machine, which helps you to learn it quickly. Maybe it's also
    > > necessary to install one on virtual machine, because of the
    > > development. In fact, I have tried to install minix3 on VMware, but
    > > failed, which is talk at:http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ead/thread/550....
    > > I also downloaded the pre-install minix in vmware from the minix3.org.
    > > It works well.

    > > Thanks
    > > Wu
    > > (may be you should call me Bingzheng

    > Hi, Bingzheng
    >
    > I guess we should always use English when we talk about technology
    > stuff, for it's the de facto official language globally.
    >
    > My GTalk account name is weichaoliu *AT* gmail *DOT* com. But I don't
    > really use instant messengers to discuss stuff. Because news groups or
    > forums are much more flexible that we can leisurely reply messages
    > when we have time so that I prefer this way.
    >
    > Speaking of VMware, I'd like to use it under MS-Windows and there's no
    > problem if you install MINIX3 with VMware under Windows. And you can
    > also use QEMU under some Linux distribution. I downloaded it from the
    > official French website and installed it under SUSE Linux 10.3
    > successfully. Jorrit Herder also uses QEMU. If you wanna download
    > QEMU, here is the hint. You might not be able to access the official
    > French website of QEMU directly from China because it seems they're
    > blocking all the IPs from China and I have no idea why... But you can
    > browse it through an online proxy website.
    >
    > I totally understand your mentor's opinion. It's actually more
    > practical to install and test it on a raw machine. But I was not
    > saying install it on a virtual machine (VM) for that purpose. I meant
    > you could read the source code, write things, debug programs and do
    > all the other R&D stuff simultaneously when you are running MINIX3 on
    > a VM. And also, the tools under MINIX3 like emacs are not as powerful
    > as the ones on a Linux box. I guess you know what I mean :-)
    >
    > Besides, using the pre-installed MINIX3 is a good choice. You can
    > install all the other packages with source code when you are in MINIX.
    > It's just an easy command and you just need to insert the MINIX3 CD or
    > load the iso file of that disk if you wanna add any other
    > applications.
    >
    > Best regards,

    Hi, Sean Bray

    Thanks for the advices. I will try to install minix on virtual machine
    and raw one both, before the GSoC begins. I am trying the QEMU. I
    found it from Ubuntu's source, it's very convenience to install it.

    I fix minix's network by ifconfig just now. It's really simple. I can
    ping other hosts in the same sub-net, but not the out ones. I think it
    must be the gateway. But I don't know how to set the gateway yet. Can
    you help me?

    Thanks,
    Wu

  8. Re: minix3 install

    wubingzheng wrote:

    > I fix minix's network by ifconfig just now. It's really simple. I can
    > ping other hosts in the same sub-net, but not the out ones. I think it
    > must be the gateway. But I don't know how to set the gateway yet. Can
    > you help me?

    Hey Wu,

    From the top of my head:

    route add default gateway

    Otherwise, try 'man route' to read route's documentation.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  9. Re: minix3 install

    wubingzheng wrote:
    > Thanks very much. It did make me know some about the minix's
    > patitions.
    > Would you mind give me a further explanation? What're the 3 patitions?
    > During the installation, minix only ask me to appoint the size of /
    > home.
    > So there should be 2 sub patitions, / and /home. What's the 3rd one?

    I thought they were /, /home and /usr, but I'm not entirely sure right
    now. I'll look into it when I got my hands on a Minix machine.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  10. Re: minix3 install

    On 5月22日, 下午6时31分, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > wubingzheng wrote:
    > > Thanks very much. It did make me know some about the minix's
    > > patitions.
    > > Would you mind give me a further explanation? What're the 3 patitions?
    > > During the installation, minix only ask me to appoint the size of /
    > > home.
    > > So there should be 2 sub patitions, / and /home. What's the 3rd one?

    > I thought they were /, /home and /usr, but I'm not entirely sure right
    > now. I'll look into it when I got my hands on a Minix machine.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    Hi Jens,

    Thanks, I just got to know that. They are /, /home and /usr. Thanks
    very much.

    Besides, I have resolved the gateway also, thank to Sean's help. It's
    'add_route'.

    Thanks,
    Wu

+ Reply to Thread