WEBMIN on MINIX - Minix

This is a discussion on WEBMIN on MINIX - Minix ; SOS Please help me How to install WEBMIN on Minix 3? Webmin was born from Perl Minix 3 support Perl interpreter Webmin work properly on both Unix & Linux Webmin also work properly on another's family OS on Windosw XP ...

  1. WEBMIN on MINIX

    SOS
    Please help me
    How to install WEBMIN on Minix 3?
    Webmin was born from Perl
    Minix 3 support Perl interpreter
    Webmin work properly on both Unix & Linux
    Webmin also work properly on another's family OS on Windosw XP
    why Minix 3 not?
    Thanks

  2. Re: WEBMIN on MINIX

    learnminix@gmail.com wrote:
    > SOS
    > Please help me
    > How to install WEBMIN on Minix 3?
    > Webmin was born from Perl
    > Minix 3 support Perl interpreter
    > Webmin work properly on both Unix & Linux
    > Webmin also work properly on another's family OS on Windosw XP
    > why Minix 3 not?

    Please start by telling:

    - what is WEBMIN?
    - what goes wrong?
    - what have you tried to fix the problem?

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: WEBMIN on MINIX

    Hi Smit, first, thank for your attention.

    What is WEBMIN?
    Almost all the development of Webmin was done by Jamie Cameron, though
    many people have contributed patches and translations into additional
    languages. There are also many third-party modules that were developed
    by other people separately.
    please see at:
    http://www.webmin.com/

    Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix.
    Using any modern web browser, you can setup user accounts, Apache,
    DNS, file sharing and much more. Webmin removes the need to manually
    edit Unix configuration files like /etc/passwd, and lets you manage a
    system from the console or remotely. See the standard modules page for
    a list of all the functions built into Webmin.

    Webmin consists of a simple web server, and a number of CGI programs
    which directly update system files like /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/
    passwd. The web server and all CGI programs are written in Perl
    version 5, and use no non-standard Perl modules
    please see at:
    http://www.webmin.com/intro.html

    What goes wrong?
    I am just amatir or common user.
    I still learn Minix, no wrong.
    My last quetion is just hipotesys!
    I am sure Webmin can porting or istalled on Minix.
    But Regardles,
    both Minix and Webmin does not include packcage each other to work
    togehter .
    I hope Mr. Andrew S. Tanenbaum will create new release that contain
    webmin packcage .
    OR
    I hope Mr. Jamie Cameron will create new release Webmin package foe
    Minix
    OR
    Mybe you interested then you create new developtment. Please send
    info and package how to install

    here we go additonal info:
    Webmin Supported Systems
    http://www.webmin.com/support.html

    Because different Unix-like operating systems and Linux distributions
    use different locations for their various config files, Webmin can
    only support systems for which it has been configured. The following
    operating systems are supported by version 1.410 of Webmin :

    AlphaCore Linux
    APLINUX
    Asianux
    BigBlock
    BSDI
    Caixa Magica
    Caldera OpenLinux
    Caldera OpenLinux eServer
    cAos Linux
    Cendio LBS Linux
    CentOS Linux
    Cobalt Linux
    Coherent Technology Linux
    Conectiva Linux
    Corel Linux
    Corvus Latinux
    Cygwin
    Darwin
    Debian Linux
    DEC/Compaq OSF/1
    DragonFly BSD
    Endian Firewall Linux
    FreeBSD
    Generic Linux
    Gentoo Linux
    Gralinux
    Haansoft Linux
    HP/UX
    IBM AIX
    Immunix Linux
    Lanthan Linux
    LinuxPPC
    Lycoris Desktop/LX
    Mac OS X
    Mandrake Linux
    Mandrake Linux Corporate Server
    Mandriva Linux
    Mepis Linux
    MSC Linux
    NeoShine Linux
    NetBSD
    OpenBSD
    OpenDarwin
    openmamba Linux
    OpenNA Linux
    pclinuxos Linux
    Playstation Linux
    Redhat Enterprise Linux
    Redhat Linux
    Redhat Linux Desktop
    SCI Linux
    Scientific Linux
    SCO OpenServer
    SCO UnixWare
    Secure Linux
    SGI Irix
    Slackware Linux
    Slamd64 Linux
    SoL Linux
    StartCom Linux
    Sun Java Desktop System
    Sun Solaris
    SuSE Linux
    SuSE OpenExchange Linux
    SuSE SLES Linux
    Tao Linux
    Tawie Server Linux
    ThizLinux Desktop
    ThizServer
    TinySofa Linux
    Trustix
    Trustix SE
    TurboLinux
    Ubuntu Linux
    United Linux
    Ute Linux
    White Dwarf Linux
    Whitebox Linux
    Windows
    X/OS Linux
    Xandros Linux
    Yellow Dog Linux
    Yoper Linux

    The best supported systems at the moment are Solaris, Linux (Redhat in
    particular) and FreeBSD.

    No Minix, yet ?

    So my hipotesys is if Unix, Linux & Windows XP (on XP with complicated
    setup) can workproperly why Minix not?

    Other Qusetion?
    Is there a place hosting provider than support Minix OS?
    I will purchase hosting but everyday I search by google and yahoo but
    stil not found a hosting company that support Minix.

    I going flirck with Minix because using Minix my old PC 386/486 wih
    bold dust, know run again

    J.F. de Smit wrote:
    > learnminix@gmail.com wrote:
    > > SOS
    > > Please help me
    > > How to install WEBMIN on Minix 3?
    > > Webmin was born from Perl
    > > Minix 3 support Perl interpreter
    > > Webmin work properly on both Unix & Linux
    > > Webmin also work properly on another's family OS on Windosw XP
    > > why Minix 3 not?

    > Please start by telling:
    >
    > - what is WEBMIN?
    > - what goes wrong?
    > - what have you tried to fix the problem?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >

    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfdsmit@few.vu.nl | http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

  4. Re: WEBMIN on MINIX

    > What goes wrong?
    > I am just amatir or common user.
    > I still learn Minix, no wrong.
    > My last quetion is just hipotesys!
    > I am sure Webmin can porting or istalled on Minix.
    > But Regardles,
    > both Minix and Webmin does not include packcage each other to work
    > togehter .

    > So my hipotesys is if Unix, Linux & Windows XP (on XP with complicated
    > setup) can workproperly why Minix not?
    >
    > Other Qusetion?
    > Is there a place hosting provider than support Minix OS?
    > I will purchase hosting but everyday I search by google and yahoo but
    > stil not found a hosting company that support Minix.

    Although Minix is quite capable of running web servers, and it would
    probably be quite possible to port this program to Minix, running these
    sorts of things are not to a main goal of the Minix project. The main
    aims for Minix are to be

    - useful for education (teaching Operating Systems and related courses)

    - be a reliable OS for embedded systems

    Therefore I would expect porting of this kind software to have very low
    priority for most Minix developers.

    You can, however, attempt to port it yourself. The first step would be
    to download the source code, attempt to compile and check where it
    fails. If you find any problems you don't understand you can ask people
    here to help you. If you succeed in porting the project, you can send
    it in and it will probably be released as a packman package.

    If you are looking to learn something about operating systems, this
    might be a great oppertunity and would be very recommendable. If, on
    the other hand, you are looking for a cheap and easy to manage
    (web)server, you may do well to take a look at Linux or BSD instead.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  5. Re: WEBMIN on MINIX

    On Mar 29, 4:36*pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > > What goes wrong?
    > > I am just amatir or common user.
    > > I still learn Minix, no wrong.
    > > My last quetion is just hipotesys!
    > > I am sure Webmin can porting or istalled on Minix.
    > > But Regardles,
    > > both Minix and Webmin does not include packcage each other to work
    > > togehter .

    > > So my hipotesys is if Unix, Linux & Windows XP (on XP with complicated
    > > setup) can workproperly why Minix not?

    > > Other Qusetion?
    > > Is there a place hosting provider than support Minix OS?
    > > I will purchase hosting but everyday I search by google and yahoo but
    > > stil not found a hosting company that support Minix.

    > Although Minix is quite capable of running web servers, and it would
    > probably be quite possible to port this program to Minix, running these
    > sorts of things are not to a main goal of the Minix project. The main
    > aims for Minix are to be
    >
    > - useful for education (teaching Operating Systems and related courses)
    >
    > - be a reliable OS for embedded systems
    >
    > Therefore I would expect porting of this kind software to have very low
    > priority for most Minix developers.
    >
    > You can, however, attempt to port it yourself. The first step would be
    > to download the source code, attempt to compile and check where it
    > fails. If you find any problems you don't understand you can ask people
    > here to help you. If you succeed in porting the project, you can send
    > it in and it will probably be released as a packman package.
    >
    > If you are looking to learn something about operating systems, this
    > might be a great oppertunity and would be very recommendable. If, on
    > the other hand, you are looking for a cheap and easy to manage
    > (web)server, you may do well to take a look at Linux or BSD instead.
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

    Hi, Mr Erick

    Thank for your information.
    wow, surprise, i will learn porting via source code.
    i am sure it make me going to be hard head ace again after succes
    install webmin on windows XP, do you know i need 3 month to do it .
    i learn it for what is patiance error massege is my friend
    i bet for my self mybe i need more than 5 years to port webmin on
    Minix , because my background study is landscape architecture, every
    day i kissing a flower and leaf and know i get chalange face to face
    with black screen console, o my dear...but i will try it for schole
    i hope get a miracle, any IT student read this forum than developt it
    for homework project paper, than finish for less than 3 month. than
    inform me

    With warm regards
    Drost

  6. Re: WEBMIN on MINIX

    On 2008-03-29, learnminix02@gmail.com wrote:

    > i bet for my self mybe i need more than 5 years to port webmin on
    > Minix , because my background study is landscape architecture, every

    You need to offer something in return. Like find a programmer who
    need to bury some bodies.

    Or the suggestion for a different Unix version was a good one.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

+ Reply to Thread