Minix like OS - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix like OS - Minix ; Hello all. I'm beginner. How to write own Operating system like Minix3 for embedded systems (e.g. cellphone, pda). What should i do first?...

  1. Minix like OS

    Hello all. I'm beginner.
    How to write own Operating system like Minix3 for embedded systems
    (e.g. cellphone, pda). What should i do first?

  2. Re: Minix like OS

    > Hello all. I'm beginner.
    > How to write own Operating system like Minix3 for embedded systems
    > (e.g. cellphone, pda). What should i do first?

    Writing operating systems is not something for beginners, and attaining
    something useful would probably take over a year for someone who is
    more advanced.

    If you have specific needs, you are probably best of modifying an
    existing OS to run on the devices you want to support. In this case
    Minix may be an excellent choice, as it is very small, is
    understandable and has support on embedded systems as a stated goal.

    If despite these remarks you would like to continue building an
    operating system from scratch, make sure you are well acquinted with
    assembly system programming and operating system design. The former you
    will learn using the manual from the CPU vendor for your embedded
    systems (for x86 and x64, for example, the Intel Architecture Software
    Developers Manual can be downloaded; your embedded system will likely
    have a different kind of chip though). The latter can be learned
    (amongst others) from "Operating Systems Design and Implementation" by
    Andy Tanenbaum
    (http://www.pearsonhighered.com/acade...9388,00%2Ben-U
    SS_01DBC.html).

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: Minix like OS

    On May 1, 4:02 am, sharavsam...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all. I'm beginner.
    > How to write own Operating system like Minix3 for embedded systems
    > (e.g. cellphone, pda). What should i do first?

    Sharavsam,

    How is your embedded operating system coming?

    Cheers,
    James

+ Reply to Thread