Using Subversion for /usr/src Under Minix3 - Minix

This is a discussion on Using Subversion for /usr/src Under Minix3 - Minix ; On another *networked* machine, I was able to successfully install the http://www.minix3.org/software/subversion-1.4.0.tar.bz2 package. All the normal SVN commands appear to work: 'svnadmin', 'svn', ... So, after setting up a new repo, I attempted to "check in" the entire /usr/src tree. ...

  1. Using Subversion for /usr/src Under Minix3

    On another *networked* machine, I was able to successfully install the

    http://www.minix3.org/software/subversion-1.4.0.tar.bz2

    package.

    All the normal SVN commands appear to work: 'svnadmin', 'svn', ...

    So, after setting up a new repo, I attempted to "check in" the entire
    /usr/src tree.

    The "svn import" command worked for a while, but eventually stopped
    with the following messages:

    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Adding commands/bzip2-1.0.3/manual.ps
    ABORT instruction (core dumped)

    I thought it might be a "stack/heap" memory issue, so used 'chmem' to
    set the memory allocation to 7MB. That made no difference. :-(

    Have others had problems with SVN?

    Any help appreciated,
    --
    Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu
    Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

  2. Re: Using Subversion for /usr/src Under Minix3

    > The "svn import" command worked for a while, but eventually stopped
    > with the following messages:
    >
    > ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    > Adding commands/bzip2-1.0.3/manual.ps
    > ABORT instruction (core dumped)
    >
    > I thought it might be a "stack/heap" memory issue, so used 'chmem' to
    > set the memory allocation to 7MB. That made no difference. :-(
    >
    > Have others had problems with SVN?

    When following the instructions here, it works for me (on Minix 3.1.2a):

    http://www.minix3.org/tracking-current.html

    In particular the instructions tell you to use the "checkout" command.

    This error message as such does not mean that memory ran out; it just
    means that some program committed suicide, intentionally causing a core
    dump. Although that could be a response to a failed memory allocation,
    ISTM that in that that case any sane programmer would make the program
    first print a message telling what error occurred.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: Using Subversion for /usr/src Under Minix3

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:55:01 +0000, "Erik van der Kouwe"
    >> The "svn import" command worked for a while, but eventually stopped
    >> with the following messages:
    >>
    >> ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    >> Adding commands/bzip2-1.0.3/manual.ps ABORT instruction
    >> (core dumped)
    >>
    >> I thought it might be a "stack/heap" memory issue, so used 'chmem' to
    >> set the memory allocation to 7MB. That made no difference. :-(
    >>
    >> Have others had problems with SVN?

    > When following the instructions here, it works for me (on Minix 3.1.2a):
    >
    > http://www.minix3.org/tracking-current.html
    >
    > In particular the instructions tell you to use the "checkout" command.

    Wasn't the OP's query about creating his own repository of /usr/src,
    rather than using the "official" one?

    B.

  4. Re: Using Subversion for /usr/src Under Minix3

    > Wasn't the OP's query about creating his own repository of /usr/src,
    > rather than using the "official" one?

    Correct.

    -Kenneth

+ Reply to Thread