guide on porting various applications to minix. - Minix

This is a discussion on guide on porting various applications to minix. - Minix ; Hello everybody, I am new to MINIX 3, and interested in project "Porting application programs to MINIX 3". Can anyone please guide me how one can use application's source in linux to port in minix? Warm regards, Prashant keshvani...

  1. guide on porting various applications to minix.

    Hello everybody,
    I am new to MINIX 3, and interested in
    project "Porting application programs to MINIX 3". Can anyone please
    guide me how one can use application's source in linux to port in
    minix?

    Warm regards,
    Prashant keshvani

  2. Re: guide on porting various applications to minix.

    On Mar 24, 3:38*pm, Prashant Keshvani wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I am new to MINIX 3, and interested in
    > project "Porting application programs to MINIX 3". Can anyone please
    > guide me how one can use application's source in linux to port in
    > minix?

    In short:

    1 Download the source in Minix.
    2 Run configure/make.
    3 See where it goes wrong.
    4 Fix it.
    5 Goto 2

    Marco

  3. Re: guide on porting various applications to minix.

    On Mar 24, 5:46 pm, Marco Slot wrote:
    > On Mar 24, 3:38 pm, Prashant Keshvani wrote:
    >
    > > Hello everybody,
    > > I am new to MINIX 3, and interested in
    > > project "Porting application programs to MINIX 3". Can anyone please
    > > guide me how one can use application's source in linux to port in
    > > minix?

    > In short:
    >
    > 1 Download the source in Minix.
    > 2 Run configure/make.
    > 3 See where it goes wrong.
    > 4 Fix it.
    > 5 Goto 2
    >
    > Marco

    When people said port a App. to Minix 3; Does it means port a
    application to be compatible with the ACK compiler or can be port
    using GCC over Minix3?

    If both options are valid Which is peferred?

  4. Re: guide on porting various applications to minix.

    > When people said port a App. to Minix 3; Does it means port a
    > application to be compatible with the ACK compiler or can be port
    > using GCC over Minix3?
    >
    > If both options are valid Which is peferred?

    AFAIK both are allowed but ACK is preferred, since it

    - is the default for the platform

    - reduces the dependency on a separately installed package, making it
    easier to compile and compilable on smaller systems

    - produces binaries that are more Minix-friendly (split instruction and
    data segments, which makes fork less memory-hungry)

    Standard-complaint code generally has little trouble compiling on ACK,
    but if code is non-compliant and/or relies on specifics of the GCC
    compiler it can be very hard and not worth the effort to get it compile
    on ACK.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  5. Re: guide on porting various applications to minix.

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Prashant Keshvani wrote:

    > Hello everybody,
    > I am new to MINIX 3, and interested in
    > project "Porting application programs to MINIX 3". Can anyone please
    > guide me how one can use application's source in linux to port in
    > minix?
    >
    > Warm regards,
    > Prashant keshvani

    Hi Prashant,

    There is some documentation available on the MPlayer to MINIX port. It
    might be interesting for you to see what kind of problems had to be solved. It
    is available on www.few.vu.nl/~hphijma . You can also find the complete
    source there and the filechanges to the MPlayer source.

    Kind regards,

    Pieter
    --

  6. Re: guide on porting various applications to minix.

    On Mar 28, 2:27 am, Pieter Hijma wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Prashant Keshvani wrote:
    > > Hello everybody,
    > > I am new to MINIX 3, and interested in
    > > project "Porting application programs to MINIX 3". Can anyone please
    > > guide me how one can use application's source in linux to port in
    > > minix?

    > > Warm regards,
    > > Prashant keshvani

    > Hi Prashant,
    >
    > There is some documentation available on the MPlayer to MINIX port. It
    > might be interesting for you to see what kind of problems had to be solved. It
    > is available onwww.few.vu.nl/~hphijma. You can also find the complete
    > source there and the filechanges to the MPlayer source.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Pieter
    > --

    Dear Pieter,
    Thanks for the document. This will definitely help
    understanding porting process.
    Thanks again, :-)
    Warm regards,
    Prashant Keshvani