Trouble with X11 - Minix

This is a discussion on Trouble with X11 - Minix ; I currently have installed MINIX 3 onto my computer, I using packman installed X11, and other programs but when ever I try to run X11 nothing happens. Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix this problem?...

  1. Trouble with X11

    I currently have installed MINIX 3 onto my computer, I using packman
    installed X11, and other programs but when ever I try to run X11
    nothing happens. Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix
    this problem?

  2. Re: Trouble with X11

    On Mar 23, 5:42 am, nolan wrote:
    > I currently have installed MINIX 3 onto my computer, I using packman
    > installed X11, and other programs but when ever I try to run X11
    > nothing happens. Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix
    > this problem?

    Check to see if it is telling you a message about there not being
    enough memory. Try starting x with either the command xdm, or startx
    and check the output. You may need to ctrl-c after a while to kill
    the process and check the output.
    Minix doesn't handle memory the same as other nix's. X11 may not have
    been allocated enough memory to start by default. Read the man page
    for chmem and specifically think about how you may need to chmem + xdm
    until it has enough memory to start.

    I hope this helps.

    Neil

  3. Re: Trouble with X11

    On Mar 26, 12:23 am, ndavenport wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 5:42 am, nolan wrote:
    >
    > > I currently have installed MINIX 3 onto my computer, I using packman
    > > installed X11, and other programs but when ever I try to run X11
    > > nothing happens. Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix
    > > this problem?

    > Check to see if it is telling you a message about there not being
    > enough memory. Try starting x with either the command xdm, or startx
    > and check the output. You may need to ctrl-c after a while to kill
    > the process and check the output.
    > Minix doesn't handle memory the same as other nix's. X11 may not have
    > been allocated enough memory to start by default. Read the man page
    > for chmem and specifically think about how you may need to chmem + xdm
    > until it has enough memory to start.
    >
    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > Neil

    I forgot to mention before that the error that Minix gives about there
    not being enough memory is a bit cryptic.
    pm_exec_:exec_newmap failed : -12
    Means it doesn't have enough memory.

    Neil

+ Reply to Thread