Error When Installing In VMware - Minix

This is a discussion on Error When Installing In VMware - Minix ; I searched through this group but couldn't find any problem similar to this. Anyone knows, please help me ^_^ I'm trying to install Minix 3.1.2a in VMware Workstation(6.0.3 build-80004) under OpenSUSE 10.3. An error dialog showed up right after I ...

  1. Error When Installing In VMware

    I searched through this group but couldn't find any problem similar to
    this. Anyone knows, please help me ^_^

    I'm trying to install Minix 3.1.2a in VMware Workstation(6.0.3
    build-80004) under OpenSUSE 10.3. An error dialog showed up right
    after I chose "1" -- Regular MINIX3.....

    The VMware did show some regular information at the very beginning of
    the initialization process:
    ================================================== ===================================
    ......... /* Ignored */

    Building process table: pm fs rs ds tty mem log init.
    Physical memory: total 522236 KB, system 5700 KB, free 516536 KB.
    PCI: video memory for device at 0.15.0: 134217728 bytes
    _
    ================================================== ===================================

    The last character appeared was the blinking cursor(underscore). Then
    the error dialog poped up

    Here is the detailed information showed on the dialog box:
    ================================================== ===================================
    VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
    ASSERT /build/mts/release/bora-80004/bora/vmcore/private/
    iospace_shared.h:491 bugNr=64440
    A log file is available in "/home/kevin/vmware/minix3/vmware.log".
    Please request support and include the contents of the log file.
    To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and
    click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script
    in the Workstation folder directly.
    We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
    ================================================== ===================================

    If there is any other information I can provide to make it easier for
    U to help me. Please let me know

    BTW, it's not possible for me to ask the VMware guys through "vm-
    support" directly because I have no $account$ there ;-)

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Error When Installing In VMware

    On Apr 21, 11:57 am, Sean Bray wrote:
    > I searched through this group but couldn't find any problem similar to
    > this. Anyone knows, please help me ^_^
    >
    > I'm trying to install Minix 3.1.2a in VMware Workstation(6.0.3
    > build-80004) under OpenSUSE 10.3. An error dialog showed up right
    > after I chose "1" -- Regular MINIX3.....
    >
    > The VMware did show some regular information at the very beginning of
    > the initialization process:
    > ================================================== ===================================
    > ........ /* Ignored */
    >
    > Building process table: pm fs rs ds tty mem log init.
    > Physical memory: total 522236 KB, system 5700 KB, free 516536 KB.
    > PCI: video memory for device at 0.15.0: 134217728 bytes
    > _
    > ================================================== ===================================
    >
    > The last character appeared was the blinking cursor(underscore). Then
    > the error dialog poped up
    >
    > Here is the detailed information showed on the dialog box:
    > ================================================== ===================================
    > VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
    > ASSERT /build/mts/release/bora-80004/bora/vmcore/private/
    > iospace_shared.h:491 bugNr=64440
    > A log file is available in "/home/kevin/vmware/minix3/vmware.log".
    > Please request support and include the contents of the log file.
    > To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and
    > click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script
    > in the Workstation folder directly.
    > We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
    > ================================================== ===================================
    >
    > If there is any other information I can provide to make it easier for
    > U to help me. Please let me know
    >
    > BTW, it's not possible for me to ask the VMware guys through "vm-
    > support" directly because I have no $account$ there ;-)
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    I think it is a problem related to vmware, I also experienced the same
    problem
    in the end I didn't give up and I started to work with vmplayer +
    virtual machine (available on minix3.org).
    I find the latter a good solution, because you can change some
    settings
    for both Minix and vmware.

  3. Re: Error When Installing In VMware

    Sean Bray wrote:
    > Here is the detailed information showed on the dialog box:
    > ================================================== ===================================
    > VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
    > ASSERT /build/mts/release/bora-80004/bora/vmcore/private/
    > iospace_shared.h:491 bugNr=64440
    > A log file is available in "/home/kevin/vmware/minix3/vmware.log".
    > Please request support and include the contents of the log file.
    > To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and
    > click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script
    > in the Workstation folder directly.
    > We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
    > ================================================== ===================================

    > If there is any other information I can provide to make it easier for
    > U to help me. Please let me know

    Hi,

    It looks like it is a problem with VMWare (note the "bugNr=64440"). Maybe there is some
    VMWare enthusiasts forum where you can ask this question? Alternatively, try QEmu, it
    worked for me. I used a "bleeding-edge" version from http://derelict.cs.vu.nl/images/
    but 3.1.2a should work too.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  4. Re: Error When Installing In VMware

    Thanks puntino!

    I knew it works fine with VMware Player because I tried that too, with
    pre-installed version of minix3.1.2a. But the player is so boring and
    you cannot really control anything. Don't you think so? ^_^

    Hi, Jens de Smit!

    Yep, it seems to be VMware's problem. I wanted to use QEmu. But I
    can't access QEmu's official website here and I'm not sure why. I also
    installed bochs and I'd like to try that too.

    It's really glad that you 2 answered my question.

    I've been thinking about introducing MINIX3 to our robotics community
    here. Though I knew MINIX really long time ago, I never tried to hack
    it. Since MINIX3 is highly modularized and extremely small, I've been
    wondering about the possibility of developing & running MINIX as a
    universal robot OS recently. I guess it's worth a shot ^_^ I'm gonna
    find if there's anybody trying something like this. If you guys know
    about it, please tell me.

    Wishes,
    --
    Sean Bray

  5. Re: Error When Installing In VMware

    Sean Bray wrote:
    > Thanks puntino!

    > I knew it works fine with VMware Player because I tried that too, with
    > pre-installed version of minix3.1.2a. But the player is so boring and
    > you cannot really control anything. Don't you think so? ^_^

    > Hi, Jens de Smit!

    > Yep, it seems to be VMware's problem. I wanted to use QEmu. But I
    > can't access QEmu's official website here and I'm not sure why. I also
    > installed bochs and I'd like to try that too.

    If you do get a chance to use QEmu and hit a snag, I'll be glad to help
    I don't have experience with either VMware or Bochs, but you're free
    to try of course.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  6. Re: Error When Installing In VMware

    Thanks you guys ^_^

    I'm gonna use VMware Player for a little while just as puntino
    suggested ;-)

    Anyway, I've tried VMware, bochs, QEmu and Virtual PC. But I think
    puntino is right. If MINIX is the stuff that I wanted, then any tools
    work fine with it is what I need.

    I'll be here often. Really glad to know you guys!

    Best regards,
    --
    Sean Bray

  7. Re: Error When Installing In VMware

    On Apr 21, 10:57 am, Sean Bray wrote:
    > I searched through this group but couldn't find any problem similar to
    > this. Anyone knows, please help me ^_^
    >
    > I'm trying to install Minix 3.1.2a inVMwareWorkstation(6.0.3
    > build-80004) under OpenSUSE 10.3. An error dialog showed up right
    > after I chose "1" -- Regular MINIX3.....
    >
    > TheVMwaredid show some regular information at the very beginning of
    > the initialization process:
    > ================================================== ===================================
    > ........ /* Ignored */
    >
    > Building process table: pm fs rs ds tty mem log init.
    > Physical memory: total 522236 KB, system 5700 KB, free 516536 KB.
    > PCI: video memory for device at 0.15.0: 134217728 bytes
    > _
    > ================================================== ===================================
    >
    > The last character appeared was the blinking cursor(underscore). Then
    > the error dialog poped up
    >
    > Here is the detailed information showed on the dialog box:
    > ================================================== ===================================VMwareWorkstati on unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
    > ASSERT /build/mts/release/bora-80004/bora/vmcore/private/
    > iospace_shared.h:491 bugNr=64440
    > A log file is available in "/home/kevin/vmware/minix3/vmware.log".
    > Please request support and include the contents of the log file.
    > To collect data to submit toVMwaresupport, select Help > About and
    > click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script
    > in the Workstation folder directly.
    > We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
    > ================================================== ===================================
    >
    > If there is any other information I can provide to make it easier for
    > U to help me. Please let me know
    >
    > BTW, it's not possible for me to ask theVMwareguys through "vm-
    > support" directly because I have no $account$ there ;-)
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    When setting up a new virtual machine under v6, ask for a custom VM
    and set the compatibility to V5. Not all is plain sailing though; X11
    won't work correctly, as the mouse isn't released/captured properly.

    --
    Regards
    Alex McDonald

  8. Re: Error When Installing In VMware

    On May 27, 8:27 pm, alextangent wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 10:57 am, Sean Bray wrote:
    >

    > > I searched through this group but couldn't find any problem similar to
    > > this. Anyone knows, please help me ^_^

    > > I'm trying to install Minix 3.1.2a inVMwareWorkstation(6.0.3
    > > build-80004) under OpenSUSE 10.3. An error dialog showed up right
    > > after I chose "1" -- Regular MINIX3.....

    > > TheVMwaredid show some regular information at the very beginning of
    > > the initialization process:
    > > ================================================== ===================================
    > > ........ /* Ignored */

    > > Building process table: pm fs rs ds tty mem log init.
    > > Physical memory: total 522236 KB, system 5700 KB, free 516536 KB.
    > > PCI: video memory for device at 0.15.0: 134217728 bytes
    > > _
    > > ================================================== ===================================

    > > The last character appeared was the blinking cursor(underscore). Then
    > > the error dialog poped up

    > > Here is the detailed information showed on the dialog box:
    > > ================================================== ===================================VMwareWorkstati on unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
    > > ASSERT /build/mts/release/bora-80004/bora/vmcore/private/
    > > iospace_shared.h:491 bugNr=64440
    > > A log file is available in "/home/kevin/vmware/minix3/vmware.log".
    > > Please request support and include the contents of the log file.
    > > To collect data to submit toVMwaresupport, select Help > About and
    > > click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script
    > > in the Workstation folder directly.
    > > We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
    > > ================================================== ===================================

    > > If there is any other information I can provide to make it easier for
    > > U to help me. Please let me know

    > > BTW, it's not possible for me to ask theVMwareguys through "vm-
    > > support" directly because I have no $account$ there ;-)

    > > Thanks in advance!

    > When setting up a new virtual machine under v6, ask for a custom VM
    > and set the compatibility to V5. Not all is plain sailing though; X11
    > won't work correctly, as the mouse isn't released/captured properly.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Alex McDonald

    Update; using ctrl-g fixes the mouse problem and stops duplicate
    pointers. Probably a lack of VMware tools.

    --
    Regards
    Alex McDonald

+ Reply to Thread