newbee in MINIX & UNIX - Minix

This is a discussion on newbee in MINIX & UNIX - Minix ; In the name of God. Hello to all, I have been only a user of Windows until now, and I haven't worked with LINUX or any UNIX-like program, but I am interested in OPEN SOURCE movement. I 'm also interested ...

  1. newbee in MINIX & UNIX

    In the name of God.

    Hello to all,
    I have been only a user of Windows until now,
    and I haven't worked with LINUX or any UNIX-like program,
    but I am interested in OPEN SOURCE movement.
    I 'm also interested in designing operating systems and like to learn
    how,
    but I am in the first steps.

    I saw and bought the "Operating systems: design and implementation 3rd
    ed."
    and I have installed MINIX 3.1.0 now.

    I have learned some shell commands like: cd, cp, rm, vi, ... from a
    book on LINUX.
    I am studying to understand the source code (I now studying
    microprocessors manual).
    I also wanted to download & install some packages from MINIX 3 sit,
    I " bunzip2 "ed and " tar -xvf "ed them but
    I couldn't install them;

    I did some searches on comp.os.minix with the words like:
    "install" ,
    "install package" , ... ,but I couldn't fined any obvious method
    about
    " installing packages on minix 3 "
    ( This version doesn't have "packman" )
    ( " sh build.minix " didn't worked and "gmake" didn't exist)

    MINIX 3 is an Operating System and if it wants to be practical, it
    must have a straight & standard
    algorithm for installing at least standard packages on it,
    unless, it won't become usable so much.

    1.I am confused, It isn't there, really, any standard methodes or lows
    for installation ?
    I 've find out that each package to install on each version of
    MINIX,
    has it's own instructions.

    2.Also, I don't know so much about /bin, /usr/bin, ...dir.s
    philosophy,
    e.g. use of them ?
    why they are there ?
    where one can add dir.s ?
    Is there a special directory for packages to be installed ?
    etc.

    thank you for your help.

  2. Re: newbee in MINIX & UNIX

    Hi,

    I could really recommend to download and install a newer version of MINIX,
    for multiple reasons:

    - 3.1.2 and up have support for packman

    - some system design since 3.1.0 has been changed. Although this makes
    newer versions less compatible with the book (but only slightly so), it is
    important to keep up-to-date if you want to _do_ something with MINIX.
    Alos, most people in this group use either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, so help for
    those versions is much more available.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: newbee in MINIX & UNIX

    Dear newbie,

    > I have been only a user of Windows until now,
    > and I haven't worked with LINUX or any UNIX-like program,
    > but I am interested in OPEN SOURCE movement.
    > I 'm also interested in designing operating systems and like to learn
    > how,
    > but I am in the first steps.

    First of all, welcome to our community!

    If you have not programmed in POSIX systems (such as Minix and Linux)
    before I would recommend that you study this aspect first. It is very
    useful to understand this API first if you want to understand the
    system that implements it (i.e. the operating system). If you have
    accessed the Win32 API directly before that may help; the functionality
    is essentially the same, although the interface is much different (most
    would say that POSIX is more elegant, and it is certainly more
    portable). Just try implementing some simple programs using the POSIX
    API; it might be a good first step to understanding the system as a
    whole.

    > I saw and bought the "Operating systems: design and implementation 3rd
    > ed."
    > and I have installed MINIX 3.1.0 now.

    As Jens mentioned, it is very recommendable to install 3.1.2a. It is a
    considerable improvement over 3.1.0. I would NOT recommend installing
    3.1.3 or using the current SVN source unless you have very good reason
    to.

    > ( This version doesn't have "packman" )
    > ( " sh build.minix " didn't worked and "gmake" didn't exist)
    >
    > 1.I am confused, It isn't there, really, any standard methodes or lows
    > for installation ?
    > I 've find out that each package to install on each version of
    > MINIX,
    > has it's own instructions.

    As Jens said, version 3.1.2a does have packman.

    You can use that to install gmake if you need it, and it will be in
    /usr/gnu/bin, like the rest of GCC and it's utilities.

    > 2.Also, I don't know so much about /bin, /usr/bin, ...dir.s
    > philosophy,
    > e.g. use of them ?
    > why they are there ?
    > where one can add dir.s ?
    > Is there a special directory for packages to be installed ?
    > etc.

    The directory structure is mostly shared between all POSIX systems. You
    can find more information here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesys...archy_Standard

    It is especially important to note that in Minix, /usr and /home are
    separate partitions. The rest is stored in root (/), which is very
    small (16 MB IIRC). This means you must store all large files in either
    /usr or /home. If you fill up the root partition, Minix may no longer
    boot.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  4. Re: newbee in MINIX & UNIX

    On May 14, 5:53 pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I could really recommend to download and install a newer version of MINIX,
    > for multiple reasons:
    >
    > - 3.1.2 and up have support for packman
    >
    > - some system design since 3.1.0 has been changed. Although this makes
    > newer versions less compatible with the book (but only slightly so), it is
    > important to keep up-to-date if you want to _do_ something with MINIX.
    > Alos, most people in this group use either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, so help for
    > those versions is much more available.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    Tank you for the advice.

  5. Re: newbee in MINIX & UNIX

    On May 14, 10:14 pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > Dear newbie,
    >
    > > I have been only a user of Windows until now,
    > > and I haven't worked with LINUX or any UNIX-like program,
    > > but I am interested in OPEN SOURCE movement.
    > > I 'm also interested in designing operating systems and like to learn
    > > how,
    > > but I am in the first steps.

    > First of all, welcome to our community!
    >
    > If you have not programmed in POSIX systems (such as Minix and Linux)
    > before I would recommend that you study this aspect first. It is very
    > useful to understand this API first if you want to understand the
    > system that implements it (i.e. the operating system). If you have
    > accessed the Win32 API directly before that may help; the functionality
    > is essentially the same, although the interface is much different (most
    > would say that POSIX is more elegant, and it is certainly more
    > portable). Just try implementing some simple programs using the POSIX
    > API; it might be a good first step to understanding the system as a
    > whole.
    >
    > > I saw and bought the "Operating systems: design and implementation 3rd
    > > ed."
    > > and I have installed MINIX 3.1.0 now.

    > As Jens mentioned, it is very recommendable to install 3.1.2a. It is a
    > considerable improvement over 3.1.0. I would NOT recommend installing
    > 3.1.3 or using the current SVN source unless you have very good reason
    > to.
    >
    > > ( This version doesn't have "packman" )
    > > ( " sh build.minix " didn't worked and "gmake" didn't exist)

    > > 1.I am confused, It isn't there, really, any standard methodes or lows
    > > for installation ?
    > > I 've find out that each package to install on each version of
    > > MINIX,
    > > has it's own instructions.

    > As Jens said, version 3.1.2a does have packman.
    >
    > You can use that to install gmake if you need it, and it will be in
    > /usr/gnu/bin, like the rest of GCC and it's utilities.
    >
    > > 2.Also, I don't know so much about /bin, /usr/bin, ...dir.s
    > > philosophy,
    > > e.g. use of them ?
    > > why they are there ?
    > > where one can add dir.s ?
    > > Is there a special directory for packages to be installed ?
    > > etc.

    > The directory structure is mostly shared between all POSIX systems. You
    > can find more information here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesys...archy_Standard
    >
    > It is especially important to note that in Minix, /usr and /home are
    > separate partitions. The rest is stored in root (/), which is very
    > small (16 MB IIRC). This means you must store all large files in either
    > /usr or /home. If you fill up the root partition, Minix may no longer
    > boot.
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

    Thanks for your detailed explanation.

  6. Re: newbee in MINIX & UNIX

    Thank you for your advice, Jens .

    Thanks for your detailed explanation, Eric .

    -
    -

    I had another Q:
    What is the difference between logging in AS "bin", and logging in
    AS "root" ?
    passwords for both are the same ? Why ?

    thanks for your help.

  7. Re: newbee in MINIX & UNIX

    ff22202@gmail.com wrote:

    > I had another Q:
    > What is the difference between logging in AS "bin", and logging in
    > AS "root" ?
    > passwords for both are the same ? Why ?

    The "root" account on Minix and other Unix-like systems is the most
    powerful account available, i.e. it can do anything. It is analogous to
    Windows' "Administrator" account. The "bin" account is a less privileged
    account which can't do everything that root can, but it can do most of
    everyday operations. It exists to protect users from wiping out an entire
    system by making one mistake.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --