GSoC application - Minix

This is a discussion on GSoC application - Minix ; I've made out the application as described in [ http://www.minix3.org/soc/application.html ]. Whom do I submit it to now?...

  1. GSoC application

    I've made out the application as described in [ http://www.minix3.org/soc/application.html
    ]. Whom do I submit it to now?

  2. Re: GSoC application

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:13:27 -0700, artagnon wrote:

    > I've made out the application as described in [
    > http://www.minix3.org/soc/application.html ]. Whom do I submit it to
    > now?

    I don't believe Minix was accepted into GSoC this year. (They're not
    obviously on the list of mentoring organisations on Google's website,
    anyway).

    If you wish to contribute to Minux outside of GSoC, I suspect the best
    place to talk about it is here.

    B.

  3. Re: GSoC application

    On Mar 21, 8:43*pm, Rob Kendrick wrote:
    > I don't believe Minix was accepted into GSoC this year. *(They're not
    > obviously on the list of mentoring organisations on Google's website,
    > anyway).

    Guess again.
    http://code.google.com/soc/2008/minix/about.html

    Submission goes through Google and is not yet open, but will be very
    soon.
    http://code.google.com/opensource/gs...l#0.1_timeline

    Marco

  4. Re: GSoC application

    Right. Thanks.

  5. Re: GSoC application

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:56:56 -0700, Marco Slot wrote:

    > On Mar 21, 8:43*pm, Rob Kendrick wrote:
    >> I don't believe Minix was accepted into GSoC this year. *(They're not
    >> obviously on the list of mentoring organisations on Google's website,
    >> anyway).

    > Guess again.
    > http://code.google.com/soc/2008/minix/about.html

    Ah: I just couldn't find it by searching for "minix" on
    http://code.google.com/soc/2008/

    B.

  6. Re: GSoC application

    Another thing. On the application page [http://www.minix3.org/soc/
    application.html], it says that two pdfs should be submitted. Won't
    the Google submission forms only let me submit plain text? How do I
    submit a pdf proposal then?

  7. Re: GSoC application

    On Mar 23, 11:34 am, artagnon wrote:
    > Another thing. On the application page [http://www.minix3.org/soc/
    > application.html], it says that two pdfs should be submitted. Won't
    > the Google submission forms only let me submit plain text? How do I
    > submit a pdf proposal then?

    Even I would like to know about this! I have prepared the application
    and have no clue what to do further!
    please someone be quick to answer

  8. Re: GSoC application

    meet wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 11:34 am, artagnon wrote:
    >> Another thing. On the application page [http://www.minix3.org/soc/
    >> application.html], it says that two pdfs should be submitted. Won't
    >> the Google submission forms only let me submit plain text? How do I
    >> submit a pdf proposal then?

    > Even I would like to know about this! I have prepared the application
    > and have no clue what to do further!
    > please someone be quick to answer

    As has been stated by posts above, _submissions are not yet open_. I.e. no
    rush. If you want submit PDF, you can probably use ghostscript to turn
    your plain text into PDF or otherwise use LaTeX to create some markup
    (might be nice if you want to impress) and then convert the stuuf to PDF.
    Look around on your system for the following commands:

    a2ps - convert plain text into somewhat-formatted Postscript
    ps2pdf
    latex
    dvipdf
    pdflatex

    Good luck

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  9. Re: GSoC application

    On Mar 25, 12:53 pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > meet wrote:
    > > On Mar 23, 11:34 am, artagnon wrote:
    > >> Another thing. On the application page [http://www.minix3.org/soc/
    > >> application.html], it says that two pdfs should be submitted. Won't
    > >> the Google submission forms only let me submit plain text? How do I
    > >> submit a pdf proposal then?

    > > Even I would like to know about this! I have prepared the application
    > > and have no clue what to do further!
    > > please someone be quick to answer

    > As has been stated by posts above, _submissions are not yet open_. I.e. no
    > rush. If you want submit PDF, you can probably use ghostscript to turn
    > your plain text into PDF or otherwise use LaTeX to create some markup
    > (might be nice if you want to impress) and then convert the stuuf to PDF.
    > Look around on your system for the following commands:
    >
    > a2ps - convert plain text into somewhat-formatted Postscript
    > ps2pdf
    > latex
    > dvipdf
    > pdflatex
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    Actually, the GSoC application was open since March 24th

  10. Re: GSoC application

    On Mar 25, 3:53 pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > meet wrote:
    > > On Mar 23, 11:34 am, artagnon wrote:
    > >> Another thing. On the application page [http://www.minix3.org/soc/
    > >> application.html], it says that two pdfs should be submitted. Won't
    > >> the Google submission forms only let me submit plain text? How do I
    > >> submit a pdf proposal then?

    > > Even I would like to know about this! I have prepared the application
    > > and have no clue what to do further!
    > > please someone be quick to answer

    > As has been stated by posts above, _submissions are not yet open_. I.e. no
    > rush. If you want submit PDF, you can probably use ghostscript to turn
    > your plain text into PDF or otherwise use LaTeX to create some markup
    > (might be nice if you want to impress) and then convert the stuuf to PDF.
    > Look around on your system for the following commands:
    >
    > a2ps - convert plain text into somewhat-formatted Postscript
    > ps2pdf
    > latex
    > dvipdf
    > pdflatex
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Deanow

    Dude if you are wise enough please re read my question.
    I very well know how to convert text into pdf but the problem is on
    soc site you can submit just plain text.
    How to submit pdf!!!!
    thats my question not how to make

  11. Re: GSoC application

    meet wrote:
    > On Mar 25, 3:53 pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    >> meet wrote:

    > Dude if you are wise enough please re read my question.
    > I very well know how to convert text into pdf but the problem is on
    > soc site you can submit just plain text.
    > How to submit pdf!!!!
    > thats my question not how to make

    I've re-read your question and stand by my primary interpretation.
    However, now that I understand the intent of your question let me give you
    a simple answer: I don't know. This is probably a discrepancy between
    Andy's page and the Google SoC guidelines. Seeing how it's Google who's
    calling the shots on this procedure, I suggest you convert your proposal
    into plain text and submit that. If you really want to submit PDF, try
    e-mailing somebody who is responsible for either the Minix project page or
    the SoC programme. The regulars in this newsgroup are primarily Minix
    enthusiasts, not the people who organize the SoC projects. Good luck with
    your application!

    Regards,

    Jens

    --