Re: Most wanted feature in the Minix3 kernel? - Minix

This is a discussion on Re: Most wanted feature in the Minix3 kernel? - Minix ; Dears All the questions that have been come out are noteworthy and it is important to give them the right priority. Anyway, I think that there is a huge "underlying" community around Minix, that we ignore or simply they prefer ...

  1. Re: Most wanted feature in the Minix3 kernel?

    Dears
    All the questions that have been come out are noteworthy
    and it is important to give them the right priority.
    Anyway, I think that there is a huge "underlying" community
    around Minix, that we ignore or simply they prefer working on their
    own
    by developing a Minix version for fitting their goals.
    Just to a real example, take a look at:

    http://www.cis.syr.edu/%7Ewedu/seed/all_labs.html

    I'm sure that there are other universities involved in Minix
    developing.
    A first step to make Minix a "friendlier" OS, IMVHO, is to contact
    and to propose them to collaborate, share their work.

    Another answer for Alessando, you asked where to find developer guides
    and again at the same university you can get some useful topics, like
    how to add a sys call.

    http://www.cis.syr.edu/%7Ewedu/seed/documents.html

    Moreover I' m a university student, in Naples, who is studying for
    his thesis
    some Minix features and I know that after my degree,
    my thesis will be placed on a shelf to get dust.
    We should avoid this, many people are studying minix
    and a lot of them have already find a solution to
    some problems that other are looking for.

    So if we are able to concentrate our energies and efforts with
    a serious commitment, Minix will grow soon and in a better way.

    After a list of willing people that want to be really involved in this
    ambitious
    and rewarding work I think it's also important to have a coordination
    in order to avoid useless code duplications and fake progresses.
    it is not easy... I know.

  2. Re: Most wanted feature in the Minix3 kernel?

    puntino ha scritto:
    > I'm sure that there are other universities involved in Minix
    > developing.
    > A first step to make Minix a "friendlier" OS, IMVHO, is to contact
    > and to propose them to collaborate, share their work.

    You are right. Monitoring the Net in search for projects based on Minix
    would not be an easy task. Nevertheless, we can kindly ask the people of
    this NewsGroup to let us know about such projects, contact the
    developers and ask for code sharing.

    The Minix license allows the developers to either release the source
    code to the public domain or hold it as closed source code. Hence,
    nobody can actually force the developers to share their code with the
    community. Despite this, most of the code is developed by university
    students that do not have a strong interested in concealing what they
    are able to develop...

    What's missing here is a PR ("Public Representative") of the Minix
    community. Someone who could speak for the community. I think, the only
    possible candidate for this role is Prof. Tanenbaum (or a person
    delegated by him).

    > Another answer for Alessando, you asked where to find developer guides
    > and again at the same university you can get some useful topics, like
    > how to add a sys call.
    >
    > http://www.cis.syr.edu/%7Ewedu/seed/documents.html

    Thanks. I think I will translate some of them into italian.

    > Moreover I' m a university student, in Naples, who is studying for
    > his thesis
    > some Minix features and I know that after my degree,
    > my thesis will be placed on a shelf to get dust.

    Actually, Degree Thesis (in Italy as in most of Europe) are
    public-domain documents by law. Just publish a PDF of your thesis and it
    will be read by someone else. You have the right to do so.

    > After a list of willing people that want to be really involved in this
    > ambitious
    > and rewarding work I think it's also important to have a coordination
    > in order to avoid useless code duplications and fake progresses.
    > it is not easy... I know.

    Right. Actually, Prof Tanenbaum already maintains a page with a list of
    the ongoing projects. Maybe, with the growth of Minix3, it will be
    required a more powerful mechanism.

    CU
    --

    Alessandro Bottoni
    Website: http://www.alessandrobottoni.it/

    "Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    -- Albert Einstein

  3. Re: Most wanted feature in the Minix3 kernel?

    > > After a list of willing people that want to be really involved in this
    > > ambitious
    > > and rewarding work I think it's also important to have a coordination
    > > in order to avoid useless code duplications and fake progresses.
    > > it is not easy... I know.

    > Right. Actually, Prof Tanenbaum already maintains a page with a list of
    > the ongoing projects. Maybe, with the growth of Minix3, it will be
    > required a more powerful mechanism.

    This list already suffers from fake-progresses, just think at the USB
    driver
    and at the Geldermans's new file system: they starved on the list for
    at least one year
    (probably preventing someone else to work on the same project) and
    only recently they were
    evicted from.

    A number of projects are listed here but we really don't know if they
    will ever be completed.
    I suggest that every developer on the list should send a report on a
    4/6 month basis to let us know
    about their progresses.

    I think something like the HelenOS's "recent project" list and the
    "Roadmap page" is
    better way to keep trace about ongoing projects.

    www.helenos.eu

    Maurizio Lombardi

+ Reply to Thread