SoC and MINIX status - Minix

This is a discussion on SoC and MINIX status - Minix ; Hi there, Last year I got exposed to minix because of a couse on O.S. at university, and I still have to do some coding on it to finish the course. I felt attracted to the possibility of contributing to ...

  1. SoC and MINIX status

    Hi there,

    Last year I got exposed to minix because of a couse on O.S. at
    university, and I still have to do some coding on it to finish the
    course. I felt attracted to the possibility of contributing to a
    operating system that is still understandable by a newcomer, and now
    I'm interested in participating within the Google SoC program.

    After seeing the proposed projects, I'd like to ask: isn't there any
    interest in fixing the memory handling? The current implementation
    makes working on minix very cumbersome.

    Also, I see as a big drawback of minix the current dependency on the
    minix FS, and lack of a virtual FS, but there aren't any proposals on
    this.

    About the specific projects, I'm interested in the drivers porting,
    but I'd like to know if there's a list of drivers that are wanted, or
    some guideline. Surely there is an idea of what's needed, what's too
    easy and what's impossible for a SoC.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: SoC and MINIX status

    > After seeing the proposed projects, I'd like to ask: isn't there any
    > interest in fixing the memory handling? The current implementation
    > makes working on minix very cumbersome.
    >
    > Also, I see as a big drawback of minix the current dependency on the
    > minix FS, and lack of a virtual FS, but there aren't any proposals on
    > this.

    Virtual memory is already being worked on and to my knowledge a VFS has
    already been implemented (although I think it is not in the current
    release version yet). The PhDs at the VU are working on these projects,
    as you will find here: http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: SoC and MINIX status

    On Mar 29, 3:32 pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:

    > Virtual memory is already being worked on and to my knowledge a VFS has
    > already been implemented (although I think it is not in the current
    > release version yet). The PhDs at the VU are working on these projects,
    > as you will find here:http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html

    OK. I have just seen the vfs code on svn, and look forward for VM.

    Any idea about the drivers stuff?

    Thanks.

  4. Re: SoC and MINIX status

    > > Virtual memory is already being worked on and to my knowledge a VFS
    > > has already been implemented (although I think it is not in the
    > > current release version yet). The PhDs at the VU are working on
    > > these projects, as you will find
    > > here:http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html

    > OK. I have just seen the vfs code on svn, and look forward for VM.
    >
    > Any idea about the drivers stuff?

    About that I know nothing official, but looking at this group I would
    guess that all of the following would be very desirable things to have:
    - USB support
    - Support for wireless networking
    - Support for more ethernet cards

    If you want to know anything specific for the SoC you probably best ask
    Mr. Tanenbaum directly, because AFAIK no-one on this group can offer
    any authoratative answers on these projects.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

+ Reply to Thread