booting with usb flash - Minix

This is a discussion on booting with usb flash - Minix ; I have a 2 GB flash drive and I wish to boot and run minix from that. So what I don't think I want is an iso but a copy of the os. How do you use a flashdrive? Bill...

  1. booting with usb flash

    I have a 2 GB flash drive and I wish to boot and run minix from that. So
    what I don't think I want is an iso but a copy of the os. How do you use a
    flashdrive?

    Bill

  2. Re: booting with usb flash

    Bill Cunningham wrote:
    > I have a 2 GB flash drive and I wish to boot and run minix from that. So
    > what I don't think I want is an iso but a copy of the os. How do you use a
    > flashdrive?

    The easiest way to boot from a flash drive is to download the special USB
    stick image from the Minix 3 website and use the instructions there to
    write it to the USB stick. Enable USB boot in your BIOS and you're good to
    go.

    Doing it any other way probably means you will have to manually make the
    USB stick bootable and write a Minix file system to the device by hand.
    Minix does not support any other file system than the Minix file system at
    the moment and most other OS'es don't support the Minix file system, so
    writing a Minix file system to an USB drive conventionally will probably
    be a huge pain.

    Good luck,

    Jens

    --